List of 5 Best EAs that Actually Work and make Money

****. Looks like I can't find a pre-build 500 version of metaeditor!

Do one of you guys have an ex4 of XEv2.1?

I've noticed that creating new EAs in Metaeditor makes ex4s without any issue, so clearly there is something in the code that's causing MT4 build 500 to break somewhere. Looks like I'll have to trawl through the code to find it, and while I'm at it, I'll rename all the variables on the off-chance that MT4 editor has gained the ability to recognise decompiled variables.

I also had an idea about how they may have improved Pyramid 8.

What if one of the grid trades was big enough to clear out all the lock and average trades? That would almost certainly keep the risk and margin levels really way down low.

It would mean that the EA would be less aggressive, but safety is everything with EAs....

Edited by Rio

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK! Well I finally found a copy of MetaEditor build 482 lying around, so I managed to get a compile of Pyramid XEv2.1 into ex4. I hope this helps everyone out who was having problems.

I hope MetaTrader gets fixed in future. Hopefully this ex4 will tide all of us over until we find out what the future holds for MT4. In any case we have source code, so even if we had to, we could port the EA to another platform!

I've reuploaded the EA with the ex4 included, and edited the manual to reflect what I've learnt since releasing XEv2.1

http://[email protected]/zip/vgRgwdi_/pyxev21.html

Don't forget thanks!

All through this thread. If you download the EA, I included a very lengthy manual to explain what it does and how it works.

Oops, yes there is a manual...

Maybe when I 1st read the manual, I stopped half way.... hahahaa

Very lengthy indeed, and no pictures... (me, asking too much! hahaa)

I'll have to read it again slowly and try to figure out why it closes and opens trades in the same direction, wasting spread and commission?

Thank you so much!

Oops, yes there is a manual...

Maybe when I 1st read the manual, I stopped half way.... hahahaa

Very lengthy indeed, and no pictures... (me, asking too much! hahaa)

I'll have to read it again slowly and try to figure out why it closes and opens trades in the same direction, wasting spread and commission?

Thank you so much!

No problem. There are no pictures. If anything you *should* be demoing this for a few months or so until you can follow the trading on the screen in front of you ;)

It gets it's direction from MAs... but often gets it wrong.

Quite recently it did this on EURUSD. EU had been rising for days and the other night it dropped hard and cleared out a lot of averaging orders. Unforutnately the MAs where still thinking uptrend when the price was now clearly in downtrend... so I got a lot of buy grid stops and good downward movement was wasted until the locking hedge was hit and it could correct itself.

Unfortunately that wastes good trading time.... but if anything it is a lesson about Moving Averages, and how MA crossovers get exploited by the market (and why moving average crossover systems typically fail more often than not!). In our case it is all hedged anyway so you are not going to lose any money when you have lots of equity and low risk.

From what I understand, Pyramid 8.01 is more accurate with it's MAs because it uses three instead of two, and additionally it's more intelligent with them so it doesn't throw as many averaging trades on (protecting your equity and enabling lower leverage).

Unfortunately that EA is protected with a DLL.... but if someone here can break DLLs, perhaps we will all get a chance to try it out and see if that's true or not....

In any case, so far this month, running both EU and GU sets at 0.11 risk, I am up close to 10% this month. Given 3-5 years it should be making more than my day job. Happy days ahead as long as the world economy doesn't go to hell, (in which case we will all have bigger problems than just a few thousand dollars wasted trying to fund this EA to get it started!), and MetaQuotes don't break MT4 entirely with their ****** updates.

Hey everyone.

I've just noticed that the latest build 509 won't compile the EA either, but this time it gives a reason!

"using of decompiled source code is prohibited"

Wow, that's breathtakingly evil. My guess is that they're picking up how many times typical decompiled variables are seen in the code and then making a rough guess that it's been decompiled.

Looks like my guess was correct and I will have to make a v2.2 and rename all the variables, and make some other cosmetic changes to fool the compiler!

If this is what they've done, they're only going to stop the casual decompilation of rubbish EAs. They're not going to stop people dedicated enough to get a decent EA or indicator decompile to work.

Give them more work to do, yes. Stop them outright, no.

If anything, this means fewer junk educated commercial EAs are going to be floating about. I suppose that this only can be a good thing.

I have a zipped and backed up version of MetaEditor build 482, but I think that it's only a matter of time before EAs compiled with build 482 are blocked, so I'd better get to work.

Edited by Rio

Well who are MetaQuotes kidding?

I went and renamed all the variables, and now the EA compiles on build 509!

