Benny3's Trading jounal

benny3

NU didn't show a valid setup on my charts: the 1st bar was not a pin bar strictly speaking and the 2nd one looks like a spinning top

http://i53.tinypic.com/34xgpax.jpg

also the 1st target hasn't been reached, but I would be curious to know if on your chart, which does show a valid setup, the middle BB was reached, since that shape could be different from mine too.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it would've been better to go for the full position.

But i like to take half just to secure at least something, then if it reaches the tp that's just a bonus :)

Then if it goes back to break even nothing lost but something gained, what do you think?

Im sorry but what you said is not clear to me, and maybe I wasn't clear myself. Checking back all the trades you've taken so far since you started trading this sys, if you had closed them all at the 1st target, instead of closing only 50%, moving the rest to b/e and waiting for the opposite band to be touched, would that have got you more money?

The average amount of pips made on the second lot needs to be over 50% more than the first lot to be more profitable than closing at the 1st target. You should have some stats by now to assess this.

Example: 1st target 50 pips. If I close the trade I get 50 pips, If I close 50% I get 25 pips then I need at least 50 more pips move to get the same result.

At risk of looking boring, I'll add this too: you might also check if closing perhaps 70% or 80% could be more profitable than the other 2 previous options.

The thing is, good moves can walk the opposite band for a while but that would require different closing strategies, but if we have to be happy with the touch of the opposite band as the best result, we might as well just look for a way to optimise the gain. Don't you agree? Trailing would be another solution, as I was suggesting in one of my previous posts, but that can't be back tested.

Edited by alright
more clarity

UCHF has formed a pinbar which also has its open at smae price as the previous bar (kind of a quasi railrack). It's also hiting a res area. it's friday afternoon and Londong is almost closing. IThe latest high has taken out the previous high though and the daily is going up. Worth taking it? Well since it's a demo i will go for it, also because i want to test the EA made by kenny :)

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ilcyn5.jpg

NU didn't show a valid setup on my charts: the 1st bar was not a pin bar strictly speaking and the 2nd one looks like a spinning top

http://i53.tinypic.com/34xgpax.jpg

also the 1st target hasn't been reached, but I would be curious to know if on your chart, which does show a valid setup, the middle BB was reached, since that shape could be different from mine too.

yeah your right i didn't look at the chart properly and i misstook the setup for a engulfing thats what happens when u rush live and learn - 60 pips on audjpy pluss looks like the floating -40 nzdusd was against the trend,but it showed me lots of ressistance on the daily and 4hr.

Hi Alright.

You asked me,

Checking back all the trades you've taken so far since you started trading this sys, if you had closed them all at the 1st target, instead of closing only 50%, moving the rest to b/e and waiting for the opposite band to be touched, would that have got you more money
And i said

yeah it would've been better to go for the full position.

But i like to take half just to secure at least something, then if it reaches the tp that's just a bonus

Then if it goes back to break even nothing lost but something gained, what do you think?

Ok, maybe I misunderstand something there then. If closing the full position at the 1st target is more profitable than splitting the stake and then waiting for more pips which might come or not, why do you prefer to go with the 2nd option? That's what I couldnt understand. It seems to me the 2 things contraddict themselves. You say "i like to take half just to secure at least something" but if you take all out you secure everything. Sorry but English is not my mother language and I might be missing something...

Ok, maybe I misunderstand something there then. If closing the full position at the 1st target is more profitable than splitting the stake and then waiting for more pips which might come or not, why do you prefer to go with the 2nd option? That's what I couldnt understand. It seems to me the 2 things contraddict themselves. You say "i like to take half just to secure at least something" but if you take all out you secure everything. Sorry but English is not my mother language and I might be missing something...

That's ok it's just what i like to do,i like to take half the positions.

+ you're doing well with your English i wouldn't have guessed you spoke another language.

why do you prefer to go with the 2nd option? That's what I couldnt understand. It seems to me the 2 things contraddict themselves. You say "i like to take half just to secure at least something" but if you take all out you secure everything.

I like the second option because i haven't been trading for long,only for about two years and so having that peace of mind when trading is something i'm trying to work on,they call it Psychology. So having my stop at break even once it goes into 50 or so pips and taking half the position helps at minimising my emotions and so the more you work on becoming comfortable when trading, the more you can start trying new things. But for now that's what makes me comfortable and so I stick with it. hope that helps

Put it this way, i'm not greedy.

Last Friday I wasnt able to close the swissie short because the market was closed already, so at the opening on Sunday night since there was no gap nor did it look in danger I decided to leave it open and went to my bed. Now I found out that the trade was totally closed at the middle BB. Something wrong with the EA then or maybe my settings. 81 pips is not something to argue about but it would be nice if the EA would do what it's supposed to do. LOL I'll discuss it on the EA thread.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv197/alright_01/UCH_2010-09-13_0804.png

great trades alright. here's one of mine i opened this morning hope it turns out. I'm abit worried whether that is actually classed as a railroad or not

From what I see it does look like a railroad, but if that makes you feel better my chart shows an engulfing pattern, so way to go! I hope... LOL

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv197/alright_01/EJ_2010-09-13_2045.png

This time the EA behaved with me, having used 0.2 lots. EJ closed 50% and then retraced giving 60+30 pips by trailing, NU closed 50% at 33 pips and is still open, trailing at +18. EU is ranging at the moment, looking not too healthy at -6. A shame for the short swissie I took on Friday that was closed totally by the EA at the middle BB: it would have given over 270 pips all together!

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv197/alright_01/UCH_2010-09-14_0821.png

Nice going alright.

You should move over to fxdd you can work this strategy with 0.1 lots, then the ea can close 0.5 at the center then the other at the outer Bollinger Bands.

I tried FX Open but for some reason i just can't seem to open a demo account, i try and i try but to no evail so i gave up and decided to stay with FXDD. :)

Edited by benny3

Thanks for the advice, benny. At this point I think I will still stick to FXCM for now. Since I'm in profit, although the risk is increased, that will allow me to test the performance this way. If the number of positive trades overcomes the negative ones, that would mean the system is ok and can support a higher risk for quicker gains by compounding.

I did open a demo with FX Open last year no problem. Strange you're struggling with it...

I opened this one about 2minutes after bar had opened and it had moved about 11 pips in 2 minutes

http://i56.tinypic.com/s59wua.jpg

an update floating at - 50 pips ...mental note to self. Try not to take trades like sell above the moving averages :)

http://i53.tinypic.com/2nu1zs1.jpg

Managed to hit the halfway line and the ea moved stop to break even

http://i52.tinypic.com/1606jxv.jpg

Edited by benny3