Hotforex.com - Market Analysis and News.

Date : 4th March 2015

GOLD TRADES SIDEWAYS AT KEY SUPPORT LEVEL.

Gold-W.png

Lately many market participants have been focusing on this week’s jobs report from the US. This Friday the US Bureau of Labour Statistics releases the Non-Farm Payroll report, the most important piece of macro data before the next Fed meeting. This report is seen as an important indicator on when the Fed might start hiking the interest rates. Some participants expect the rate hike happen in June while most are looking to September as potential starting point for the Fed’s rate hike cycle. However, some prominent analysts believe that the Fed will be patient and start the rate hikes next year. Higher interest rates support the dollar and historically Gold has not done that well during the periods of rising dollar. At the same time demand for physical Gold is solid in Asia. India alone is consuming 800 to 1000 tons of Gold annually and imports to the country are increasing. In addition, China’s interest rate cuts in November 2014 and last Saturday are an indication that the Peoples Bank of China has moved into an easing cycle. This is a factor supporting demand for Gold in China.

The price of Gold reached the medium term ascending trendline a bit more than a week ago and has since been trading between the support at 1200 and a weekly low from the beginning of February. This level also coincides with the 50% Fibonacci retracement level. Gold is getting oversold in terms of Stochastics and I am looking for a move higher over this week or latest the next week.

Gold-D.png

Gold, Daily

The resistance level at 1220 coinciding with the 50% Fibonacci level has held the price down while the 1200 area has supported price. Price is ranging sideways which is quite common after downtrend is broken and the market participants fight over the future direction of the gold price. At the moment we have a higher low in place (from yesterday) which indicates that buyers are ready bid for Gold between 1190 and 1200. There is further support from a daily pivot candle from January 2nd this year and the lower Bollinger bands (currently at 1179 and 1188).

Gold-240-min.png

Gold, 240 min

Levels outside the lower Bollinger bands and a pivot candle from 24th February have been attracting buyers lately. There was an attempt to take the price higher last week and price was making higher lows and higher highs until the resistance at 1223 proved too much for the buyers. There was rejection candle yesterday (a candle with a long shadow below). This confirms the idea of 1190 to 1200 being an important range for buyers.

Conclusion:

Price is now at key levels and I am looking for a move higher from this support. In the recent past it has taken two to three weeks for the price Gold to turn from support levels. Therefore should there be a rally in not so distant future. But as the market participants are looking at this Friday’s jobs release from the US as a potential indication on when Fed might be raising rates the price of Gold might be moving sideways until Friday. Should Friday’s NFP figures be a disappointment, the likelihood of Fed raising rates early would be smaller and this should support the price of Gold. Levels close to or inside the 1190 – 1200 support range should be monitored for price action based buy signals. If you want to learn about price action based trading signals, just join me to educational and live analysis webinars.

Join me on Live Analysis Webinar on Tuesday 10th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. Register HERE for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat!

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Disclaimer: Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of purchase or sale of any financial instrument.

HotForex is an award winning, fully regulated and licensed online forex and commodities broker. Offers various accounts, trading software and trading tools to trade Forex and Commodities for individuals, fund managers and institutional customers. Retail, IB and White Label Clients have the opportunity to access interbank spreads and liquidity via state of the art automated trading platforms.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Date : 5th March 2015

EURUSD BROKE SUPPORT AHEAD OF ECB MEETING.

EURUSD-W.png

I said in my previous analysis that the shooting star candle indicated that the price will stay in the downtrend and concluded that the support levels are more likely broken and resistance levels honoured. The intraday move I hoped to see did not materialize and EURUSD kept on creeping gradually lower until the support was broken. This was another one of those situations where the market did not give us the high probability entry level I was hoping to have. At the same time I should emphasize that trading against the trend (buying against a support in a downtrend) is not a high probability trade. That is why the emphasis in my analysis was on finding short entries against resistance levels after a possible rally. Now that the support is broken the game has obviously not changed at all. Selling rallies still is the high probability trade in this market.

Now that the price has moved below the 1.1098 support level it has changed its role and become a resistance. The next potential support level in the weekly chart is at 1.0765 and could work as a target for short trades for those looking to trade the weekly downtrend. Stochastics stays in the oversold zone even though there is some divergence in the indicator due the recent sideways move. The ECB comes out today with the latest rate decision but no change is expected. There might be some details revealed on the 1.1 tr EUR QE plan though.

EURUSD-D.png

EURUSD, Daily

Since my last analysis EURUSD moved sideways for three days before dropping below the 1.1098 support. This is a good example of when a time based exit should be applied by those trading against a support level. I said earlier that trading against the trend is not a high probability game but there are always aggressive traders that hope that there will be an exception to the rule and market shoots higher against the trend. These traders should be even more cautious if there is no positive reaction and the price keeps on creating lower daily highs. This is obviously a sign of market being weak and any long ideas should be scrapped. We don’t have to fight against the market. Rather we seek opportunities to agree with it.

Currently price is reacting higher from the 61.8% Fibonacci extension level while the 261.8% Fibonacci extension level coincides with the 1.0765 support level and therefore adds to its significance. The resistance levels above are the 1.1098 (previous weekly support) and the proximity of 1.12 level with the 100% extension level. Price is oversold in terms of Stochastics oscillator which suggests that we might get an opportunity to sell the resistance levels.

EURUSD-60-min.png

EURUSD, 60 min

Price is trending lower in a relatively narrow regression channel and is at the time of writing reacting lower from a minor resistance level at 1.1060, which is also a pivot low in 240 min chart. The other resistance levels are 1.1152 and the zone from 1.1096 to 1.1112 that coincides with the upper Bollinger Bands.

Conclusion:

Market is still trending lower with resistance levels above. I am therefore still short oriented and look for lower time frame timing signals at resistance levels with a target at 1.0765. ECB rates decision is not expected to move the markets but commentary on the QE program could cause additional volatility. This emphasizes the need to follow the market action at the resistance levels and trade only the high probability setups.

Join me on Live Analysis Webinar on Tuesday 10th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. Register HERE for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat!

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Disclaimer: Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of purchase or sale of any financial instrument.

HotForex is an award winning, fully regulated and licensed online forex and commodities broker. Offers various accounts, trading software and trading tools to trade Forex and Commodities for individuals, fund managers and institutional customers. Retail, IB and White Label Clients have the opportunity to access interbank spreads and liquidity via state of the art automated trading platforms.

Date : 6th March 2015

S&P MOVING SIDEWAYS ABOVE THE DEC 2014 HIGH.

ES-W.png

I suggested in my previous S&P 500 analysis that the market could be correcting lower. This was based on both technical and sector analysis. On February 25th I wrote: over the last six trading days the money flows have been once again favouring the Utilities and Health Care sectors over all the other sectors, while Energy and Financials have lagged the most. All this put together indicates that we could see the S&P 500 slowing down and possibly correcting lower in the course of the next few trading days. Index was trading at 2011.25 points at the time of my analysis and is trading at the time of writing at 2098.75 (-87 points).

Today’s an NFP Friday and the markets are likely to be in a waiting mode as the unemployment readings are important indicators for the Fed in deciding the timing of the first rate hike. Consensus expectation is 240K new jobs and should the number deviate strongly to the downside it’d be likely that the Fed would be more patient and delay the start of the rate hikes. Another important data point is the Average Hourly Earnings which will give an indication on the ability of consumers to consume. The Nonfarm Payrolls, Average Hourly Earnings, Labour Force Participation Rate and Unemployment Rate for the month of February are published today at 13:30 GMT. For other economic releases, see the HotForex Economic Calendar here.

The last two weekly bars have been narrow bodied Dojis. This indicates lack of demand and increases probabilities that this market will correct lower. As there has been no upside momentum over the last two weeks, Stochastics is overbought and turning lower. In addition, the upper Bollinger Bands are near and have been limiting upside. Support and resistance levels in weekly picture are: 2062.50, 2088.75 and 2117.75.

ES-D.png

S&P 500, Daily

After wedging a bit at the time of my previous analysis S&P 500 e-mini future (ES) moved out of the rising regression channel. Price has been supported by the pivot high at 2088.75 and 23.6% Fibonacci level with a new resistance at the latest high (2117.75). Support at 2062.50 coincides with the lower Bollinger Bands and the 38.2% Fibonacci retracement. Should ES correct further the next important support level is 2020.50. The fact that price has been reacting higher from the proximity of 2088.75 level in suggests that this level is seen as an important support.

ES-240.png

S&P 500, 240 min

Index futures have attracted buyers at 2085 area but the resistance from both the descending trendline and the previous support at 2101 level have this far blocked the moves higher. At the time of writing there isn’t much momentum to either direction as market waits for the NFP release but the moves from 2085 have been strong (hammer candles). This suggest there will be buyers at this level today. Should this level be broken the next support level at 2062.50 coincides roughly with the 1.618 Fibonacci extension level. It is also a former resistance which adds to the significance of this level.

Conclusion:

In the longer term picture US stock market is now fairly overbought and the last two weeks’ weekly narrow body candles indicate that there is not much willingness to pay higher prices for equities but no strong need to sell off either. At the same time technology, the heaviest sector in the S&P 500 index is close to channel top and Apple the heaviest weighted stock in this sector looks like it could correct lower after a bearish weekly candle last week. Even if this correction takes place I still believe this market can move higher and therefore look for buying opportunities at support levels.

Technicals and macro view are giving a slightly mixed message: if the employment numbers are weak the Fed is likely to start rate hikes later which would be good for the stock market. However, at the same time strong employment numbers would indicate an improving economy, which again is a reason to stay long in Stocks. Market reactions to today’s NFP release are therefore an important indicator of things to come in the near future. If market finds support either at 2085 or 2062.50 and reacts higher with good momentum (that takes ES into new highs) the technical picture stays positive and supports the long term bullish view.

In regards to short term trading ideas I am looking for minor time frame reversal signals at the above mentioned support and resistance levels once the employment numbers are released and the market is likely to have some volatility again. Market is not likely to move strongly before the employment release later on today. Should there be no strong deviation from the consensus expectation the nearest technical levels will be honoured but higher deviation from expectations will be translated into stronger whipsaws in price. If the latter is the case, then momentum reversal traders should be looking to trade levels further away from the current price.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 9th March 2015

GBPUSD HIT THE TARGET AND RETURNED TO RECENT LOWS.

GBPUSD-W1.png

In my previous analysis in GBPUSD from February 6th I took a view that with such a show of strength as we had seen in the market the only logical conclusion was to look for buying opportunities until there was price action based evidence to the contrary. Retracements to support levels should be monitored for momentum reversal signals. I pointed to 1.5487 to 1.5541 as a target area for successful swing entries. The pair overshoot the area by 11 pips before it turned lower again and formed a weekly shooting star candle providing the price action based evidence to switch the bias from long to short. It has now reached levels that are a potential buy level.

