List of 5 Best EAs that Actually Work and make Money

Hi Rio,

What will happen if MT4 terminal is restarted ? Can this EA continue managing current trades?

Yes it can. The EA is actually quite resilient because it uses pending orders. Pending orders are already sent to the server, so random disconnects don't interrupt it too much. Grid trades will open and close out without intervention,

Two things to watch is that you aren't disconnected when the EA sees fit to close all it's trades in a locking/averaging break-even, otherwise it will miss it's opportunity. On the bright side though, if it stays disconnected and price continues to push past the locking/averging trades and then the terminal reconnects, you can end up with a lot of profit.

The other thing to watch is that the EA is connected when it needs to place locking and averaging orders.

Personally I use the "Reconnect EA" alongside this EA and other EAs. You will notice how you connection to the broker often can cut out, and the Reconnect EA will notice this and try to push you back online as soon as it can. You should be able to do a search for that EA on the internet and find it easily enough. I wouldn't run EAs live without it.

Upon a computer and terminal restart, the EA scans the trades available to it. It does this by reading the trade comments to determine what kinds of trades it has. (Pro-Tip... do NOT mess with the trade comments!).

The EA can start up afresh and figure out what it needs to do given the trades available to it.

Edited by Rio

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I discovered the source of the "bug"

I accidently had TWO terminals running the EA on my live account since I updated the PC it runs on last weekend! Of course I couldn't see the second trade in the logs because it was on the other running terminal! I didn't notice the other terminal instance on the PCs task bar!

Now I feel like a complete pillock!

Needless to say that your account can't handle having two copies of the EA run on it at the same time.

haha, good one,

so you are human afterall :D

I am also demo testing "Magelan". It does 100% a month. What's interesting about it is that it attempts to trade directionally and uses indicators to get in and out at calculated spot. Additionally when it gets it wrong, it can hedge itself like pyramid to cancel out the bad trades. The end result is a more profitable EA, that uses less leverage, and has even lesser risk of account implosion because hedging is only used in fewer and special cases.

Will see how testing on this goes, but education is out of the question unless someone wants to offer their decompilation and dll breaking assistance.

damm... 600$, that is to expensive for me for a onetime payment for an EA, had it been like 200$ i would just have bought it, or if it was 100$ x 6 month...

so back to saving money for a couple of month to get it, because now that you have explained what it does... i want it :D

damm... 600$, that is to expensive for me for a onetime payment for an EA, had it been like 200$ i would just have bought it, or if it was 100$ x 6 month...

so back to saving money for a couple of month to get it, because now that you have explained what it does... i want it :D

Well, I bought the robot with the profits of Pyramid XE.... :D

Even if I could break Magelan, it's probably not a good idea to spread it. Unlike Pyramid which the market will have a hard time killing no matter how many people are trading it, something like Magelan could be stalked by brokers... so if it turns out to be good and you want it, maybe you should pony up the money.

In two days it's taken a demo $7000 account up $160... running on three pairs. At the moment it has EURUSD stuck in a lock. Not sure what it is doing. I am unfamiliar with it.

It got me thinking though.... that a smart enough programmer could probably hack Pyramid XE further and use the hedging strategy as "insurance" for a directional trading strategy. Should your directional trade get hit, you could get it to start hedging for you to avoid the loss. This could be more profitable in the long run and use less leverage and drawdown. Also a lot safer as you are not relying on hedging as much.

The thing is that Pyramid is fairly brainless and just tries to guess the direction of the trend from moving averages. Give the EA some smarts at picking highs and lows on the chart and it could be much more profitable.

Edited by Rio

It got me thinking though.... that a smart enough programmer could probably hack Pyramid XE further and use the hedging strategy as "insurance" for a directional trading strategy. Should your directional trade get hit, you could get it to start hedging for you to avoid the loss. This could be more profitable in the long run and use less leverage and drawdown. Also a lot safer as you are not relying on hedging as much.

