Come and join if you like Grid Trading

fx4_ever

A very directional (long or short)

without retracements.

In a case like this and buy buy

buy or vice versa, sells sells and sells.

We should do a backtest on 2008, with

hope that this is reliable.

That year I often saw bars

long and highly directional (the

decrease).

I do not want to sound too complicated ... I learned the hard way that if a system has a leak sooner or later pay the consequences.

Better fix it before starting the real ;-)

Nobody knows at the start of each day what the market will do.

If he knew, he could make 1000 % daily profit in Forex.

The only thing a trader can do is hoping that his analysis is correct.

If it is not, he must have a Stop Loss to save his account.

The EA can be used for different strategies like ranging , trending and breakouts.

If you start it with counter-trend feature, the probability of good profit

is high and will manifest if the market ranges .

If that day the market goes into a strong trend, you will lose.

Forex is like playing roulette.

You hope that the color or number will be hit where you placed your bet.

It is a probability game and the only thing a trader can do is to

make sure that the odds are in his favor.

How do we know if the market es in a trend or ranging ?

How can we know what it will do next ?

These questions will never end.

We have hundreds of strategies with indicators all over the place trying to answer these questions.

Who has the best tools ?

Please come forward and help us, then we can make profits too.

@fx4_ever,

what analysis do you base your usage of this EA on ?

Do you look after the long-term trend ?

Did you use the EA for trend-mode or only counter-trend-mode ?

Did you use the breakout-mode ?

Or do you just restart it daily and hoping for the best ?

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ask you a few things .. your opinion on currency

and it is better to add this.

Let me explain, couples related? Or

not related?

Could be important too

aspect.

I confirm that the time frame is not important? I followed the video on the site too, but I seem to have heard information about the time frame.

EA is used 2 method when settings EA to take automatically find its counter trend or trend. 1) daily pivot as midline or 2) current price as midline. It seems to be working ok. So, time frame shouldn't make any difference running the EA. But, the reason that i start this thread is to have many traders can join and find these finer point of entries to optimized the EA.

I saw the video on the site, you

is certainly concepts

interesting.

But honestly I have the impression that

we analyze a particular type of market

that could be very dangerous, a

market seen in 2008 and that sooner or later

return.

A very directional (long or short)

without retracements.

In a case like this and buy buy

buy or vice versa, sells sells and sells.

We should do a backtest on 2008, with

hope that this is reliable.

That year I often saw bars

long and highly directional (the

decrease).

I do not want to sound too complicated ... I learned the hard way that if a system has a leak sooner or later pay the consequences.

Better fix it before starting the real ;-) Anything is possible.

fx4_ever

just another ask...in which case you should choose whether to do a few long or short only to the system? This EA as is, it's difficult to set multiple cycles in different direction. If someone can add "magic#" to the EA, I think we can set 1) ranging mode, 2) trending mode 3) hedging mode. This way, we get double the profit with lesser DD. But, it's just theory. I would like to be able to test this on real time if I can have the EA with magic#

p.s. this EA reminds me Pointbreak I do not know pointbreak, so can't comment on it.

Well said! We think alike :)

Nobody knows at the start of each day what the market will do.

If he knew, he could make 1000 % daily profit in Forex.

The only thing a trader can do is hoping that his analysis is correct.

If it is not, he must have a Stop Loss to save his account.

The EA can be used for different strategies like ranging , trending and breakouts.

If you start it with counter-trend feature, the probability of good profit

is high and will manifest if the market ranges .

If that day the market goes into a strong trend, you will lose. Very true. That is why this types of strategy is attractive to me. If money management in place and you know the risk vs reward, I think it is the best system for forex trading.

Forex is like playing roulette.

You hope that the color or number will be hit where you placed your bet.

It is a probability game and the only thing a trader can do is to

make sure that the odds are in his favor.

How do we know if the market es in a trend or ranging ?

How can we know what it will do next ?

These questions will never end.

We have hundreds of strategies with indicators all over the place trying to answer these questions.

Who has the best tools ?

Please come forward and help us, then we can make profits too.