After Friday’s upsurge in the US Dollar index (caused by a surprisingly positive NFP reading) GBPUSD price has moved down to levels where it started its up move in the beginning of February. This area coincides with the lower weekly Bollinger Bands and higher end of the downward regression channel. RSI (7) is diverging suggesting bullishness at current levels. This combination of technical factors has caused a move higher today confirming that buyers are still interested to bet for Sterling at these levels. This price action looks very much like a bottoming process and the fact it takes place in weekly time frame adds to its significance. With relatively strong economic output and well developing job market the UK is at the moment one of the strongest economies globally and we could see a rate hike in the latter half of this year. This is reflected in the GBPUSD. We will have more comments on the UK economy tomorrow as Bank of England’s Governor Mark Carney will speak at 14:35 GMT.

GBPUSD-D1.png

GBPUSD, Daily

In the daily chart GBPUSD moved deep below the lower Bollinger Bands suggesting the price was very much oversold on Friday evening. The Stochastics and RSI confirmed the idea and are now beginning to point higher. In the daily time frame this market is now ranging sideways and we should therefore look for trading opportunities at the edges of the range. The lower end of the range obviously is where we look for buy opportunities while the upper end of the range at or close to the February high can work as an area for short term long trade exits or short entries (should the price action so indicate). The 1.5036 is a high for a pivot candle at the bottom of the range and therefore points to the region of potential support. This level has already supported price in the beginning of February and seems to attract buyers now as well. The previous support at 1.5220 is now likely a resistance area.

GBPUSD-2401.png

GBPUSD, 240 min

Four hour chart shows how Friday’s move lower was an overshoot as price extended from the trend defined by the regression channel. Now price has reacted higher from 1.5036 support and retraced back to the channel bottom where it is showing signs of weakness. The 0.382 Fibonacci level coincides with the 1.5220 resistance while the 0.618 level is at same levels with a former minor support (now potentially a resistance) and the upper Bollinger Bands.

Conclusion:

Even though the DXY is moving into new highs GBPUSD is still above the January lows after it moved above more than 12% from the January lows to February highs. Weekly chart is telling to longer term position traders that this market is possibly in a bottoming process as the price has moved out of the downward sloping trend channel, moved past four weekly highs and is now finding support just above the recent support area. Such an increase in volatility is usually a sign of a trend change. Shorter term traders could benefit from the longer term price action by trading the swings between the range edges using the support and resistance levels provided above.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 11th March 2015

EURGBP SETUPS HAVE MADE HUNDREDS OF PIPS.

EURGBP-W1.png

We got it right again in EURGBP. The pair rallied to a resistance level I gave in my last analysis and has then sold off heavily. My view on March 2nd EURGBP analysis was that out of major EUR crosses, it is the EURGBP that is the weakest and therefore makes it an ideal market to sell the rallies. I wrote then that the zone from 0.7300 to 0.7314 is an area we should be looking for momentum reversal signals as the channel midline and the upper Bollinger Bands coincide with the zone. EURGBP rose to 0.7301 on that day and has since dropped over 200 pips. We have now had two very good sell signals in EURGBP lately. The first sell signal as per my analysis came at just below 0.7596 and now the other in proximity of 0.7301. My analysis and the signals that I teach in my webinars have made several hundred pips in EURGBP for our traders. If you would like to learn how to catch moves like this you are welcome to join me to free webinars here.

As the EURGBP is basically collapsing at the time of writing the weekly picture does not provide us with a lot to analyse. With trend lower indicators are oversold and price is hugging the lower Bollinger Bands. The nearest weekly support and resistance levels are 0.7022 a former resistance level from 2006 and 2007 and the last week’s low at 0.7183.

EURGBP-D1.png

EURGBP, Daily

Price has extended below the regression channel and has for the first time since January 26th closed outside the lower Bollinger Bands. This suggests that the trend has moved too far too quickly. This increases probabilities for a corrective move against the prevailing trend over the coming few days.

EURGBP-2401.png

EURGBP, 240 min

EURGBP trend is extended in 4h chart as well. In case there will be a move against the trend over the coming few days potential resistance levels that could turn price lower again are 0.7130 and 0.7180. The lower level is clearly a minor resistance level as it is a spot where price tried to hold the channel bottom. This caused a sideways move visible in the 60 min chart and could act as a resistance should the market be weak.

Conclusion:

As long as the market keeps on moving lower and there is no price based evidence to the contrary there is no hurry to close the short trades. Exception to this would be price hitting the 0.7022 support level which could well bounce the price higher and therefore is a logical target level. Price is in a downtrend and we should be looking to sell rallies as long as the approach works. However, once the 0.7022 target is hit the pair is at a major consolidation level and selling rallies might get trickier. Currently I am looking at 0.7130 and 0.7180 as potential shorting levels in case there is a rally higher and 0.7022 area as a target for short trades.

Join me on Live Analysis Webinar on Tuesday 17th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. Register HERE for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat!

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 13th March 2015

CADJPY TRADING IN A RANGE AFTER A SHOOTING STAR CANDLE.

CADJPY-W.png

CADJPY has weakened substantially since November last year and has over the last weeks bounced higher from a support at 91.78. The support is loosely defined by the lower Bollinger Bands and a pivot candle from March 2014. Last week price reacted lower from a weekly low creating a shooting star candle and confirming a resistance level at 96.74. A couple of weeks ago the pair bounced from 94.17 forming a support level.

CADJPY-D.png

CADJPY, Daily

There was a shooting star last week in the daily chart as well. CADJPY has since then moved sideways between resistance at 96.74 and a rising trendline. The resistance coincides roughly with 38.2% Fibonacci level (drawn from December 2014 high to the January 2015 low) and upper Bollinger Bands. Bollinger Bands are narrowing which indicates that the pair is nearing a breakout but to which direction? The last two days indecision is clearly visible in the chart. Stochastic Oscillator is close to being oversold and is about to cross over its signal line. This together with the rising trendline encourages the bulls but the above shooting stars and resistance that are relatively close dampens the enthusiasm.

CADJPY-240.png

CADJPY, 240 min

The pair has been making lower highs and breaking support levels since the move to 96.74 was rejected. Fluctuations created a triangle that was resolved to the downside and provided one shorting opportunity on a rebound as the pair tested the lower end of the triangle and failed to penetrate it. Since then we have had a new lower low and lower high as the pair has been moving towards the lower end of the range. Projection from triangle points to 50% Fibonacci level (near 94.17 support). Should that support fail the next interesting support level is at 93.03 as it coincides with a 261.8% Fibonacci extension. I have left the extension levels off from the chart to improve readability.

Conclusion:

Trading in the middle of the range is always tricky while the easiest money is made at the edges and the pair is currently trading pretty much in the middle of the range. However, the weekly and daily shooting stars at 96.74 resistance level indicate willingness to sell the CADJPY at those levels while the lower highs and lower lows in 4h chart suggest that the pair should be testing the 94.17 level in not so distant future. This far the 38.2% Fibonacci level and the rising trendline have prevented the price moving lower. In addition there was bullish divergence in the Stochastic Oscillator at the time the pair bounced higher from the trendline. The intraday picture therefore has both bullish and bearish elements while the weekly shooting star points to lower prices from current levels.

The wide range candle from the beginning of February indicates that demand between 91.78 and 94.17 was strong. Quick moves into this area should be therefore met by willingness to bid the pair higher. Should such a quick move happen I would be interested in long signals at or near to the 93.03 support. I will be monitoring the levels close to the upper daily Bollinger Bands (at around 96.20) and the shooting star high.

Join me on Live Analysis Webinar on Tuesday 17th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. Register HERE for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat!

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 16th March 2015

COPPER’S RELATIVE STRENGHT DUE TO CHINA.

Copper-M1.png

Copper is in a long term bear channel and moved in February to a level that has supported price in the past. This was also the first time since year 2008 that Money Flow Index moved into overbought zone in Monthly timeframe. In February 2007 price touched 2.40 level and moved higher over the next two years. Now there was another bounce from the same level and the price of Copper is on the rise for the second month in a row. The nearest resistance level is approx. at 2.72 while the next major resistance is at 2.88.

Copper-W1.png

Copper, Weekly

Copper (an industrial metal) has been stronger performer than precious metals since the latest US Jobs report came in with a surprisingly high number and strenhgtened the US dollar. While Gold and Silver have declined by almost 3% since March 5th Copper has at the time of writing gained 1.1%. However, the US rate hike expectations mean the US dollar strengthens and buying power amongst non-USD based investors decreases for dollar based assets such as Copper. This combined with slowing economic growth in China slows down the Copper bulls and has caused the price to fluctuate below resistance levels. On the other the hand price has held up and even edged higher as market participants believe that easier lending conditions should improve demand in China, the biggest consumer of Copper globally. The price of copper has made two weekly lower highs since touching the 2.72 resistance level (a former support from June 2010) while the MFI (7) is overbought and Stochastics are close to the same levels and hinting that the momentum is waning. This could lead to further fluctuation between the 2.59 support and a high of 2.73 from couple of weeks ago. Other support levels are 2.55 and 2.40, a high and low of the January pivot candle high and low.

Copper-D1.png

Copper, Daily

The price of copper is near to the upper Bollinger Bands and Stochastics is getting overbought. Price has just recently bounced from a support at 2.59 forming yet another higher low. This was technically a good sign as it confirmed the level that used to resist price moves higher is now a support. The fact that this level now coincides with the lower daily Bollinger Bands makes it more significant support area.

Conclusion:

Fundamental factors that both support the price of Copper and resist its move higher translate into a ranging market, price action that honours the technical levels at both ends of the range. Levels near to 2.59 support level used to resist moves higher and are now providing support while the move to 2.72 resistance was rejected. This suggests that short term traders should look for trade opportunities at or close to these levels while longer term position traders might want to consider longs closer to the 2.40 support and shorts closer to the 2.88 resistance levels. This is the likely range copper futures over the coming weeks and months as major news stories or surprises on either the US Federal Reserve’s rate policy or Chinese consumption of Copper they might provide the trigger to move the price of Copper to these levels. Chinese premier Li Keqiang commented that the government will be ready to support the Chinese economy should the slowdown in growth affect employment and incomes. He wasn’t specific on the measures the government might use but a hope of economic stimulus in China should support the price of Copper. Against this backdrop traders might want to be buyers near support levels rather than trying to find shorts. This view would be negated if the US Fed indicated that it would hike rates more than expected. However, it is likely that the Fed will be cautious in raising rates.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 19th March 2015

US FED DOVISHNESS CAUSED EURUSD TO SPIKE.