In fact I read around the internet that all you really have to do is remove all the underscores from the decompiled variables and it'll defeat the new decompile check.

I honestly don't know what drugs MetaQuotes are smoking. It will just mean that more recent decompilers will allow the user to input their own variable renaming method and defeat this check anyway. What a waste of time!

With Pyramid XE, I actually took the time to try and figure out what the variables do, so now anybody looking at the code might actually have a clue as to how it works and does what it does. This should make it easier in future to translate the EA to other (future) systems.

Also, I cleaned the code up a bit and removed some useless variables still floating about in the code.

I'm going to double check my work (I don't want to have made any mistakes!) and test this new version a bit before releasing it. With so many changes I don't want the wrong variable being input. I would expect v2.2 to work just like 2.1

By the time XEv2.1 is made broken by future updates to MT4, I will have XEv2.2 out, so don't worry ;)

RIO:

hmm, made a backtest yesterday, with your 5 digit preset, from jan. 2010 on GBP/USD...

i tried with both 2000$ and 5000$, and tried changing to a smaller risk level, but no matter what, it seems that the test used the same lot sizes, and crashed due to drawdown....

could there be some broker related issue? (my first guess was something like if the broker did not allow microlots, that the EA then just goes up to 0.1 automatically?)

RIO:

hmm, made a backtest yesterday, with your 5 digit preset, from jan. 2010 on GBP/USD...

i tried with both 2000$ and 5000$, and tried changing to a smaller risk level, but no matter what, it seems that the test used the same lot sizes, and crashed due to drawdown....

It's due to the fact that the MT4 strategy tester is a piece of ****. For the most part you only get 90% accuracy, and that missing 10% makes all the difference in the world.

This is why most of these curve-fitted EAs never work too. Basing your trading strategy on a hopelessly inaccurate strategy tester is a one-way trip to failure.

Also the EA reacts to the knowledge that it is being run in a tester and behaves differently. Some of the order opening and position closing routines skip bits out of them when run in a tester. In my opinion, the strategy testing in MT4 is only useful to test that your EA actually works and opens trades.

Additionally you may have broker issues. The broker requirements for this EA are quite strict. If you lack enough leverage (1:500 is best) and do not have micro lot with 0.01 lot step, then yes, this EA can blow up. If you only had $5000 in the tester, and the EA starts opening your grid trades to 0.1 lots, then that's the reason the EA tanked in the tester! The broker is not giving you microlots, and that is a huge problem.

0.1 lots is TOO MUCH for a base lot for opening grid trades. You should have only seen 0.01 lots opened at the start, or possibly 0.02 lots for initial grid trades if you balance gets close to $5500.

I'm a lot more interested in live results. I have run this EA live now for close to a year and no blowups. Only profits.

Edited by Rio

Im Also running a forward test while scratching The 1500$ together you Recomend, but im Only On 800 so far for this Project, so gona forward test a couple of Month more...

Im Considering trying to grow The 800 with The "Volatility Factor" EA (and a very low risk Setting), while earning some More on my Day job :)

Im Also running a forward test while scratching The 1500$ together you Recomend, but im Only On 800 so far for this Project, so gona forward test a couple of Month more...

Im Considering trying to grow The 800 with The "Volatility Factor" EA (and a very low risk Setting), while earning some More on my Day job :)

absolutely test, test and test... don't believe what I say. It's your money, and realistically it could blow up at any time - although if that happens to you, it's probably happened to me too!

You really have to see it for yourself before you can trust it. I wrote a huge manual document to help.... but at the end of the day forex is risky and you have to be prepared to eat losses. So far with this EA, that hasn't happened. If I can drive it long enough to be able to profit enough in one month to withdraw my initial deposit, then I win.

I have read your Manual, and thank you For doing such Great Work!

We All Know that forex Is risky, to me its A hobby, on my Main account i do semi-automatic trading, having an EA to asist me, so that i dont have to look at my account At all times, but have time to do my Day job :-D

The trading system i use there is a multilevel hedging grid that constantly have a Big drawdown due to many open positions, but also Have lots of Gain..

So im looking for ways to spread my Risk, by using different Systems on different Accounts And brokers

I apoligize for all The words with Big letters, but my iPhone keeps correcting my words #%^*# :-)

Edited by Sepp Malec

We All Know that forex Is risky, to me its A hobby, on my Main account i do semi-automatic trading, having an EA to asist me, so that i dont have to look at my account At all times, but have time to do my Day job :-D

It's not a hobby to the banks!

