List of 5 Best EAs that Actually Work and make Money

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rio

I try to backtest from 2001 it's blow account on 2008

1) I don't trust backtests very much and

2) ... 7 good years of trading before the market decided to kill everyone. If, by that time, you didn't withdraw your initial funds and save up enough to be able to start up the EA again when the prices had settled down again.... then yes, the EA would be unprofitable!

By my estimates, if you start an account with $5000, make 5-15% every month, you will hit a point in about 2 years when one months profit will be enough to cover your initial investment. Any more profit beyond that is a bonus... and supposing you need ALL the money in the account in some emergency.... it's there waiting for you.

Additionally, I would spend time testing and trying out other commercial bots in that case, to spread risk around on other strategies.

I believe that it's very important to learn how to trade manually too. EAs should really only be a backup to that.

Hi everyone. The document with the EA explains everything.

1) Yes you can run EU,GU, and EG on the same account... but you would likely have to lower the risk across all three pairs WAAAY down and make sure that you have enough leverage in your account. Personally, I don't run EG. Two pairs is enough.

2) Minimum starting fund is US$1500.... which would only allow you to run one pair. I recommend starting up with US$5000 and using EU and GU at 0.15 risk per pair

3) Best broker is a big question. Any broker with ties to a bank that gives you all the trading conditions that this EA requires. See the manual.

4) Best to have your account in $US, ...and $1500 will get you starting at 0.01 (1 microlot). Usually grid trades are at least 15 pips wide, so you would pocket about $1.50 per grid trade... and that's before koef_lock kicks in with averaging trades on a larger trend.

My broker not allow to trade 0.01 lot. But the account is cent account. If I deposit 1500$ it's show 150,000 it my account.

Can I use this account?

I'm not really sure how that would work. I wouldn't recommend it. I would use a normal account in $US with a broker that allows microlot trade and lot step of 0.01

As for your setup, you may want to test on demo anyway. Additionally, you may need to set alfa_lot=1 to make sure that base lots start at 0.1 and not 0.01 depending on how this works.

I have no idea if this will work safely, so really it's up to you to do testing. Good luck.

thanks Rio for you shared EA.

I have a question, for long you have running this EA?, in real or demo account.. max DD?

Close to a year now on a live account. Max drawdown I have seen has come close to 50% (because I have run on more than one pair, so 25% per pair).

When the drawdown gets heavy, the profit increases hevaily.... so you are rewarded for suffering drawdown when it happens.

Is this the best EA out there? Probably not. But this is thread about EAs that actually work and make money. This is one of them.

Rio:

i have a sugestion for your version of the EA,

in my copy i changed all AccountBalance() to (AccountCredit()+AccountBalance()) , this will get the drawdown calculations right, when you have an account where you also have deposit bonusses from the broker

Might be an interesting addition.

I am also considering adding more features to the EA, but I want to do it in such a way that the core trading strategy is always available (essentially backward-compatible)

I've been wanting to implement the Pyramid 8 logic for a while. Essentially it only drops in lock and averaging trades based on EMA cross overs (instead of periodic levels based on pullbacks). This, is turn, makes the EA safer and uses less leverage.

I was thinking of coming up with a "Panic mode" for the EA based on this strategy. Once enough averaging trades have been hit, the EA would then not drop any more averaging trades unless it started to get EMA confirmation.

Now... I dislike the Pyramid Pro 8.01 EA because it is less aggressive and less profitable, but it is safer...., and I think some way of coming up with a hybrid trading system will get you the best of both worlds. In normal trading, the EA will be typically aggressive,... but if the EA is under threat, it will adapt to the conditions.... at least in theory.... in an attempt to ride out crazy price drops and other drastic market behaviour.... The goal being to help it survive crazy market crashes and other behaviour which could potentially kill the EA (Perhaps being able to close out all it's trades in profit/break-even and sit on the sidelines until things cool down).

Might be an interesting addition.

I am also considering adding more features to the EA, but I want to do it in such a way that the core trading strategy is always available (essentially backward-compatible)

I've been wanting to implement the Pyramid 8 logic for a while. Essentially it only drops in lock and averaging trades based on EMA cross overs (instead of periodic levels based on pullbacks). This, is turn, makes the EA safer and uses less leverage.

I was thinking of coming up with a "Panic mode" for the EA based on this strategy. Once enough averaging trades have been hit, the EA would then not drop any more averaging trades unless it started to get EMA confirmation.

Now... I dislike the Pyramid Pro 8.01 EA because it is less aggressive and less profitable, but it is safer...., and I think some way of coming up with a hybrid trading system will get you the best of both worlds. In normal trading, the EA will be typically aggressive,... but if the EA is under threat, it will adapt to the conditions.... at least in theory.... in an attempt to ride out crazy price drops and other drastic market behaviour.... The goal being to help it survive crazy market crashes and other behaviour which could potentially kill the EA (Perhaps being able to close out all it's trades in profit/break-even and sit on the sidelines until things cool down).

that would be a very nice addition indeed, with a hybrid, and even better if its able to auto switch to 8.01 style, but a extern bool to manually switch would also be great, so that you could force the 8.01 strategy if you wanted to :-)

Edited by Sepp Malec

that would be a very nice addition indeed, with a hybrid, and even better if its able to auto switch to 8.01 style, but a extern bool to manually switch would also be great, so that you could force the 8.01 strategy if you wanted to :-)

That would be nice too, I admit, but the Pyramid 8 code has been completely reworked from the 5.2 code.... and includes new variables and inputs for multiple timeframe MAs, also the routines have been heavily changed. It would be a lot of work. Maybe I will try... but I would have to reverse engineer the v8 code, and even then I cannot break the dll it has, so I may never even get it correct.