EURUSD-240-min.png

EURUSD is now trading at 1.0640 support. Yesterday the pair moved all the way back to 1.1040 after the US Fed Chair Yellen took a more dovish stance on the economy. She removed patience from the vocabulary but indicated that strong dollar and slowing export growth are risks for the economy. According to Janet Yellen the change in forward guidance did not alter the timing of the first tightening and that a hike in April remained unlikely.

The tone of the statement also suggested a June hike is not likely to happen, especially since the FOMC downgraded its assessment of the economy in the opening paragraph. According to them “economic growth has moderated somewhat” thanks in part to slowing export growth. The Fed also seemed less confident that inflation pressures are transitory, which will continue to be “monitored closely.” The policy paragraph now states that rates will rise when the Fed sees “further improvement in the labor market and is ‘reasonably confident’ that inflation will move back to its 2 percent objective.”

It is interesting how no one paid attention to the headline inflation while oil prices were high. The focus was on CPI as it allowed the central banks to maintain the easy money policies. Now, suddenly it is the headline figure that seems to be in central banks’ focus. In the light of this the current wording in the Fed’s policy paragraph gives them more freedom in terms of continuing with the zero rates policy.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 25th March 2015

EURUSD: A DAILY SHOOTING STAR POINTING TO DOWNSIDE.

EURUSD-M.png

EURUSD has risen over the last two weeks after the Fed Chair Yellen said in her statement that there are worries over the export growth in the US economy due to the strong dollar. Yesterday’s new home sales and CPI figures could didn’t help the pair to push through the resistance at 1.1040.

The dollar rallied in the aftermath of the warmer U.S. inflation report, quickly sold off from there, then dragged itself up through the remainder of the morning session. EURUSD fell to 1.0936 from 1.0995 after the CPI data, before climbing to session highs of 1.1029, and then falling to session lows of 1.0890. U.S. new home sales rebounded 7.8% to 539k in February, much better than expected and the strongest since April 2008. Back months were revised with January boosted to 500k from 481k previously, while December’s 482k was nudged down to 479k. The February overall-CPI was 0.2% (median 0.2%), while the core index was 0.2% (median 0.1%). Year over year growth accelerated to unchanged from -0.1% and the core y/y growth held at 1.7%. January’s was the slowest pace of y/y growth since -0.2% in October ’09. Energy prices grew 1.0%, with a 2.4% gasoline price increase. Food prices were 0.2% after after remaining unchanged last month.

The monthly chart reveals an important trendline support in the region of the recent bounce from 1.0459. This could be a supporting element that keeps the pair from plummeting to parity for some time, especially so if the Fed continues using dovish language in their statements. Important weekly support level in the weekly chart is at 1.0459 while the resistance levels are at 1.1098 and 1.1460.

EURUSD-d.png

EURUSD, Daily

A daily shooting star candle suggests the pair will move lower today. High Stochastics value supports the view. If the market rallies today levels closer to yesterday’s high would be attractive shorting levels.Support area from 1.0460 to 1.0620 is a reasonable target but it would make sense to close the short trades as price approaches the level at some 20 pips higher.

EURUSD-240.png

EURUSD, 240 min

The pair has moved sideways above the 1.0883 support and over the last two candles below the ascending trendline. The 4h Bollinger Bands (currently at 1.0988 and 1.0240) would be preferable shorting levels but should the support break before price rallies, then smaller timeframe price action should be used to enter the short trades as per my teaching in the webinars.

EURUSD-240.png

EURUSD, 60 min

The resistance (red line) at 1.0938 has been resisting moves higher this morning while EURUSD has made higher lows above the lower Bollinger Bands. This suggests that pressure is building against the 1.0938 minor resistance level and price might well rally towards the potential sell area at 4h Bollinger Bands.

Conclusion:

Price reacting lower from a resistance and creating a Shooting Star candle indicates weakness. However, price trading at support and creating higher lows suggests that price might well move higher today and provide an opportunity to look for short signals at 4h Bollinger Bands.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 25th March 2015

GERMAN MARCH IFO JUMPED TO 107.9.

EURUSD-60-minutes.png

German March Ifo jumped to 107.9 (median 107.3) from 106.8 in the previous month. The higher than expected reading was boosted by a sharp rise in the expectations index, which came in at 103.9, after 102.5 in February. The current conditions indicator improved to 112.0 from 111.3. The diffusion index, which gives the balance of positive and negative answers shows improvements in all sectors, with the exception of the construction industry, where sentiment turned even more negative, despite the sharp rise in house prices. The March reading meant the Ifo improved to 107.1 in Q1 from 104.5 in Q4 last year. German growth this year is set to come in much stronger than anticipated, and the fact that economic momentum was already strong ahead of the ECB’s QE start means there is some risk of overheating in the German economy. Wages growth is set to pick up and in the long run this will cut German competitiveness and weigh on the medium term outlook and the Bundesbank will need to keep a close eye on the property market.

EURUSD reaction was subdued and the pair stayed between two intraday support and resistance levels (1.0937 and 1.0968) with a high at 1.0974. This level coincides with rising trendline and the upper Bollinger Bands in 60 min timeframe.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 26th March 2015

S&P 500 AT SUPPORT AFTER 4.67% DROP IN SMH.

VIX-daily.png

The US stock market declined for a third day in a row yesterday. Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 1.62% while Nasdaq and S&P 500 declined by 2.37% and -1.46% respectively. This has impacted the Asian and European markets today with Nikkei 225 futures in the red by 1.54% Dax futures down by 2.01% at the time of writing. US equity volatility index VIX shot higher yesterday. VIX moved up to 15.44 as NASDAQ -1.6% was sucking the S&P 500 into negative territory. VIX is well up from the previous session lows 12.59. In proximity of the mid-March range index will be hitting the daily Bollinger Bands.

ES-W2.png

S&P 500 e-mini futures, daily

RSI is indicating that the weekly S&P trend is getting weaker. Momentum has slowed down since December last year and this has led to RSI creating lower highs while the S&P e-mini futures (ES) made and all-time high in February. ES has now created a lower weekly high and retraced back to the 50% Fibonacci level at 2040.

ES-D2.png

ES created a lower high just below the weekly pivot candle and is currently trading at the daily Bollinger Bands and 50% Fibonacci level. This level also coincides with a daily pivot candle from March 13th. Stochastics is getting oversold but a lower high at 2100 is a sign of weakness and could mean that this market moves lower before finding support.

ES-D11.png

Here’s another look at the daily chart with a perspective a bit further away. With ES not being able to move above the February high price has created a bearish wedge is currently moving outside the wedge formation. If current support at 2032 breaks it could mean that the trajectory has changed and we will have a new less steep trend channel that defines the moves over the coming weeks. This would bring the grey trendline into play. Also, should the price stay below the black trendline technical picture would deteriorate substantially.

SMH-D.png

Semiconductor Sector ETF (SMH), Daily

Analysis on US sectors reveals that over the last 10 trading days professional money has been moving away from Financials and Industrials and into Utilities and Health Care stocks. This of course is a bearish fact suggesting that the long only fund managers see the market being weak and feel the need to do what they can to minimize the market impact as they cannot hedge their positions with derivatives. The massive drop in the Semiconductor stocks after a lower high in the index ETF supports this view. However, the support area is getting also relatively close suggesting that the market is not likely to continue in a free fall but will find support over the coming few days. As futures have declined today it is possible that these stocks will open fairly close to the support levels. Picture in the technology and industrials sector ETFs is somewhat similar indicating that they have a bit further to fall before they meet potential support levels.

ES-2402.png

S&P 500 e-mini futures, 240 min

The down move paused at the rising trendline but the selling pressure prevailed. ES is now approaching the 2032 low with oscillators deeply in the overbought territory and has reacted higher from the support level.

Conclusion:

At the time of writing ES is trading at a support level and it remains to be seen if the traders are willing to seriously bid for the market here. Support levels usually lead to at least some sort of rallies but there needs to be follow-through after the initial reaction. In that sense nearby resistance levels can be problematic as they tend to invite selling. There is a resistance level at 2052 while the violated trendline is at 2050. In addition, the 4.67% drop in the Semiconductor stocks could make the market participants careful today. The wedge formation is pretty much violated after today’s move lower. Only if we see a strong rally higher and a close inside the formation is the technical picture salvaged.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 27th March 2015

EURGBP CORRECTING LOWER AND BREAKING SUPPORT LEVELS.

EURGBP-W2.png

I suggested in my previous EURGBP analysis that as long as the market keeps on moving lower and there is no price based evidence to the contrary there is no hurry to close the short trades. I noted that an exception to this would be price hitting the 0.7022 support level which could well bounce the price higher and therefore is a logical target level. Price is in a downtrend and we should be looking to sell rallies as long as the approach works. However, once the 0.7022 target is hit the pair is at a major consolidation level and selling rallies might get trickier. The pair indeed hit the 0.7022 target level and rallied higher quite substantially. Selling rallies has definitely been trickier since then as price pretty much rocketed through the resistance level.

The pair is trading below a weekly low from February at 0.7340 after trying to penetrate the resistance area above the level. Now that EURUSD is reacting lower from a resistance EURGBP is moving lower as well. They key support levels are 0.7220 (weekly pivot candle high) and 0.7022 a historical support. Nearest resistance levels are at 0.7340 and 0.7405. Weekly close above the pivotal weekly candle high is a longer term bullish sign as this has not happened since October last year and could signal that the pair has a bottoming process ahead.

EURGBP-D2.png

EURGBP, Daily

Run up higher was followed by a relatively narrow range candle in the upper Bollinger Bands two days ago. In yesterday’s trading price closed below previous day’s low suggesting a turn around. Stochastics is overbought and signalling a momentum change, thus supporting the bearish view. Today price has moved outside the rising trendline and March 18th daily high and 23.6% Fibonacci retracement level coinciding.

EURGBP-2402.png

EURGBP, 240 min

Price has indeed broken the steeper trendline (grey line) and has now reached another that can be drawn by using the pivot points at A and B. There is a resistance level at 0.7318 that was created when the pair found support at the now violated trendline (grey). Next intraday support is at 0.7260 while the 61.8% Fibonacci level suggests support at March 19th low at 0.7150 (point B).