The thing is that Pyramid is fairly brainless and just tries to guess the direction of the trend from moving averages. Give the EA some smarts at picking highs and lows on the chart and it could be much more profitable.

well, you seem to be the smartest programmer around theese parts of the internet ;)

they must be doing something different from pyramid when hedging?

since they write that 200$ pr. pair should be enough

well, you seem to be the smartest programmer around theese parts of the internet ;)

they must be doing something different from pyramid when hedging?

since they write that 200$ pr. pair should be enough

Magelan uses a a slew of different indicators for trade signal entry and trade signal exit.... the sequence of which I do not know. There are no stop losses or take profits because the EA calculates everything. It is a directional trader and typically only has one trade open at a time.... but it is fairly accurate and leverages larger lot sizes for aggressive gain because it isn't worried too much about getting direction wrong.

The EA can trade both ways, and can hedge itself when it feels that it's stuffed a trade up.

I am still monitoring it. I have noticed though that it often gets in the market at times I wouldn't have in places I wouldn't have... so the logic can be improved given what I know.

Maybe when I get bored with Pyramid XE, I will fork the code and try to implement my manual trading strategies into an EA that uses Pyramid's hedging to save itself should it get trades wrong. Of course, if the EA is accurate, hedging will seldom happen and the trading will be damn near unable to ruin accounts.... and the equity curve will only go up ;)

.... one can dream anyway :)

Magelan

so back to saving money for a couple of month to get it, because now that you have explained what it does... i want it

here is Megelan version 3.02 No_DLL from another forum

enjoy...

http://zalil.ru/34690802

enjoy...

thanx alot, this will for shure be helpfull on a demo account to test it out until i have the cash for it, because if its really that good, then i would love to support the programmers with some $ :)

EDIT: damm, i have no idea what the alerts are saying, my guess is something in rusian combined with me missing some character sets, as google translate cant translate it either, even when copied directly from the sourcecode :D

EDIT2: do any of you have a manual or set-files they can share? :)

Edited by Sepp Malec

enjoy...

The latest version is v4

That said, using this EA as a base, and assuming that the dll functions haven't changed, a decompilation on v4 and some education should produce a working EA

...of course, it all hangs on whether the functions in v4 haven't changed.... because if they have, you'll end up with a broken EA... and you wouldn't know.

I'd like to find the guy who decompiled the dll....

Edited by Rio

i cant write PM's yet, so i will do this a bit different, so i dont mention another forum, try a google search with the following line excactly like the one below, that should generate 1 hit, and the guy balt88 seems to be the one you are looking for ;)

"It's me who originally educated this EA" balt88

That means it is dangerous to use this version ?

zalil .ru/ 34690802

The latest version is v4

That said, using this EA as a base, and assuming that the dll functions haven't changed, a decompilation on v4 and some education should produce a working EA

...of course, it all hangs on whether the functions in v4 haven't changed.... because if they have, you'll end up with a broken EA... and you wouldn't know.

That means it is dangerous to use this version ?

zalil .ru/ 34690802

you should always test an EA on a demo account before you use it on a real account,

im trying some different backtest with this version, and i cant really get it to produce results without blowing the account, i was hoping to find some settings that would work well in an backtest before i try a forwardtest

"It's me who originally educated this EA" balt88

Thanks for the tip off. ;)

With Magelan v4, there are presets for each currency pair (each pair behaves differently depending on how trade for that currency pair usually works.). In the Magelan manual, you are encouraged to optimise the EA inputs for best results. I have no idea if the presets from 4 work with 3, or vice versa....

In my testing I am using default presets for three pairs. In three days, it is up about 4% already.

The EA does experience drawdown,... but it seems to know if it has been trapped with price never to return by initiaing a hedge on itself

In fact in closer investigation, there's a good chance that v4 and v3 are very different. v4 has more EA inputs, and I assume that the dll has different functions. Additionally this also means that the presets are likely also wildly different.

No losing trades so far with Magelan 4. Around the middle of next month it will have been a month of trading, so I'll report on how it went.

In fact in closer investigation, there's a good chance that v4 and v3 are very different. v4 has more EA inputs, and I assume that the dll has different functions. Additionally this also means that the presets are likely also wildly different.