Close to a year now on a live account. Max drawdown I have seen has come close to 50% (because I have run on more than one pair, so 25% per pair).

When the drawdown gets heavy, the profit increases hevaily.... so you are rewarded for suffering drawdown when it happens.

Is this the best EA out there? Probably not. But this is thread about EAs that actually work and make money. This is one of them.

If you were to select only one pair to trade which would it be, eurusd or gbpusd?

Hi,

Bit of a slow month this one. I'm at about 5% for the month already though.

I just noticed that the EA created two averaging trades at the same level and I went and manually cancelled one of them. I don't know why this happened, because it shouldn't happen. If the averaging trade was hit, and price then reversed off to take more grid trades, equity would get stressed pretty badly, and the koef_grid routine wouldn't be able to cope.

I'm going to have to debug the EA *again* to fix this. Again... I've never seen this before.

In fact I'm currently working on merging some of the pyramid 8 code into XE, and some of the routines have changed.... so I'll be looking to see what I can add.

In short, it pays to see what your EA is doing, and to know what the strategy is. Again, I may have gotten away with this bug anyway on a retrace... but still, it presents unnecessary risks.

I am also demo testing "Magelan". It does 100% a month. What's interesting about it is that it attempts to trade directionally and uses indicators to get in and out at calculated spot. Additionally when it gets it wrong, it can hedge itself like pyramid to cancel out the bad trades. The end result is a more profitable EA, that uses less leverage, and has even lesser risk of account implosion because hedging is only used in fewer and special cases.

Will see how testing on this goes, but education is out of the question unless someone wants to offer their decompilation and dll breaking assistance.

Quick update on the bug.

I can't find any evidence in the log for the creation of the first stop trade, which is really weird. Additionally the trades occurred at different times.

Assuming that my broker isn't stuffing around with the EAs trades, I can only suspect that *maybe* the EA is returning to price points and adding the stops again.

This could probably be easily fixed by double checking the trades to ensure that no more than one averaging trades of the same lot size exists at any one time. That would mean that if the incident happens again, the EA corrects itself by wiping out one of the stops.

This would be an ugly work around. I'd still like to know why it happened to me so I can fix the issue at the source.

UPDATE: This also happened on the other pair, and yet again... NO INFO in the Experts logs. Both involve double sellstops. I'm suspecting broker tricks of some kind, or broker negligence.... or perhaps the sellstop calculations are ignoring the original trade but it doesn't explain why the second stop is not logged! Either way I will drop an extra routine in the EA to catch out this scenario and double check that the averaging trades are functioning correctly. In the meantime, everyone using the EA needs to keep an eye on averaging trades that may be doubling up. Easily recongisable by two averaging stop trades at the same price point with the same lot size. If you see that, delete one of them.

Edited by Rio

Hi Rio,

When you get a chance, could you please give some made-up examples on -

You mentioned "Averaging Trade" .....

Once a 0.1 Lot size first Trade (say Long trade) is initiated and

it it does not hit the TP and

the trend goes against ......

when and what size other trades are initiated and

when are they closed.

Thank you in advance

Sam

You mentioned "Averaging Trade" .....

Once a 0.1 Lot size first Trade (say Long trade) is initiated and

it it does not hit the TP and

the trend goes against ......

when and what size other trades are initiated and

when are they closed.

This is detailed in the documentation.

In your example, let's say you have a huge pile of money and the first grid trade is 0.1 in size (which is huge for this EA)

Price goes up and hits this stop (the market saw it and wanted to hit it, probably as lots of market participants orders are up there)

But then as it tries to take your money (which is the markets JOB) it pulls back in the other direction hoping to hit your stop loss (or a location where enough market participants stop losses are!)

Thing is, this EA does not use stop loss because it hedges. After a certain distance pull back, the EA will trigger a short LOCK trade. At this point, the market is trapped. It can go either direction and you will end up profiting. Either it goes back long as collects more grid trades (more profit for you), or it pulls back further and cancels out the grid trade with the lock trade, closing all orders in break-even, small profit, or you get shafted a small loss by your broker in requotes. No big deal.

In the case that it goes and collects more grid trades, you get profit, but that lock trade is still open. Later on, the EA will drop an averging short trade to try again to close the loss out. If THAT gets hit, then the grid stops ratchet themselves up further with increasing lot sizes to offset the drawdown of increasing averging trades. In effect.... PYRAMIDING!

This continues until one of the averaging trades is broken back far enough to cancel out all the averaging trades and the initial lock (which is HIGHLY LIKELY because price must always retrace in the market... otherwise trend traders will easily empty the banks out, and the banks themselves won't be able to take a profit as they run out of equity too and need the retrace to get THEIR money back).

The only other situation is the bad one... it keeps going making averaging trades and increasing grid lot sizes until you run out of free margin (this is why you need large leverage, to be able to keep producing averaging trades and increasing grid lot sizes).... in such a scenario,your account explodes and it's game over. Additionally the increasing grid lot sizes increase your balance to further offset margining out.... but you can still burn your leverage.

I have never experienced this EA blowing my live account in trading. That's not to say that it can't happen. It's just VERY unlikely if you use low risk.

The averaging is not like martingale... as drawdown is spread over a VERY large range. It's safer than martinagle, but can suffer a similar fate if the market wants to blow apart it's typical ADR ranges for something insane.

Edited by Rio

OK, I discovered the source of the "bug"

I accidently had TWO terminals running the EA on my live account since I updated the PC it runs on last weekend! Of course I couldn't see the second trade in the logs because it was on the other running terminal! I didn't notice the other terminal instance on the PCs task bar!

Now I feel like a complete pillock!

Needless to say that your account can't handle having two copies of the EA run on it at the same time.

Edited by Rio