Conclusion:

Long term: Weekly close above the pivotal weekly candle high is a longer term bullish sign as this has not happened since October last year and could signal that the pair has a bottoming process ahead. This could lead to a double bottom or to price creating a higher low. Time (and price action) will tell. The range between 0.7022 and 0.7105 is definitely worth keeping an eye on should the price move that low. Buy signals inside this range would indicate demand at those levels.

Short term: Price has violated 23.6% Fibonacci level and a support level created by a daily high and a secondary trendline. Therefore it makes sense to look to sell the rallies intraday. This would give us an opportunity to follow price action resistance levels identified in the above charts, especially 4h chart, and see if market is acting weakly or strongly. I would look at levels below 61.8% Fibonacci level as target as they should attract buyers.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 30th March 2015

WEEKLY HAMMER AT SUPPORT SEND USDCAD HIGHER.

USDCAD-W.png

USDCAD (weekly) has been moving sideways since the beginning of February. The proximity of the year 2009 high has caused the sideways move. I suggested in my analysis at the time that USDCAD should move above the latest highs as US economy is stronger than the economy in Canada. The fact that USDCAD has maintained the support well and has now created a weekly hammer candle at the support supports my view. Bears might point out that Stochastics oscillator and RSI (7) have created lower highs and therefore signal that the momentum is waning. This however, is what happens each time price moves sideways. Therefore, oscillators do not tell us anything we wouldn’t know by reading price action. Nearest support and resistance levels are at 1.2409 and 1.2835. The year 2009 high at 1.3064 would be the next major resistance once price moves beyond the 1.2835.

USDCAD-D.png

USDCAD, Daily

Price action in the daily chart points to the upside. USDCAD has found support from the area near the 38.2% Fibonacci level and the lower Bollinger Bands. Last week Stochastics moved to oversold territory and the 50 day moving average catched up with the price. Friday’s close well above the hammer candle high was a bullish sign and created a hammer candle in the weekly chart as well.

USDCAD-240.png

USDCAD, 240

After being held back by the 50% Fibonacci level and a pivot high price is now breaking higher. This is very much in line with the bullishness in daily and weekly charts. The pair broken out of the wedge formation and projection from the formation points to the resistance zone between 1.2724 and 1.2760. Support levels are at 1.2621, 1.2531 and 1.2409.

Conclusion:

Long term technical picture is bullish as institutional buying has created a hammer candle at the support. The latest weekly low was also higher than the pivot low in the weekly chart from the mid February. Short term picture supports this as price has broken out of a wedge formation in the 4h chart and has closed above the Friday’s daily hammer candle. As the setup in the higher time frames is favourable I am looking for pullbacks to technical levels at 60 and 15 min charts. The range at 1.2724 – 1.2760 is my target for this price move.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 1st April 2015

USDJPY MAKES HIGHER DAILY LOWS.

USDJPY-W.png

USDJPY has been moving sideways since November last year and is now reacting higher from a support at 118.33. Since then the pair has briefly penetrated the November high and has created a series of higher weekly lows between 115.57 and the latest low at 118.33. This suggests that the pair should move higher once the consolidation period has ended. A trigger for this could be further monetary easing from the Japanese central bank. Even though the pair has reacted higher from support it is still relatively close to the support levels.

USDJPY-D.png

USDJPY, Daily

USDJPY moved down to 118.33 last week but the move rejected and created a hammer candle. Since then price has reacted higher as is usual after such a move and has now retraced back to this pivotal candle with reaction higher in today’s trading. Today’s low coincides with a 50 period SMA, the lower Bollinger Bands and a rising trendline. This suggests that the pair will move higher over the coming days. The nearest support is at 119.41 and the important resistance levels at 121.55 and 1.2202.

USDJPY-4h.png

USDJPY, 240 min

After breaking out of a wedge formation the pair was consolidating for a while. This consolidation pattern created a support from which price has now reacted higher from. Now we have a hammer candle and some follow through but price is struggling with a minor resistance at 120. Stochastic oscillator is at 34 points and is about to cross over the signal line to the upside. The channel width points to an area between resistance levels at 121.09 and 121.50.

Conclusion:

USDJPY has been a bit sluggish to move higher over the last three to four days, even though we have had bullish signals and the market has been trading close a support. This raises some questions but as long as this pair stays inside the bullish channel (see the daily chart) and makes higher lows it is safe to assume that the pair will move towards my short term target area between 121.09 and 121.50. Price has found support from a 50 period SMA and a previous 4h resistance. Should there be retracements to this level I would look for buy signals with a target at 121.09. If there is no bigger retracement I will be looking to take benefit from smaller timeframe technical levels.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 2nd April 2015

UK CONSTRUCTION PMI BELOW EXPECTATIONS.

GBPAUD-Weekly.png

GBPAUD reached a historical resistance at 1.9697 (a spring 2009 low) in February and has since reacted lower from this level. Over the last two weeks the pair has been rallying strongly and is nearing the resistance area again. Fundamentals and the strong weekly trend support the bids in GBPAUD but price has rallied strongly and reached a potential resistance level. Therefore it pays to monitor the market more closely and time the entries at support levels in pullbacks.

Sterling has been trending higher against the Australian dollar as it is likely that the Reserve Bank of Australia will cut the interest rates either in April or May while the UK economy is rather strong. A recent editorial in The Australian that said “a cut in interest rates either next month or in May is a virtual certainty,”. A 25 basis points cut at the May policy review is likely, which would take the cash rate to a record low 2.0%.

Australian economy is slowing while the commodity prices have dropped significantly. Growth has slowed, with GDP rising 0.5% q/q in Q4, but slowing to a 2.5% y/y pace from +2.7% y/y in Q3. The RBA’s Index of Commodity Prices has tumbled. The index has fallen by 20.6% y/y in SDR terms through February, driven by lower prices for bulk commodities. At 72.5, the index is at its lowest level since December 2009, extending pullback from a 124.7 peak in July 2011. In addition, inflation has slowed, with CPI dropping to 1.7% y/y in Q4 from 2.3% y/y in Q3.

At the same time UK data improves and even though the elections cause a certain level of anxiety in the markets (no one likes uncertainty) the GBPAUD has been rather strong lately. Incoming UK data has been rather strong. The future data should be positive for sterling, though concerns of a hung parliament outcome at the May-7 general election are likely to crimp enthusiasm for the UK currency and assets, especially if the Scottish Nationalist Party ends up holding the balance of power. UK Markit manufacturing PMI survey came in at 54.3 in March, fractionally above our survey median for 54.3 and improving from February’s 54.1 reading. This is the third consecutive month of improvement, affirming that activity in the sector is reaccelerating after a soft patch in Q4 last year.

UK construction PMI was much worse than expected at 57.8 in March, down from February’s 60.1 and well below the Reuters median forecast for 59.5. The 2014 overall average was 61.8, so the data points to a drop-off in momentum. The decline in March was largely reflective of a slowdown in civil engineering activity growth, which the survey found may be related to uncertainty ahead of the too-close-to-call May-7 general election. Job creation also remained below 2014 levels. However, at 57.8 this still signals a robust level of activity while business confidence rose to a nine-year high. Sub-contractor charges rose at the fastest pace since the survey began in 1997. Overall, the strong outlook offsets the decline in the headline, and the slowdown in activity in some areas may pick up after the May election.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 4th April 2015

EURUSD APPROACHING RESISTANCE AFTER NFP DISAPPOINTMENT.

EURUSD-Daily.png

The EURUSD rallied after the combination of a disappointing NFP release, and downward back revisions in the figures. The pair is approaching a resistance area created by a combination of technical factors. The resistance levels of 1.1052 and 1.1098 coincide with 50 day MA and the upper Bollinger Bands. This resistance has been tested twice and after the latest test EURUSD made a higher low. This suggests the pair will be trying to move higher from here. The next important daily resistance levels are closer to the 1.1460 which could well come into play now that the NFP release was such a disappointment.

The analysts expected an increase of 246k jobs but we got only 126k. The 126k U.S. March payroll rise with 69k in prior downward revisions and a 0.2% drop in hours-worked, combined with big goods-sector declines for payrolls and hours-worked lowered production estimates for March.

Price action at the resistance levels is going to be interesting to follow. If the pair corrects lower from it I expect the correction to be rather subdued. The surprisingly weak jobs figure means that now the Fed doves have further evidence of softening economy and a better case to postpone the rate hike. This is seen in the markets across the board as the USD is being sold against other currencies across the board.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

• 5 months later...
Date : 8th September 2015.

CURRENCY MOVERS OF 8th September 2015.

Chart_15-09-08_11-52-35.png

EURUSD, Daily

In Friday’s report we identified 1.1093 – 1.1154 as a likely range to contain EURUSD action after the NFP report. Apart from a spike to the upside trading was maintained well within the range. The low for the day was 1.1090 while the high printed at 1.1189 and the close inside the range at 1.1149. As a result the last week’s candle turned into a narrow range bar that signals hesitation. In relation to daily Bollinger Bands (20) price is firmly in the mid-range and it is therefore challenging to estimate the future moves. Today’s euro zone GDP release is out at 09:00 GMT. The number is expected to be a confirmation of the preliminary release. EURUSD is finding some support from 1.1154 – 1.1170 range but the bias is on the downside. Next important support levels are at 1.0930 and 1.1018.

ECB’s Noyer says markets are well prepared for Fed hike. The Bank of France Governor said the “Fed’s communication has been done well and in detail, adding that an increase in the federal funds rate is inevitable and the markets are well prepared. It is not the timing that matters. Draghi’s dovish comments last week were clearly also designed to remind markets that Europe is in a different situation and that a hike in the U.S. won’t mean tighter policies in Europe, which should also help to limit upward pressure on the EUR if rate hike expectations in the U.S. are being pushed out.

ECB’s Weidmann: Direct impact of China equity slump limited. The Bundesbank President said at the sidelines of the G20 meeting that the direct impact of the stock correction in China and that the Bundesbank sees no reason to change its growth forecast for Germany. Still, he stressed heightened uncertainty about the outlook and said risks have shifted, while at the same time repeating once again that monetary policy cannot solve all problems. This seems to be the general tenor of ECB comments at the moments, with officials trying to dampen market reliance on central bank intervention to fix the economic outlook, although words alone won’t change that.

Copper and other metals are up after Glencore announced output cuts at two of its copper mines, which will cut supply by about 400 thousand tonnes. Copper prices are now up by 1.7% on the day. Oversupply has been a big issue in the copper market, similar to iron ore, crude and many other raw materials. Glencore’s decision comes after data last week showed Chinese manufacturing PMI dove to a three-year low in August. China is the world’s biggest consumer of copper, and many other commodities. Copper prices hit cycle lows on Aug-24, during the recent height of the recent Chinese stock market panic, but have since rebounded by 5.5%.

