DragonPips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget backtests with such EAs.

I´m using DP already for 2 weeks and had no loosing trade on EURGBP and virtually no losses on EURCHF.

EURUSD and USDCHF however ate up nearly all the profits again, so next week I will reduce lot size for those 2 pairs and reduce the trading period to 21-23GMT, because before 21GMT there are sometims trends without retracements, and after 23GMT, probably when Asia opens, excessive movements. Both are not seen in EURGBP and EURCHF, which were traded 19-23GMT, I will now extend them to 01GMT.

Backtest EURGBP in the same period however shows only 2 trades (settings the same like on live trading), while there were in average 2-3 trades each day on my account.

May be you should try to increase the modeling quality as described in the forum, this might help. Such EAs are very sensitive to this, while Martingale EAs usually do not differ so much in backtests.

Forget backtests with such EAs.

I´m using DP already for 2 weeks and had no loosing trade on EURGBP and virtually no losses on EURCHF.

EURUSD and USDCHF however ate up nearly all the profits again, so next week I will reduce lot size for those 2 pairs and reduce the trading period to 21-23GMT, because before 21GMT there are sometims trends without retracements, and after 23GMT, probably when Asia opens, excessive movements. Both are not seen in EURGBP and EURCHF, which were traded 19-23GMT, I will now extend them to 01GMT.

Backtest EURGBP in the same period however shows only 2 trades (settings the same like on live trading), while there were in average 2-3 trades each day on my account.

May be you should try to increase the modeling quality as described in the forum, this might help. Such EAs are very sensitive to this, while Martingale EAs usually do not differ so much in backtests.

Diagoras, which version of dragonpips do you use ?

in openhour and closehour should I have to put just gmt+0 hour or my broker hour gmt+2 (alpari uk) ?

Diagoras, which version of dragonpips do you use ?

in openhour and closehour should I have to put just gmt+0 hour or my broker hour gmt+2 (alpari uk) ?

I use Use_Manual_GMTOffset = false, then the offset is calculated automatically, you can check it in the messages in the left above corner.

I was working with DP 2.02. There are some other versions circulating around - Final Version and Universal V4. Since 2.02 offers more options to select, I left it there. Don´t think,that trading is different with the other version, if yes, pls correct.

A major aspect I paid attention to was to slightly change the time protection levels, see this:

Use_TimeProtectionLevels=1
MinutesToClose_Level_1=90
PipsToClose_Level_1=4.00000000
MinutesToClose_Level_2=140
PipsToClose_Level_2=3.00000000
MinutesToClose_Level_3=170
PipsToClose_Level_3=2.00000000
MinutesToClose_Level_4=200
PipsToClose_Level_4=1.00000000
MinutesToClose_Level_5=300
PipsToClose_Level_5=0.00000000

My observation is, that in the ranging Euro-pairs the price comes back nearly always, so there is no reason to shed an order with 4 pips loss after 240 minutes, as it is made with the default settings.

My next project is to test this EA on a ECN broker, because with some of them spreads especially in EURCHF, EURGBP and USDCHF are significantly lower than even with Alpari, and even though they might charge a commission (typically 4-5$/1.0 lot) this saves money, since 1pip more spread cost 2-3x as much as the commission, also there should be no price filtering and other measures, taken by brokers to inhibit scalping EAs.

I tested 2009 for eurusd %90 model quality. That is result :)

http://hotfile.com/dl/37557147/634620e/StrategyTester.htm.html

Yes, that confirms my objections on using EURUSD (and even worse - GBPUSD) with DP. As told before I will test it this week on my live account in the period 21-23GMT, as I saw in the charts, that this is the only "non-volatile" period. In your test you have choosen 22-02, is this local/server time or GMT?

If this doesn´t work either, I will skip EURUSD and USDCHF.

I use Use_Manual_GMTOffset = false, then the offset is calculated automatically, you can check it in the messages in the left above corner.

I was working with DP 2.02. There are some other versions circulating around - Final Version and Universal V4. Since 2.02 offers more options to select, I left it there. Don´t think,that trading is different with the other version, if yes, pls correct.

A major aspect I paid attention to was to slightly change the time protection levels, see this:

Use_TimeProtectionLevels=1
MinutesToClose_Level_1=90
PipsToClose_Level_1=4.00000000
MinutesToClose_Level_2=140
PipsToClose_Level_2=3.00000000
MinutesToClose_Level_3=170
PipsToClose_Level_3=2.00000000
MinutesToClose_Level_4=200
PipsToClose_Level_4=1.00000000
MinutesToClose_Level_5=300
PipsToClose_Level_5=0.00000000

My observation is, that in the ranging Euro-pairs the price comes back nearly always, so there is no reason to shed an order with 4 pips loss after 240 minutes, as it is made with the default settings.