@fx4_ever,

what analysis do you base your usage of this EA on ?

Do you look after the long-term trend ?

In my opinion, unless you have much $$$$ to trade in wide range on counter trend mode, short term analysis is the best strategy. Example: After UK and US run, price always died down with less volatility. You can assess your range and draw the line in the sand. That will be your midline. Let's say, range is about 30 pips, you know you can make pretty good money up/down these range before price breakout again from this. After meeting $xx target, start again. If price start to break out of range, you drawline in the and again and set your EA to trend mode. I think video shows where they use S/R to set your entry/target, etc. I am still experiment with some of strategy. Look at the few pages before this post, I use BB and Starc band breakout on smaller TF. This types of EA, I don't believe you should run 24/7. On/off with market condition will do its best, in my opinion

Did you use the EA for trend-mode or only counter-trend-mode ?

Did you use the breakout-mode ? I use both mode. I mentioned before, if EA have the magic# to control each trade cycle, I can start 2nd trade in trend mode and even hedging mode. But, EA as is, I have to wait until current cycle is done. I think this EA has great portential beyond what it can deliver as is. I have many ideas.. :)

Or do you just restart it daily and hoping for the best ? Never! I do not hope. If I don't think it is working out, I cut the losses even if it wipes out days profit. I learned my early trading days, first loss is the best loss. Especially in forex, when it trend, it trends! When you are on counter-trend mode and start to trend, it's best to let EA stopped you out.

I am going to test with other currency pairs that doesn't move much. like EUR/GBP. Each broker has different spread on pairs, I need to do a little study on price range and brokers' spread and its volatility. The key is to select the pair 1) doesn't move much 2) react to the market in swing mode (looking for pairs that whipsaws a lot) 3) low spread (at 4 pips at the most, pref'd 2-3 pips)

EA opens 90 orders (45 above/45 below the midline). This is designed for EUR/USD for its daily range less xx%. So, if I find the pair that moves less Daily Range, I can use less than 90 orders, means less margin used and lessen the loss if it hits SL. That is the main idea. Gridzilla's website shows on video for a few of strategies that we can use. I haven't had a chance to study them all yet. So, still much to learn.

Edited by fx4_ever

Bollinger band: MT4 comes with it: Settings: period = 20, deviation = 2, applied to = closed

Starc Band: you can download indicator here: http://www.greattradingsystems.com/STARC+Bands-metatraderindicator

Settings for Starc Band that I use:MA_Period=5 ATR_Period=18; KATR=2; Shift=1;

Method: When BB (either upper band of lower band) start to come into Starc band, market is going into ranging. Opposite for Trending. When BB (either upper or lower band) is coming out of Starc band, it is trending.

How to use this method on Grid? You can draw the line and see if you want to trade Trending method or Counter Trend or both. Most of the time, BB is going in and out of Starc Band (you can visually see this. Also, you can draw the line pretty much straight across) - like above image orange box and red box area, you can set the EA mode=0 (counter trend and trend mode). If BB is start to coming out of it, you close-all and re-set EA to trend, but you have to indicate your Pivot point (midline) in EA's setting. ** This Pivot Point is not same way that we think daily PP. I think it is the Anchor line where you want to draw the line for EA to trend around this line. But, this is hour chart and it will last quite a few hours when it is in ranging or mix mode. So, you can make most of money during this time. You don't have to run EA 24/7 to make good money. Just 3 days ago, EA opened/closed 177 orders and gave me 885 pips. So, it's not that complicate process. The question is; Are you willing to cut the losses once in awhile? I think that is the most important part of Grid Trading. If I have so many Long orders and price is going down, I think I better off close-all with losses and start trading with trend. I can make that money back in no time. I am still learning on every settings on this EA, so if anyone have good interpretation, please share. Thanks,

Hi guys, just read through the whole thread and am very intrigued, so thought I'd join in. :)

Sorry to dredge this quote up from so far back, but it would seem to me that if the EA could be programmed to use your trend indicating method as an option it may make it more robust and eliminate the need for constant manual intervention. For example, if its possible to program, have it set to trade continuosly, but only trade when the BB is within the starc band, if you plan to be only a counter trend trader in ranging markets. When it leaves the starc it can delete all pending orders in the opposite direction of the trend (though hopefully without interfering with the trend catching logic that kicks in when it is set to '0' mode and price moves down into the next grid.