German labour growth accelerates sharply. Latest data show total labour costs up 0.9% q/q in Q2, bringing the annual growth rate to a whopping 3.1% y/y, from 2.8% y/y in the previous quarter and versus just 0.7% at the start of 2014. Gross wages and salaries rose 3.4% y/y in Q2. The tight labour market is boosting wage demands and settlements and with inflation at very low levels, real disposable income is picking up and supporting private consumption, but also marked increases in property prices, especially in the urban hot spots. Amid sluggish productivity growth, the increases also look unsustainable and will undermine competitiveness and are likely to push up unemployment in the medium term, with the decline in jobless numbers already starting to peter out.

2015-09-08_1139.png

Currency Pairs, Grouped Performance (% change)

Ugly trade data from China gave further confirmation for the slowdown in its economy. The 13.8% drop in imports was even worse than 8.2% drop expected by the economists. As China is an important trade partner for Japan this hit the Japanese stock market hard and sent JPY sharply lower against the majors. The biggest losses in have been at the time of writing against the GBP and AUD.

GBPJPY was trading at the lower weekly Bollinger Bands (20) and near to a support. The pair has rallied strongly and is currently challenging 50 week SMA at 184.27. AUDJPY is also deeply oversold in the weekly picture. The current up move is taking place from a support area that was formed in August 2012. EURJPY also moved higher from weekly Bollinger Bands (20) and is currently trading near a resistance area at 134.50 – 135.00.

Significant daily support and resistance levels for these pairs are:

2015-09-08_1146.png

Main Macro Events Today

• Chinese import export data disappointed. Imports slumped by almost 14% year on year while YoY exports declined by 5.5%.

• Canada Trade Balance: We expect a widening in the trade deficit to -C$1.0 bln in July (median -C$1.1 bln) from -C$0.5 bln in June. The key for the report will be exports, for which we have penciled in for an 0.3% m/m gain in July after the 6.3% surge in June. A mix of factors were present in July, as oil prices tumbled and the Canadian dollar depreciated. At any rate, further growth in exports would offer key support to the BoC’s constructive outlook for second half growth, especially in the wake of the 0.5% bounce in June GDP.

• German trade surplus widened as exports rebound: Germany posted a sa trade surplus of EUR 22.8 bln in July, up from EUR 22.1 bln in the previous month, as exports rose 2.4% m/m, more than compensating for the 1.1% m/m decline in June. Imports rose 2.2% m/m, after falling 0.8% m/m in the previous month. Unadjusted data showed a surplus of EUR 25.0 bln in July, which brought the total for the year to date to 148.7, up from 122.1 in the first seven months of 2014. Exports were up 6.8% y/y over this period. Despite the scare stories, no sign then that German trade has been impacted significantly by slowing growth in China, at least so far, and Germany is heading for a new record trade surplus, although with import prices down on the year, this is of course partly also due to low oil prices.

• Eurozone final Q2 GDP: Eurozone Q2 GDP growth is expected to be confirmed at 0.3% q/q and 1.2% y/y, in line with preliminary numbers, which will leave the focus on the breakdown. We expect net exports and private consumption to have been the main drivers of growth. Investment remains the Eurozone key weakness, despite the very accommodative monetary policy. There are signs that loan growth is stabilising, but even in Germany, where financing conditions are not really a problem, investment has remained modest with structural factors, rather than financing conditions the main impediment for stronger investment.

2015-09-08_1141.png

Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report.

Click HERE to access the full HotForex Economic calendar.

Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE!

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.

Date : 9th September 2015.

CURRENCY MOVERS OF 9th September 2015.

Chart_15-09-09_13-53-39.png

EURUSD, Daily

In The 1.1214 resistance worked again yesterday and turned EURUSD down after the pair rallied from the support area identified in yesterday’s report. The pair keeps on moving sideways between a pivotal support at 1.1085 – 1.1150 and resistance at 1.1214. The pair also seems to honour 50 period SMA in the 4h timeframe as the slightly descending moving average has been limiting EURUSD advances lately. Today’s candle has potential to be a decisive one as it will create another lower high should it close down. There are two lower lows already and should today’s bar close below previous candle low another lower high will be created. Price has created lower highs in intraday charts, which suggests that the pair should move further into the aforementioned pivotal support. Apart from this pivotal support area support and resistance levels are at 1.0930, 1.1018 and 1.1214.

ECB’s Reinesch: Loose Monetary Policy support structural reforms. The governor of Luxembourg’s central bank said the “current accommodative monetary policy” provides a “window of opportunity” for structural reform. He stressed that “favourable financing conditions will offset possible short-term adjustment costs and will bring forward the longer-term benefits of reform”. According to Reinesch these “could focus on simplifying the administrative burden involved in creating a new firm or in growing a firm beyond arbitrary thresholds which trigger increases in compliance costs.” The ECB has been urging enhanced structural reforms for a while now, but in our view the risk is that without market pressure, governments will continue to shy away from any measures that could risk votes.

According to Eurostat the Seasonally adjusted GDP rose by 0.4% in both the euro area (EA19) and the EU28 during the second quarter of 2015, compared with the previous quarter, according to a second estimate published by Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union. In the first quarter of 2015, GDP grew by 0.5% in both areas. Compared with the same quarter of the previous year, seasonally adjusted GDP rose by 1.5% in the euro area and by 1.9% in the EU28 in the second quarter of 2015, after +1.2% and +1.7% respectively in the previous quarter. During the second quarter of 2015, GDP in the United States increased by 0.9% compared with the previous quarter (after +0.2% in the first quarter of 2015). Compared with the same quarter of the previous year, GDP grew by 2.7% (after +2.9% in the previous quarter).

The US consumer credit expanded 6.7% in July. It is a sign of confidence most likely propelled by low fuel prices and relatively steady job market. Outstanding consumer credit, a reflection of nonmortgage debt, rose $19.1 billion or at a 6.7% annual rate in July, the Federal Reserve said Tuesday. Consumer credit has been trending higher. It has increased each month for nearly four years. July credit growth was roughly in line with economists’ expectations. They had predicted a $19.5 billion increase. Revolving credit, mostly credit cards, rose at a 5.7% annual rate. In June it climbed at an annual rate of 10%. Non-revolving credit, made up largely of auto and student loans, increased at a 7% annual rate, compared with 9.4% in June. Almost 70% of US GDP growth comes from consumer spending and steady growth in consumer credit therefore is a positive indication for the economic growth.

The US Labor Market Conditions Index (LMCI) rose by 2.1 points in August. This was the largest monthly improvement in US labor markets over the last six months. There were also revisions for previous months’ readings 2015 were revised up by a net 2.3 points in yesterday’s release. This measure contracted by 370 points from January 2008 to June 2009 but now it has made up about 90% of the 2008-09 deterioration.

2015-09-09_1337_001.png

All currencies continue their rally against JPY today. JPY is typically seen as a safe haven currency and stock market gains across the globe signal that investors and other market players are once again ready accept risk. All the other currencies seem to be on a wait and see mode as fluctuations are relatively small when compared to JPY.

USDJPY has broken out of a 4h downtrend and is now trading near Aug 28th pivotal resistance. The low at 120.90 has tested bull commitment in USDJPY today. AUDJPY has rallied to a level that turned the pair lower Sept 3rd and has caused the market to hesitate: bearish pinbars in 4h chart. EURJPY hit the upper end of my resistance area at 135 and turned lower. Looking bearish now with some room to fall.

2015-09-09_1355.png

Main Macro Events Today

• Chinese import export data disappointed. Imports slumped by almost 14% year on year while YoY exports declined by 5.5%.

• Canada Housing Starts: We expect starts to improve to a 195.0k unit rate in August from the 193.0k pace in July. The economies of Canada’s energy producing regions have taken well publicized hits from the fall in energy prices. We expect slower activity in those markets to continue. However, mortgage rates are lean, which has boosted activity in other regions and helped maintain momentum in construction activity. Building permits will also be released and are expected to show a 5.0% drop in July after the 14.8% surge in June. A pull-back in multi-units is seen driving the pull-back in total permit values.

• Bank of Canada Rate decision: The August jobs report capped the recent run of data consistent with an economy at mid-year that is not in need of further policy stimulus. We’ve seen encouraging reports in the form of a 0.5% bounce in June GDP, back to back June and July export gains and jobs growth in both July and August. Granted, considerable downside risks remain, notably via a weaker China and volatile oil prices. But an improving U.S. economy underpins the outlook for ongoing growth in exports — about 75% of Canada’s exports are shipped to the U.S. And the plunge in Q2 investment suggests the worst of the oil patch investment cuts are behind us. While no further stimulus is currently necessary, the Bank of Canada will maintain a very dovish tone in Wednesday’s announcement as they retain scope to take further action if the economic data take a dive.

2015-09-09_1337.png

Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report.

Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE!

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.

Date : 10th September 2015.

CURRENCY MOVERS OF 10th September 2015.

Chart_15-09-10_11-36-02.png

EURUSD, Daily

EURUSD moved further into the pivotal support yesterday as I expected. The 4h lower Bollinger Bands where able to support price and sent the pair rallying higher. There were good sized rallies in all the euro pairs which suggest that institutional money was flowing into EUR, but there seems to be no news event that could explain the rally. Euro pairs run into resistance levels and have been reacting lower over the last few hours. In EURUSD this is reflected in the pair once again trading lower from 1.1214 area. Even though there is a slight upward bias I expect low volatility to remain as the pair is bound by nearby support and resistance levels. The downside is limited by 1.1018 – 1.1093 and the upside by 1.1208 – 1.1332 candle. S&R levels beyond these are 1.1018 and 1.1334. Intraday price finding support at an area near 4h 50 period SMA. This same level used resist moves higher over the last few days.

A big NZD dive was the main action in pre-Europe trade in Asia after the RBNZ cut its growth outlook for the New Zealand economy and called for more currency weakness. This followed its expected decision to cut the official cash rate to 2.75% from 3.0%. NZDUSD dove just over 2% in making a three-day low at 0.6256. AUDNZD rallied strongly, with the RBNZ’s guidance contrasting a strong employment report out of Australia, which saw employment rise by 17.4k, above the 5.0k median forecast.

The data saw AUDUSD rebound to the 0.7020 area from a low at 0.6946. Elsewhere, USDJPY rebounded smartly from a test of 120.00, which was seen as Japanese stock markets corrected some of yesterday’s outsized gains. Yen losses were sparked by remarks from Japanese politician Yamamoto, who called the BoJ to expand QQE at its upcoming Oct 30 meeting. His remarks came as Japanese data showed PPI remaining in deep deflationary territory, and machine orders showing another contractionary quarter in capital expenditure. USDJPY spiked to a peak of 121.35 before settling to the 120.65-70 area. EURUSD, meanwhile, re-established itself above 1.1200.