No losing trades so far with Magelan 4. Around the middle of next month it will have been a month of trading, so I'll report on how it went.

your right, they seem to be very different, found their myfxbook strategies for magelan, and the settings they use are not all pressent in the old version...

http://www.myfxbook.com/strategies/magelan-м10/1796

would be great with some updates, have just requested a refund from another EA i bought (that sucked i might add),

so in a couple of days i should have enough cash to also buy me a copy of magelan to fidle around with :)

your right, they seem to be very different, found their myfxbook strategies for magelan, and the settings they use are not all pressent in the old version...

http://www.myfxbook.com/strategies/magelan-м10/1796

It's amazing really that the best result they could get with the EA was 800% on only using one pair.

I am running Magelan 4 with 3 pairs... so end of the month should be very interesting indeed.

That said, August is generally a slow time in the FX market... so results should be interesting in later months, or better yet in a live account.

It's amazing really that the best result they could get with the EA was 800% on only using one pair.

i think this one is the most insane... but also looks risky :D

http://www.myfxbook.com/strategies/magelan-30-depo-for-trade/2095

EDIT: oh, didnt see that this was for a different timeframe, the monthly gain was better on the other one..

Edited by Sepp Malec

EDIT: oh, didnt see that this was for a different timeframe, the monthly gain was better on the other one..

Magelan v4 comes with three set files for EU,GU, and UCAD which are for the H1 timeframe (although of course, it may not matter which time frame chart you drop it on, as the EA itself may derive what timeframe to trade on based on inputs.)

Honestly, I'll be happy if it makes even 20% per month. 100% is awesome. More than that per month is getting into silly-talk for an EA.

Magelan made 10% in 10 days with the 3 pairs and default set files... so realistically it'll probably reliably make 30% per month, and not the claimed 100%

Even still, that's really really good :)

Do the math on what you could realistically do with $5000 making 30% or more per month....

Also worth noting... no losing trades. Some drawdown, yes, but it was very very low DD.

Pyramid XE is chugging along too. This month, it only made a little over 7%. To be honest August is a hard month to trade FX anyway, and there wasn't much movement. Pyramid never saw any punishing trends that pushed it's koef_lock up at all, and lots of hedge locks were triggered as price flipped back and forth. All in all, a very safe month to trade this bot... but not very profitable. Even still, 7% with low risk is better than nothing and still quite good considering many EAs lose money.

Edited by Rio

Hey Rio,

I have a question concerning your Pyramid XE ea. When I do backtests or demotesting and use the 5 digit setfile then i must see hedged trades right? Trades that have a sell and a buy order at the exact same time. I cant see these kind of trades. Am I doing something wrong? My broker acutally allows hedging.

Greetings,

Myrmica

Hey Rio,

I have a question concerning your Pyramid XE ea. When I do backtests or demotesting and use the 5 digit setfile then i must see hedged trades right? Trades that have a sell and a buy order at the exact same time. I cant see these kind of trades. Am I doing something wrong? My broker acutally allows hedging.

Greetings,

Myrmica

Yeah, you should be seeing hedged trades in the strategy tester...

....but to be honest, I don't have very much faith in the MT4 strategy tester. You only get 90% accuracy and the data is usually bad. Additionally the EAs tend to work differently under the tester.

For example, if you can get the GBPUSD to crash in the tester from September last year to September this year, then it's proof that the tester is bad. I can say this confidently because I have run the EA on that pair for a year on my live account and my account hasn't exploded and is still making money. The only way it could crash is if the test environment was wrong, with too much risk, or the tester is ****.... or maybe a combination of all three.

Edited by Rio

Magelan made 10% in 10 days with the 3 pairs and default set files... so realistically it'll probably reliably make 30% per month, and not the claimed 100%

Even still, that's really really good :)

Do the math on what you could realistically do with $5000 making 30% or more per month....

Also worth noting... no losing trades. Some drawdown, yes, but it was very very low DD.

okay, i couldnt resist, and have also bought the Magelan EA, and so far so good, but still need some bigger movement in the market to really see it in action, my plan is to get me a seperate account for pyramid XE, to be shure that if one EA blow an account, it dont take the other down with it.. :)