I firmly believe that if you cannot read the market accurately, you have to hedge to stay alive in forex. Much better to be very accurate however, but EAs can't really do this.

Just for everyone's information, the Pyramid XEv2.1 made close to 10% last month on my account. This was running EU and GU at 0.15 risk with an account size of $5000. I'll keep it set like this for the forseeable future. Just doing the math on having 10% increase in account per month means that the EA will take a few years until it makes enough per month that I should be able to withdraw my initial startup funds from the profit of a single month of running the EA.

5% a month is good, but 10% per month is really good for an EA.

I'm currently tinkering with an XE2.2 that builds on the latest buld 500+ MT4. Also I'm having a look at snippets of the Pyramid 8 code (thanks to the guy who sent me a decomplied version of that one) to see if I can backport any fixes made in that version back to XE... although I cannot see the dll functions so I can't implement all Pyramid 8 changes. I did note that Pyramid 8 works by using three MAs on different timeframes to determine lock and averaging trade position placement. This differs to 5.2 which only seems to use two MAs to determine trend direction only.

Edited by Rio

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is, at last. I tested it for long enough and it seems to work just like v2.1, or at least I can't see any problems. There are no changes in the strategy. The code was simply fixed and cleaned up some more to compile on build 500 and above. Also I added a display for the leverage on the chart.

In fact if you want to study the code, it should be a lot easier now that the variables all make some sense.

If you're running XEv2.1 then you should be able to drop XEv2.2 in it's place and have it take over with all your trades. (Don't forget to apply your presets again!)

Don't forget to say thanks! This effort took a fair bit of work.

PS. The EA racked up over 10% this month on my live account. (Max drawdown was around 25%)

http://www.4shared.com/zip/IViBLvrH/pyxev22.html

A rather lengthy and detailed manual text file is contained in the package which goes into heavy detail about everything I know about the EA, how it works, and exactly how to use it. Please read and do sufficient testing in demo before running this EA live.

This EA is a hacked EA and of course, cannot come with any warranty if you lose money because you can't use it properly.

Of course, I cannot be held responsible if it makes you a boatload of money either. :P

Edited by Rio

Hi Rio, installed on FXPrimus demo acct using recommended pairs and presets. EURGBP runs fine.

The other 2 pairs give me this:

2013.07.25 13:41:31 Pyramid_XE2-2 GBPUSD,M30: Critical error! Expert Advisor stopped!

2013.07.25 13:38:52 '217780456': order buy stop 0.10 GBPUSD opening at 1.5366 sl: 0.0000 tp: 1.5384 failed [Trade is disabled]

If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Hi Rio, installed on FXPrimus demo acct using recommended pairs and presets. EURGBP runs fine.

The other 2 pairs give me this:

2013.07.25 13:41:31 Pyramid_XE2-2 GBPUSD,M30: Critical error! Expert Advisor stopped!

2013.07.25 13:38:52 '217780456': order buy stop 0.10 GBPUSD opening at 1.5366 sl: 0.0000 tp: 1.5384 failed [Trade is disabled]

Looks like a broker issue. Did you read the broker requirements in the manual?

I know that nobody reads manuals anymore, but for this it's quite important.

How much money in your demo account? I'm suspicious that you aren't getting micro-lots from your broker because unless you have a huge demo account of over $10,000, the EA shouldn't be starting out with 0.1 lot grid trades. If you can't use micro lots, I think there is a way to use the EA, but you have to change one of the EA input settings (try setting alfa_lot = 1). In any case, I have not tried this.

Again, it's worth repeating that the broker requirements are fairly strict, but there's no reason why most brokers can't offer a decent environment for the EA.

Perhaps I can add a routine to the EA that will test it for being a decent environment in which to trade, before it starts doing anything.

Edited by Rio

Hi Rio, thanks for the quick response.

I know this broker is fine for micro lots. The problem seemed to be that EURUSD and GBPUSD are listed twice in Market Watch. Scrolled down the list to the second entries, set both up again and all good.

Thanks for all your hard work!

How long have you run this on a live account Rio?

I started September last year.

Still making cash every month with no blow-up.

Mind you that I started on educated 5.2MA and continued using all the way through various hacks until XEv2.2, which I am using live now.

When i was using 5.2MA I had to manually intervene on it fairly often because of the locking bug which I fixed. XEv2.2 is very much "hands-off" now, and it builds on the latest MT4.

This month has just finished. Up 15% for the month! .... many thanks to price gap jumps on news announcements for jumping well over break-even when it came time to close all the trades out - resulting in some solid profit gains.

Edited by Rio