UK house prices are surging, with the August RICS house price balance rising to a 15-month high of 53 from 44 in the previous month, while the August Halifax price index jumped by a large 2.9% m/m to bring the y/y measure up to +9.0% from July’s 7.9% rate. RICS doubled its forecast for price rises to 6% from 3%, reporting that properties for sale are at a three-year low. The demand-supply imbalance, coupled with robust economic momentum and record employment records, along with historically low mortgage rates and a government scheme to subsidize house purchases, are underpinning the market.

Bank of Canada Holds Rates Steady as Economy Underpinned The BoC left the 0.50% policy rate unchanged, as economic growth and inflation have been consistent with their outlook. Most tellingly, the dynamics of Canada’s GDP growth projected in July remain intact, with economic activity underpinned by household spending and a firm recovery in exports. But downside risks remain, notably in the form of uncertainty related to China and emerging markets. The Bank has moved back to the sidelines, and we expect the current ultra-accommodative rate setting to remain in place through 2016.

2015-09-10_1049.png

Reserve Bank of New Zealand cut rates for the third time in three months. The current rate is 2.75%, down 0.25% from the previous 3% rate. This sent NZD down by as much as 2.0% against AUD at the time of writing. According to the RBNZ the economy is adjusting to the sharp decline in export prices, and the consequent fall in the exchange rate. The bank also commented on global environment: Global economic growth remains moderate, but the outlook has been revised down due mainly to weaker activity in the developing economies. Concerns about softer growth, particularly in China and East Asia, have led to elevated volatility in financial markets and renewed falls in commodity prices. The US economy continues to expand. Financial markets remain uncertain as to the timing and impact of an expected tightening in US monetary policy.

AUDNZD has rallied strongly and the pair is approaching the upper Bollinger Bands and a pivotal resistance in the daily time frame. EURNZD rallied to a similar resistance in a 4h chart and has turned lower. GBPNZD chart is almost an identical copy of EURNZD while NZDUSD trades near support.

2015-09-10_1137.png

Main Macro Events Today

• China’s CPI improved to a 2.0% y/y pace in August from the 1.6% y/y pace in July and 1.4% clip in June. The pick-up to the fastest CPI growth rate in a year during August would appear modestly encouraging given the government’s efforts to boost growth (which should presumably eventually lift prices). But a lack of supply for pork drove prices of that key meat product higher, lifting total CPI and undercutting a demand driven explanation for the CPI jump in August. Meanwhile, August PPI remained weak at a -5.9% y/y clip after the -5.5% y/y rate in July. That’s the worst pace of annual decline in six year, reflecting the plunging fortunes of China’s factor sector.

• Bank of England meeting: BoE MPC’s September meeting, which is now replete with the instant release of the minutes, will be the main event for sterling markets this week. With the August PMI surveys signalling the weakest growth for over two years, and signs that retail sales are slowing, along with concerns about global market volatility, we expect the minutes to reveal a more dovish tone than was the case at the early August meeting. The MPC should leave the repo rate at 0.5% — where its been since March 2009, and where its likely to remain until Q2 next year — and the QE total at GBP 375 bln. The vote is likely to be 8-1 in favour of holding the repo rate unchanged, with last month’s sole dissenter McCafferty, likely to persist with his vote for a 25 bp hike.

• U.S. Initial Jobless Claims Preview: Initial claims data for the week of September 5th are out on Thursday and should show a drop back to 267k (median 275k) after a bounce to 282k in the week of August 29th. Despite the slightly lower August payroll headline of 173k, claims have continued along a tight path. We expect September claims to have 275k, matching the August average but exceeding July 272k average.

2015-09-10_1116.png

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 11th September 2015.

CURRENCY MOVERS OF 11th September 2015.

EUR.png

EURUSD, Daily

EURUSD, Daily Yesterday’s slight upward bias accelerated a bit during the New York session but the pair has not been move beyond the 1.1208 – 1.1332 area which I suggested will limit the upside. Currently EURUSD is trading near a pivotal resistance at 1.1320 and has reacted lower from just below the resistance level. After edging higher for a few days the pair is now taking a breather and moving sideways. Significant daily support and resistance levels are: 1.1214 and 1.1334. Intraday support and resistance levels are at 1.1244 and 1.1320. ECB’s Coere: Growth too weak to boost jobs. The Executive board member said ECB bond purchases will continue as long as necessary, as growth remains too weak to create sufficient jobs. In the text of a speech published on the ECB website, Coeure said France still has some way to go on growth and that he sees “room for manoeuvre” on Greece once trust is restored. Italian refinancing costs fall. Italy sold EUR 4 bln of 2022 bonds with a coupon of 1.45% at an average yield of 1.37%, down from 1.60% at the previous auction on July 13. It also sold EUR 1.5 bln of 2046 bonds with a coupon of 3.25% at an average yield of 2.96%, down from 3.24% in July. Finally EUR 2.25 bln of 2018 bonds with a coupon of 0.25% were sold at an average yield of 0.24%. The BoE left policy unchanged as widely expected and the minutes, released at the same time, showed an 8-1 majority in favour of steady policy, with McCafferty continuing his dissent in favour of a rate hike. However, while Sterling and yields spiked in the wake of the initial announcement, indicating lingering hopes for a more dovish statement and a reversal to a unanimous vote, yields quickly headed south again, as the statement indicated that the tightening bias is being eroded by rising concerns about the global growth outlook. So while the tightening bias remains intact for now, the BoE, is effectively taking a wait and see stance. Expectations of a dovish BoE statement were based on mixed confidence data and rising concerns about the global growth outlook. The BoE’s minutes also noted the dip in the Markit/CIPS composite PMI for August to the lowest level since May 2013. However, while bank staff lowered their estimate of Q3 GDP growth to 0.6% from 0.7%, the minutes noted that “the composite expectations index from the Markit/CIPS surveys had been steady, retail sales indicators had remained solid and consumer confidence had risen a little in August from already high levels”. In addition “the RICS survey had suggested a supportive balance of demand versus supply, and mortgage approvals in July had been a little stronger than expected”. US reports revealed a disappointing round of July wholesale trade figures yesterday that trimmed our Q2 GDP growth estimate back to an unrevised 3.7%, though we still assume 3.0% GDP growth in Q3. The August trade price report revealed huge export price declines, with big drops for both the commodity and core export and import aggregates that were reminiscent of the plunge back in January in the face of a dollar pop, oil price declines, and a weak global economy. As such, we see little potential for improvement in the monthly trade deficits despite lower oil prices given weak export valuations. We did see a welcome 6k initial claims drop to a lean 275k, though we expect a restrained 205k September nonfarm payroll rise as the inventory overhang and factory sector restraint continues to put pressure on the economy.

2015-09-11_1353.png

Money has been flowing out of CHF today. EURCHF clocked a new post-January high of 1.0988 in early European trade. A steadier tone in global stock markets this week has been conducive of CHF declines. Swiss policymakers have also been successful in undermining the Swiss currency’s traditional status as a safe haven, with deeply negative deposit rates having caused a steady drip feed of yield-searching Swiss fund outflows. USDCHF is trading near the upper daily Bollinger Bands after rallying for three weeks. EURCHF has broken out of a sideways move and is currently challenging the 50 week SMA. AUDCHF is in a down trend in daily and is currently struggling with a resistance at 0.6930. CHFJPY is likewise in a daily downtrend and has reacted lower today after a two day contra trend rally.

2015-09-11_1431.png

Main Macro Events Today

• German August HICP inflation was confirmed at 0.1% y/y, in line with expectations and the preliminary reading. National CPI was confirmed at 0.2% y/y and the breakdown, which was released for the first time, confirmed that lower energy prices are the main reason behind the low headline rates. Prices for light heating oil dropped 6.2% m/m and -27.6% y/y and petrol prices were down 4.2% m/m and 9.5% y/y, with CPI excluding household energy and petrol actually standing at 1.1% y/y in August, up from 1.0% y/y in July. This is still firmly below the ECB’s 2% limit for price stability, but with German labour costs rising markedly despite relatively muted productivity growth, underlying trends are picking up, despite the fresh drop in HICP.

• US Michigan Consumer Sentiment: The first release on Michigan Sentiment is out on Friday and is expected to decline to 91.5 (median 94.0) from 91.9 in August. The already released September IBD/TIPP poll declined to 46.9 from 48.1 in July. There is heightened downside risk to the release from recent market volatility.

• US PPI: August PPI is out Friday and should reveal a 0.1% (median -0.1%) decline for the headline with the core index up 0.1% (median 0.1%). This follows respective July figures of 0.2% for the headline and 0.3% for the core. After some rebound in May and June oil prices resumed their decline in July and August which could weigh on the release.

2015-09-11_1425.png

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 14th September 2015.

GOLD TRADING NEAR SUPPORT AREA AFTER THREE DOWN WEEKS.

GC-Daily.png

Gold, Daily

Gold still in downtrend as confirmed by downward price channel and yet another lower high in the weekly picture. This was once again formed at levels that used to support price and at 38.2% Fibonacci level identified in the previous report. Price rallied to the level in response to a strong move lower in US stock market. Since then price of gold has moved down for three weeks and is now trading close to the top of the two weeks’ sideways range (1104) from the end of June and the lower 1.5 sd Bollinger Band. Over the last two days price has been moving sideways at this 1103 – 1104 support, a level that resisted price advances at the end of July. Price is also trading at the lower daily Bollinger Bands while Stochastics are oversold. Daily support levels are at 1080 and 1103 while resistance levels are at 1117 and 1147.30.

Chart_15-09-14_14-11-11.png

Gold, 240

In 4h picture Gold is also trending lower. This is indicated by price moving inside a downward price channel and the 50 period SMA. Current price action is taking place at the lower end of the channel and at the lower Bollinger Bands. Stochastics has created a higher low after price formed a hammer candle on Friday. There is support in 1093 – 1098 bracket while the nearest resistance area is between 1109 – 1115.

Chart_15-09-14_14-06-13.png

Gold, 15 min

In 15 min chart the price of gold has moved below a rising trendline after reversing at 1108 – 1108.80 resistance. Price action suggests that the current range between 1106 and 1108 should be resolved to the downside and towards a 50% Fibonacci level at 1103 while the next support level is at 1101.