Im no programmer and don't know a lot about grid trading, so it might be a bad addition to this method, but just something to think about maybe.

Thanks for all the good info guys. I've got my demo going now, testing out EURGBP as well.

C

Hi All,

I haven't had a chance to bring my PC up for several hours and finally able to start up. I download a file that someone upload to sharing site (not related to this thread, but the link were from the member from this forum sharing indicator) and caught virus. My 0/S is totally messed up and I can't bring any of my installed programs right now. :((:((:(( ziddu.com (watch out if you are downloading from this site).

This is 2nd time I caught virus from ziddu.

Edited by fx4_ever

Hi guys, just read through the whole thread and am very intrigued, so thought I'd join in. :)

Sorry to dredge this quote up from so far back, but it would seem to me that if the EA could be programmed to use your trend indicating method as an option it may make it more robust and eliminate the need for constant manual intervention. For example, if its possible to program, have it set to trade continuosly, but only trade when the BB is within the starc band, if you plan to be only a counter trend trader in ranging markets. When it leaves the starc it can delete all pending orders in the opposite direction of the trend (though hopefully without interfering with the trend catching logic that kicks in when it is set to '0' mode and price moves down into the next grid.

Im no programmer and don't know a lot about grid trading, so it might be a bad addition to this method, but just something to think about maybe.

Thanks for all the good info guys. I've got my demo going now, testing out EURGBP as well.

C

Hi: I agree with you and that is the REASON that i wanted to start this Grid Trading thread to develop something that would work best. However, I only know a little bit about coding (just enough to be dangerous) and not able to modified Gridzilla to do what you mentioned. I have another EA (Private EA) that may work, but it is an old EA, so still need some modification. Also, if I post that EA, this thread may need to be closed and start over with different name.

How important is the pivot point in this EA.And how do(value) u all set it?.

I think to win everyday with Gridzilla trading.. Just my opinion..

1) always have to shuffle mid point

2) need to close all pending orders and open orders (hope draw down doesn't exceed profit) and re-set your mode periodically.

3) avoid the news. Tried to be out of all trade before the news.

4) after the news, assess the market condition. If it is strong trend due to the news, set your mode = trend

5) my opinion, it's best to use Fib retracement and/or S/R rather than daily PP. Daily PP works in ranging, but if market trends past PP, watch out! This EA opens trade every single pips and if you are trading in counter-trend mode, it can be detrimental to trading account very quickly.

Grid trending is a lot of work. I don't think any GridTrading is successful if you want to set and forget it. Such system may exist, but I haven't found it. What we are trying to do is to come join this thread and find the best way to trade the Grid as much as possible to 'set and forget it' :)

Edited by fx4_ever

fx4_ever, found this from another thread on II: http://www.powertradelive.com/strategies.html

Wonder if we could apply some of the ideas from there? Unfortunately they have closed membership.

Hi:

No, I never heard of it until now. Looking at their results sample, it doesn't seem anything that special. But, if we know the method of their system, it can be useful to Grid Trading. Do you have any more info on this?

Hi fx_ever,

Do you have step trader ea from http://solomonfx.com/cts/software/step-trader?

Seems I cannot find kudo button to thank you!

I haven't used their EA, but I've used similar EA by other vendors. SolomonFX ad sounds like clear step 1-2-3, but it is more complicated than that. Price never just moves few steps up and retrace down enough to close-all. Since it is martingale method, you have to make sure retracement has to be >= (greater or equal) to Grid space that you are using, in SolomonFX example, they are using 30 pips Grid interval. That doesn't always work in a few steps. Sometimes, if you are caught in the trending market, 30 pip retracement is very rarely comes when we so desperately needed and ended up getting margin call. But, it can be safe if you can use very small lotsize with reasonable size account, but net profit isn't much to show for. So, it is all about knowing the risk and reward and if it is suit for your trading temperament in my opinion. I personally like Martingale method and trade in my live account for many years successfully, but unfortunately, it's not the system that I would suggest for all traders.