My next project is to test this EA on a ECN broker, because with some of them spreads especially in EURCHF, EURGBP and USDCHF are significantly lower than even with Alpari, and even though they might charge a commission (typically 4-5$/1.0 lot) this saves money, since 1pip more spread cost 2-3x as much as the commission, also there should be no price filtering and other measures, taken by brokers to inhibit scalping EAs.

Yes, that confirms my objections on using EURUSD (and even worse - GBPUSD) with DP. As told before I will test it this week on my live account in the period 21-23GMT, as I saw in the charts, that this is the only "non-volatile" period. In your test you have choosen 22-02, is this local/server time or GMT?

If this doesn´t work either, I will skip EURUSD and USDCHF.

This is my server time and at the same time my local time. Gmt+3

I tested both eurusd and gbpusd for 2009 and 2010 and it is all failed. I will test eurgbp and eurchf ..

This is my server time and at the same time my local time. Gmt+3

I tested both eurusd and gbpusd for 2009 and 2010 and it is all failed. I will test eurgbp and eurchf ..

OK then the choosen time period for testing is 19-23GMT, the same period I had choosen in the past weeks, and which made EURUSD loosing.

Pls test 21-23GMT, or 24-02 your local/server time. Would be interesting, whether there is some improvement or not.

This version of dragonpips works well on eur/usd. hxxp://depositfiles.com/files/pi76ctsec

not as many settings to adjust but I have it on TadawulFX to trade eurusd between 22-24. I demo tested it for all of february and have had it live since then with only 1 sl hit (about 32 pip sl). I use dp 2.02 on eur/gbp and eur/chf 19-23 with excellent results on tadawul as well (real money). Tadawul doesn't have great spreads but something about their price feed and 4 digits seems to make DP trade better. I've also been messing around with DP2.02 close all trades feature to reduce exposure. Does anyone think this is counterproductive or good to close out lingering trades at a minimal loss. I think you can reduce the sl this way to about 20 pips and very rarely get stopped out. BT shows that using a 23:30 close all trades a greater profit and less DD than staying in the trade. I've been testing it and more often than not, on a good trading day, DP has already done is work and all trades are close out by that point. But on a bad trading day, the bad trades (usually the earlier ones), are cut off at a small manageable loss (no harm no foul). Would like to hear others input.

This seems to be an older version, especially educated for some brokers (recommended time settings).

Tadawulfx is GMT+2 like Central European Daylight Saving Time, so presently your setting 22-24 equals 20-22GMT, in winter it would be 21-23GMT (when you demo tested it in feburary), so exactly the period I want to test now.

Will also test DP on a 4-digit broker live account as well besides the Alpari, which is 5-digits. Testing on a Lite-Forex cent account showed sometimes better results, though spreads are worse than with Alpari. Though a 5-digit broker is more suitable for scalping, but this is obviously not set in stone.

Will see the outcome.

I need help to add code ReverseTrade setting (True/ False) in the DragonPips Ultimate v2.02/DP 2.02. So, if I set the settings ReverseTrade becomes True, DP 2.02 takes "the opposite" trade of what it should have (e.g. opens a Buy when it should have opened a Sell).

I need help to add code ReverseTrade setting (True/ False) in the DragonPips Ultimate v2.02/DP 2.02. So, if I set the settings ReverseTrade becomes True, DP 2.02 takes "the opposite" trade of what it should have (e.g. opens a Buy when it should have opened a Sell).

This is a very good idea. Since night scalpers have flooded the market, they have an adverse effect on markets, which means their efficiency is decading.

Last night had a 20% DD on my account due to strong upward trend in EURCHF and EURGBP after 19GMT (the night before gave me 10% + though), so 19GMT must be put in question, especially since major markets (in this case the US) have switched to DST too. All EURGBP however could be closed with 0 P/L later, but EURCHF had to be closed in the morning manually to avoid further losses.

Checked through the charts of the past weeks and saw, that 19 GMT might be too early indeed, and I´m going to switch now to 21GMT (in winter back to 20GMT), of course with a 3 hours trading period.

The other idea is to make it a semi-automatic system and to (manually) check movements before the night. Yesterday there was a big drop in both currencies in the late afternoon/early evening, and this might have been the reason for a ongoing retracement till ~21GMT. So in case of such heavy movements in the last - let´s say 4-5 hours before late evening, the beginning of DP should be postponed till 21GMT, in case the markets were calm or idling before, it can be set to 19GMT.

Could be a decent feature for this EA, too - to check the trading range in the last 5 hours before, end the bigger the range, the later the beginning of DP (with the possiblity to completely disable it when markets had been too volatile).

Anyone who could implement this?

Edit: I just tried to modify 2.02 by swapping all "send_order"...OP_BUY with OP_SELL and vice versa. Don´t know whether that´s easy or not?

http://rapidshare.com/files/375750620/DP2.02_Rev.mq4

Edited by Diagoras