• US Michigan Consumer Sentiment: The first release on Michigan Sentiment is out on Friday and is expected to decline to 91.5 (median 94.0) from 91.9 in August. The already released September IBD/TIPP poll declined to 46.9 from 48.1 in July. There is heightened downside risk to the release from recent market volatility.

Conclusion

Trading should be range bound this week before the Fed announcement on Thursday. However, once the market participants know what the result is it support and resistance levels further away will become relevant. After moving lower for three weeks it is not likely that price will have another significant down move this week. Fed’s not expected to hike rates (only 28% probability for September rate hike) and price is trading relatively near levels that attracted buyers the last time. However, gold is in a long term downward trend. It is therefore likely that the demand at support levels will be eventually absorbed. Regression channel analysis in 4h chart indicates that gold is trading at the lower end of its likely range. This is confirmed by the Bollinger bands. Shorts should therefore factor this into their trading and be more careful as price might not have similar swings to the down side that I had last week. As the price is in downtrend and there are resistance levels fairly close by I expect gold will move further into the support area between 1080 and 1103 but the moves can be short lived and lead to a rally. If it takes place I expect the move run into a resistance at 1134 – 1153 area.

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 15th September 2015.

CURRENCY MOVERS OF 15th September 2015.

Chart_15-09-15_11-05-47.png

EURUSD, Daily

EURUSD moved sideways yesterday creating a spinning top candle. This took place at 1.1334 resistance that we identified in the previous TCM report. A spinning top that takes place at a resistance after a move higher is a reversal sign. Stochastics Oscillator is oversold and rolling over which supports the view that price reversal is likely to take place. Intraday support is currently at 1.1282, while there is resistance at 1.1328. The next support level is at 1.1214. The Fed meeting being so near price movements are likely to remain small.

FOMC Forecast revisions at this week’s FOMC meeting should reveal sharp reversals of the June FOMC revisions for GDP and the jobless rate, as growth prospects should be boosted despite global market volatility. We expect all the 2015 GDP forecasts to be raised by 0.4%-0.6% after June’s downward bumps of 0.4%-0.8%, while all but the lowest jobless rate estimates are lowered 0.1% across the 2015-2017 period after 0.1%-0.2% June boosts in the lower end estimates. There is a possibility that policymakers low-balled their estimates in June to facilitate upward revisions at this month’s meeting that would help to justify rate lift-off. The 2015-16 PCE chain price estimates were also low-balled in June, but the ensuing oil price plunge eliminated the need for revisions. The core PCE chain price figures have tracked official projections, though forecast ranges may be narrowed. We expect big downward bumps in the high-end Fed funds estimates, as officials “tap down” rate expectations in keeping with a “one and done” 2015 rate strategy. See our policy outlook page for a table of our assumptions for the Fed’s revised forecasts.

French August CPI came in below expectations at a six-month low of 0% y/y, ebbing from the +0.2% rate seen in July. The median forecast had been for a rise of 0.2%. The EU harmonized figure slipped to +0.1% y/y from 0.2% in the previous month, where it had been expected to remain. The data follows a string of disappointing data out of France, while recent energy price declines will be further feeding disinflationary conditions.

RBA minutes (Sep 1 meeting) indicated policy remains neutral, but officials warned that international economic developments (mainly from China) had raised financial market volatility and global risks. On the other hand, the depreciation of AUD due to declining commodity prices, was expected to support growth. The minutes also indicated officials weren’t sure on which assets Chan had been sold as authorities worked to devalue the yuan, or which assets were being purchased by those looking to take capital out of the country. AUD-USD is slightly lower non the dovish minutes.

Canada ran a surprise C$1.9 bln surplus in the previous fiscal year, according to the Finance Department’s Annual Finance Report for FY2014-15 that ended on March 31. The Harper government had projected a C$2.0 bln deficit in the April budget outlook. The unexpected surplus was due to better than expected revenue growth. The challenge, of course, is for the current fiscal year, for which the government projected a C$1.4 bln surplus.

2015-09-15_1103.png

The fact that the BoJ maintained a steady, but accommodative policy stance has moved funds into JPY as it is up against all the major currencies after the Asian session. Many still see additional stimulus from the BoJ next quarter.

USDJPY is rolling over after creating a pin bar and spinning top in the daily time frame last week. AUDJPY is reacting lower from a resistance at 86.05. EURJPY is also falling after pivoting just below 137. At the time of writing price is trading below yesterday’s low.

SNR.png

Main Macro Events Today

• BoJ rates and policy decision: the bankmaintained a steady, but very accommodative policy stance, as expected. The vote was 8-1. The Bank indicated it would continue to increase the monetary base by about JPY 80 tln annually via asset purchases. The statement noted that the “economy has continued to recover moderately, although exports and production are affected by the slowdown in emerging economies.” Many still see additional stimulus from the BoJ next quarter.

• US Retail Sales Preview: August retail sales are out Tuesday and we expect the headline to grow 0.4% (median 0.2%) for the month with the ex-autos aggregate up 0.4% (median 0.2%) as well. This follows respective July figures of 0.6% and 0.4% in July. Vehicle sales jumped for the month with a rise to 17.7 mln in August from 17.5 mln in July and, as discussed in today’s editorial, chain store sales also edged up for the month.

• U.S. Industrial Production Preview: August industrial production data is out Tuesday and the headline is expected to fall 0.2% (median -0.2%) following a 0.6% bounce in July. The capacity utilization rate should fall to 77.7% (median 77.8%) from 78.0% in July. The August employment report revealed weak hours worked data for mining and manufacturing that will weigh on the release, on top of which we expect a decline in utility production for the month.

2015-09-15_1103_001.png

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 16th September 2015.

CURRENCY MOVERS OF 16th September 2015.

Chart_15-09-16_11-44-15.png

EURUSD, Daily

EURUSD closed yesterday below the previous day’s spinning top candle low. This is further confirmation for the bearish view that I had yesterday. Yesterday’s analysis pointed to a reversal and provided a resistance to trade against. This 1.1328 resistance worked to a pip yesterday as price moved to 1.13287 after the publication of this report yesterday. The pair has rallied to the spinning candle low in the Asian session today and reversed lower once again. EURUSD has since penetrated 4h lower Bollinger Bands (20) and trades near 50 period SMA in 4h chart. The next resistance area is at 1.1285 to 1.1300, roughly coinciding with 23.6% Fibonacci retracement at 1.1305 while next significant daily support is found at 1.1190 with 61.8% Fib level nearby at 1.1196. The 50% retracement level coincides with a daily high at 1.1230 (from 8th September) and could cause a small rally.

Several ECB officials have been voicing their opinions on the bank’s QE program. ECB’s Constancio: ECB has scope to expand QE if necessary. The ECB’s Vice President highlighted that compared to the programs introduced by Fed, BoE and BoJ, the ECB’s asset purchase program has been relatively small.ECB’s Nowotny: QE extension or expansion possible. The Austrian central bank head said in an interview with Die Presse, that the asset purchase program has had a number of positive effects while highlighting that the low inflation in the Eurozone is a big problem for the ECB. Interestingly, he didn’t blame lower oil prices, but the dramatic deterioration in the economic outlook for emerging markets, adding that the main problem isn’t so much China as countries like Brazil. ECB’s Weidmann warns cheap money doesn’t help to boost sustainable growth and production potential, but in an interview with Germany’s Sueddeutsche Zeitung, he warned again that it increasingly harbours risks also to financial stability. Weidmann was recently appointed as new head of the BIS, which in its latest annual report also warned that markets remain too reliant on central bank stimulus, in contrast to the IMF, which is calling for ever more easing measures to support world growth.

The lack of major negative surprises in today’s data keeps the FOMC on course to announce a 25 bp rate hike on Thursday. Though it remains a close call. While the Fed is mostly meeting its mandate on economic growth (we’re forecasting a 3.0% GDP growth rate for the second half of 2015) and the labor market, the renewed downturn in commodities may reduce confidence that the 2% inflation goal will be met anytime soon. And various exogenous factors, including worries over slowing growth abroad and increased volatility in the financial markets, add to the dovish, no hike case. Unfortunately the FOMC has conditioned the markets to react bearishly to hints of normalization such that there will never be a “good time” to commence liftoff. There’s been no need for the Fed to maintain its emergency policy stance all these years, and a 25 bp hike should have only limited impact, especially if policymakers continue to indicate a gradual path for the future.

US reports yesterday revealed a largely expected round of August retail sales and July business inventory figures that had no net impact on our GDP estimates of 3.0% growth in Q3 after an unrevised 3.7% figure in Q2, with real consumption growth of 3.0% in Q3 after a Q2 growth boost to 3.4% from 3.1% that was previously signaled by strong QSS data. We also saw a weak round of September Empire State figures that extended August weakness, alongside a big 0.4% August industrial production drop after a 0.9% (was 0.6%) July surge that reflected an even bigger than expected vehicle sector gyration around retooling. Today’s figures did little to alter the sales and inventory outlook, beyond reinforcing the view that factories face big headwinds from an inventory overhang and a vehicle sector drop-back after a July pop, and a petro-sector recession that’s been aggravated by further oil price declines.

2015-09-16_1109.png

The US Fed has started its two day meeting in which they are to decide whether to lift the interest rates from the zero level. There has been movement in AUD today. Currency has moved most against USD, EUR and GBP. AUDUSD is rallying and trying to move above 50% Fibonacci level and towards a 0.7219 resistance that coincides with a 61.8% retracement level and proximity of downward weekly regression channel. EURAUD is rolling over inside a topping formation and towards a support level at 1.5566. The pair is now trading below 1.5770 resistance. GBPAUD has reached a support provided by both 50 day SMA and the lower Bollinger Bands (20). This level is also a weekly high from six weeks ago. With this in mind and Stochastics oversold the current reversal signs in intraday resolutions should lead to a rally higher.

2015-09-16_1147.png

Main Macro Events Today

• EMU final Aug HICP: The headline reading was expected to be confirmed at 0.2% y/y, but there is some risk of a downward revision, after yesterday’s weaker than expected French number. Lower energy prices are driving the annual rate down again, but the gap between the headline number and the core measure is widening. Even the latter remains far below the ECB’s 2% limit for price stability, but with the labour market starting to improve and economic heavyweight Germany posting sizeable increases in unit labour costs, underlying trends are picking up, even if energy price developments could push the headline rate back into negative territory in coming months.

• Canada Manufacturing: should rise 1.0% in July after the 1.2% gain in June. A 2.2% gain in exports provides a compelling reason to forecast another solid gain in manufacturing shipments during July. An as-expected gain in shipments would provide further support for the Q3 rebound scenario, supportive of no change in BoC policy for an extended period.