Edited by fx4_ever

I haven't used their EA, but I've used similar EA by other vendors. SolomonFX ad sounds like clear step 1-2-3, but it is more complicated than that. Price never just moves few steps up and retrace down enough to close-all. Since it is martingale method, you have to make sure retracement has to be >= (greater or equal) to Grid space that you are using, in SolomonFX example, they are using 30 pips Grid interval. That doesn't always work in a few steps. Sometimes, if you are caught in the trending market, 30 pip retracement is very rarely comes when we so desperately needed and ended up getting margin call. But, it can be safe if you can use very small lotsize with reasonable size account, but net profit isn't much to show for. So, it is all about knowing the risk and reward and if it is suit for your trading temperament in my opinion. I personally like Martingale method and trade in my live account for many years successfully, but unfortunately, it's not the system that I would suggest for all traders.

What kind of Martingale EA are You using?

Best flexible grid program I have seen is a forexgridmaster.com. You can look at his daily setup results and even download the user manual for ideas for free. Even has a 3 month trial for I believe 99.00 applied if you purchase. The site information and after purchase support is the most thorough I have seen for a sold system. Been thinking about the trial after getting through with some other things I am working on.

Best flexible grid program I have seen is a forexgridmaster.com. You can look at his daily setup results and even download the user manual for ideas for free. Even has a 3 month trial for I believe 99.00 applied if you purchase. The site information and after purchase support is the most thorough I have seen for a sold system. Been thinking about the trial after getting through with some other things I am working on.

Thanks for sharing the info. I would like to look into that. Just looking around their website, I don't see much of excite! Their performance is very poor, so what do you based on when you say Best Flexible Grid program? Can you share your thoughts?

this is what I am looking at forexgridmaster.com's performance.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2z6gi6e.gif

Edited by fx4_ever

this EA Gridzzilla is very dangerous... here are my results for today... it almost blowed half of the balance of a demo account today....

Would you share your method and how you set your settings? What was the balance and what was the lot size. And did you use counter trend or trend mode? When did you start? Did you run 24/7? If you can post your settings, perhaps, we can learn from it. That is what this thread is all about.

I am not endorsing Gridzilla to anyone. Just my trading is around Grid system and this is one of the system that has enough option to modified. I said from the beginning, this is not the system that you run it 24/7 mode, set and forget it. Since Gridzilla has potential and if everyone can add some constructive comments/suggestions and possibly coder can do the modification for us who likes grid trading. That is all this thread is intended.

Edited by fx4_ever

fx4_ever

Made no claims as to profitibility. Read the manual & see the large amount of custim settings you can apply to the program. The screen you posted are results of some of his different combinations tried. No magic potion. It is up to the user how he wants to grid trade.

Thanks for that. I sounds like user input has a great deal on outcome like Gridzilla. I think this suggest most good strategy and EA isn't the product itself. I think it is how we use it as trading tool.

this EA Gridzzilla is very dangerous... here are my results for today... it almost blowed half of the balance of a demo account today....

The EA is a tool only.

In order to make profits, we have to know the market sentiment.

For this we would need a crystall ball, but we don´t have it.

Therefore the best we can do is guessing that the market will range or trend and accordingly set the mode

to auto , trend or range.

If we are lucky, we will make profits .... if not, we lose.

On Monday I made 2 % with auto mode ( target 1 % for one cycle ). Default settings 0.01 lots for 2k balance.

On Tuesday the Dollar dropped like a stone, I was on auto-mode and lost 50 % of my account.

That is how it goes.

I am facing a problem...the ea is running(smiley face) and left top corner comments are also visible,but no trades are placed or executed. I tried both demo(original) and mod eas but same result.Also i tried on two diff demo accounts,same situation

somebody pls help

look (and tell) what is in journal, expert tabs - if there is a problem - must be written there