• US CPI: August CPI data should reveal a flat (median unchanged) headline with a 0.2% core increase. This would leave overall CPI up 0.2% y/y with the core index up 1.8% y/y. The drop in gasoline prices has weighed on price measures and we expect this to be the case in the CPI release where gasoline prices look poised to decline by 2% for the month. This effect was already visible in the month’s PPI data where we saw a flat headline for August as well.

2015-09-16_1142.png

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 17th September 2015.

CURRENCY MOVERS OF 17th September 2015.

Chart_15-09-17_10-59-13.png

EURUSD, Daily

After moving lower EURUSD as expected but then rallied quite strongly and turned a down day into a close above the opening price for the day. The rally started after the pair reversed below my 1.1230 support at 1.1214 and was intensified by the US CPI figures. The headline CPI came in at disappointing -0.1% while the core CPI remained unchanged at 0.1%. A negative print on August CPI gave the Fed a last minute reminder that it continues to be well shy of its inflation mandate. This gave the markets a reason to sell the USD almost across the board. Only USDJPY bucked the trend yesterday. EURUSD then ran into a resistance slightly above my 1.1305 resistance and is trading sideways underneath it at the time of writing. This created a pin bar and a higher low in the daily chart. A pin bar that creates a higher low is a positive indication in this context and this has encouraged traders to push the price higher today. There however is a pivotal resistance ahead (1.1328 – 1.1373) while support levels are at 1.1230 and 1.1196. This being the Fed day I don’t expect the markets to push through the resistance before the rates announcement.

EURCHF is fractionally lower following the SNB announcement of unchanged policy and renewed pledge to intervene in the currency market if needed to counter franc appreciation. The central bank continues to class the franc as being “significantly overvalued.” EUR-CHF dipped to the 1.0950 from pre-announcement levels around 1.0975, which is little more than a 0.2% decline, and the cross remains well within the range it posted yesterday. Swiss policymakers have had success in undermining the franc’s status as a safe haven, with deeply negative deposit rates having caused a steady drip feed of yield-searching Swiss fund outflows. The franc is trading nearly 6.5 % lower than levels seen a couple of months ago, and the cross last week traded above 1.1000 for the first time since the SNB abandoned its former cap on the franc in January.

ECB and SNB – Waiting for the Fed: ECB council members continued to sound dovish as the focus shifts to tomorrow’s FOMC announcement. If the Fed delays the start of the tightening cycle it will make additional easing moves by the ECB more likely and that in turn would likely see the SNB follow suit with additional steps. Officials may be eager to stress that China’s exchange rate adjustment was not the start of a global currency war, but at least in Europe, it would well start to look like one.

FOMC Forecast revisions to be released at Thursday’s FOMC meeting should reveal sharp reversals of the June FOMC revisions for GDP and the jobless rate, as growth prospects should be boosted despite global market volatility. We expect all the 2015 GDP forecasts to be raised by 0.4%-0.6% after June’s downward bumps of 0.4%-0.8%, while all but the lowest jobless rate estimates are lowered 0.1% across the 2015-2017 period after 0.1%-0.2% June boosts in the lower end estimates. We believe policymakers low-balled their estimates in June to facilitate upward revisions at this month’s meeting that would help to justify rate lift-off. The 2015-16 PCE chain price estimates were also low-balled in June, though we do expect 0.2%-0.3% downward bumps for 2015. The core PCE chain price figures have tracked official projections, though forecast ranges may be narrowed. We expect big downward bumps in the high-end Fed funds estimates, as officials “tap down” rate expectations in keeping with a “one and done” 2015 rate strategy.

2015-09-17_1010.png

New Zealand’s Q2 GDP grew at a 0.4% pace (q/q) following the 0.2% clip in Q1. The increase in Q1 undershot projections and leaves another quarter of disappointing growth for New Zealand’s economy. On an annual basis, GDP slowed to a 2.4% y/y pace from the revised 2.7% y/y clip in Q1 (was +2.6%). Growth has slowed considerably this year from the 3.5% y/y rate seen in Q4 of 2014. The slowing in annual growth is supportive of further rate cuts from the RBNZ.

The result has been that money has flowed away from the NZD benefitting especially USD, EUR and GBP. NZDUSD is down slightly at the levels it opened yesterday morning while EURNZD is trying to move up after forming a doji candle yesterday. GBPNZD is trading near a pivot high candle after yesterday’s rally and the advance today in the Asian session. All in all price action seems to be muted as markets wait for the Fed.

2015-09-17_1057.png

Main Macro Events Today

• The SNB Interest Rate Decision.: The Swiss central bank did the expected and maintained the central Libor target and the deposit rate at -0.75%. The SNB sees growth picking up gradually in the second half and headline inflation in positive territory at the beginning of 2017. The statement highlighted that the CHF remains overvalued and confirmed the central bank’s commitment to intervene in forex markets if necessary. The statement highlighted growing uncertainty about developments in China and risks to the world growth outlook. The SNB will be watching Fed and ECB decisions carefully in coming months and if the ECB widens its QE program, the SNB could well react or pre-empt a move by cutting the deposit rate again even before the next policy review in December.

• US Housing Starts: August housing starts are out today and we expect the headline to decline 3.0% to a 1,170k (median 1,160k) pace from 1,206k in July. The July headline marked a high back to October of ’07. Also in the report is the latest data on permits, which we exepct to climb to 1,135k from 1,130k in July and completions, which are seen at 1,010k from 987k. Early data on housing for August remained firm with the NAHB at 61.

• US Initial Jobless Claims: Claims data for the week of September 12th are published today and should reveal a 282k (median 275k) headline from 275k last week. Claims are continuing to strike a firm path and we expect the September average to be 275k which would be steady from August, though above the 272k July average. This continued strength supports our September forecast for a 205k non-farm payrolls.

• The Fed Interest Rate Decision.

2015-09-17_1028.png

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex

Date : 18th September 2015.

CURRENCY MOVERS OF 18th September 2015.

EUR240.png

EURUSD, Daily

In yesterday’s report I drew attention to EURUSD creating a pin bar and a higher low. This indicated further bullishness for euro but the upside was capped by the 1.1328 – 1.1378 resistance area. As expected, the pair didn’t move beyond the resistance before the Fed announcement yesterday. The decision to hold the rates at zero propelled EURUSD to the session high of 1.1441. Today, Stochastics are in the overbought region while the price is approaching the upper daily Bollinger Bands. In the weekly picture, price is inside the upper Bollinger Bands and right below the 50 week SMA. This is a reason for some caution for the euro bulls. The price is approaching the 1.1463 – 1.1520 resistance area after we’ve seen some follow through for yesterday’s upward momentum. The nearest support levels are 1.1374 and 1.1388.

FOMC left rates unchanged, citing concerns over global weakness. The key sentence in the statement was: “Recent global economic and financial developments may restrain economic activity somewhat and are likely to put further downward pressure on inflation in the near term.” The Fed again noted weakness in net exports, and the fact that market based inflation measures had moved lower. It’s also “monitoring developments abroad,” while it sees balanced risks on the economy and labor market. The FOMC again indicated it will be appropriate to raise rates when it sees further improvement in the labor market and is “reasonably confident” that inflation will move back to the 2% target over the medium term. Lacker dissented in favor of a 25 bp hike. The Fed did reiterate that the economy is expanding at a moderate rate, housing has improved further, and the underutilization of labor resources has diminished.

Yellen said U.S. monetary policy is directed toward achieving the dual mandates set out by Congress. Of course policy changes have many cross currents, and capital flow implications. The exchange rate is one of a number of channels through which policy works. There are effects on the exchange rate, and yes the Fed needs to take those into account. The risk of a government shutdown played NO role in the Fed’s decision not to hike rates. Yellen said there is rationale for a rate hike now, but noted that financial conditions have tightened to some extent, and the situation abroad has become “more uncertain of late.” She added though, that the she doesn’t want to overplay the impact of overseas developments. She also reiterated that the path of policy is more important than the timing of the first move, and that most members still see a hike this year. The decision won’t depend on any particular data. In answering the first question, she said we can’t expect uncertainty to be fully resolved, but the Fed wanted to take a little more time to assess conditions. She has no recipe for what the FOMC wants to see before tightening. On the possibility for October, all meetings are “live.” So October remains a possibility, and the Fed would call a press conference if needed.

Fed funds futures are on the move higher after the FOMC remained on hold. Though prices in the futures market are still gyrating, the market is currently pricing in a 25 bp hike for December with a little better than 50-50 probability. We suspect improved market stability and less angst over global developments will open the door for an October hike, though soft inflation should make December a better bet.

2015-09-18_1122.png

As the Fed decided not to raise rates the dollar weakness drove other currencies higher. This was especially the case with the commodity price sensitive AUD. Commodities are priced in USD and therefore a lower yielding dollar makes some commodities like Gold more attractive and in general cheaper to buy. This has supported the AUD today.

AUDUSD is trading at a resistance created by 50 day SMA, the 61.8% Fibonacci level, and a historical resistance area between 0.7216 and 0.7276. The pair formed a daily shooting star candle yesterday and is at the time of the writing challenging the high of the candle. GBPAUD is back to the pin bar it created day before yesterday. This is a level where a historical support coincide with 50 day SMA and the lower Bollinger Bands.

2015-09-18_1213.png

Main Macro Events Today

• Canadian CPI: We expect CPI to expand at a 1.0% y/y pace in August, a slowdown from the 1.3% y/y clip in July. CPI is seen falling 0.2% on a month comparable basis in August after the 0.1% gain in July. Gas prices fell 3.5% in August compared to July, which is expected to drive the decline in month comparable CPI. The BoC’s core CPI index is seen rising 0.2% in August, similar to the action seen in past months of August. Annual core CPI growth is expected to expand at a 2.0% y/y rate in August following the 2.4% clip in July. The expected core CPI figure would, of course, leave the measure at the BoC’s 2.0% midpoint. However, Governor Poloz has maintained that run-up is transitory and not reflective of a tightening in supply conditions.

• The US CB Leading Indicator: The August index of leading economic indicators (LEI) is expected to grow 0.2%. We expect yields to help support the headline. The six-month annual gain hit 8.8% in July last year, the highest reading since 10.7% seen in April of 2010. The Conference Board’s preferred recession threshold for the LEI is a six-month annualized reading below -3.5% and a six-month diffusion average below 50%. We wouldn’t read much into this index, as the historical swings “line up” with back data due to repeated “best fit” revisions of the index figures rather than a real-time correlation. The Conference Board revises the index in January, given the massive divergence since 2009 between index levels and reported GDP growth.

2015-09-18_1120.png

Janne Muta

Chief Market Analyst

HotForex