Small Consolidation Breakout Method

Thankyou Roels Major, i'd test some sweetsposts for eur/usd (tf 15min) and i was looking for value 38p (i think is too much) Boxlength 22. It gives me 70 boxes (5.0 per week), seems that only 5 trades lose and wins make about 3400 pip. I don't know if i was doing mess but looks good. What do you think about it?

Yap even my setting 34p still to high.....Try to adjust Boxlength a little bit to 24..... the number of the breakouts still good but i just got 16 Box in my chart with just 4.0 per week..... I mean the number of the box is to high (70), and the question is why? Try adjust the setting lookbackdays to 30.....We will see from just 30 days history only from now and it will give the extra benefit to lower your CPU load.....

Note : Please post your screenshot for our better analysis...and do you use the latest version of indie ? and what the he** yeah!! 3400 pips is huge numbers!! but you don't specify how many cumulative month.... I wonder if we will be a millionaire by just three year.... :-)

Edited by Roels Major
"You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!".

ops :) Ok i was testing with 100 days loopback, i think it was the reason about 3400 pip :D. With 30 lookbackdays and old configuration it gives me 21 boxes (5.3 per week) 13 sell 5 buy with 1480 total pip. 38p is too much i think. I will test again.

Edit: with 30 days lookback and default settings (autoboxrange set true) it gives 18 boxes (4.5 per week) and 1400 pip. looks good!

Edited by mangiare

Hi Roels Major,

I can't get your sweetspots value (maybe different broker can give different values). Can you tell me if I'm wrong something about your method to calculate sweetspots please. On TF 15 min charts (for all pairs) set boxlength 24, boxtimeframe 0, boxrange 0, autoboxerange true, DailyATRperiod 100, DailyATRfactor 0.2 on 30 days loopback period. Now i make an avarage of pip wrote under all boxes and then set: boxlength 22, boxtimeframe 0 autoboxrange false and BoxRange insert the value obtained from the average (i leave ATR period and factor to 100 and 0.2, i think if autoboxerange set to false don't create problems with system). Now if boxes per week is between 3 to 5 all is ok. Is it right what i wrote? Thankyou in advance for your response.

Edit: My indi. version is 1.13.

Edit 2: my sweetspots calculated with method post first: EUR/USD 30 GBP/USD 25 USD/CAD 16 USD/CHF 22

Edited by mangiare

That's allright, except for this :

......On TF 15 min charts (for all pairs) set boxlength 24,......

...... then set: boxlength 22,.....

When you set boxlenght to 24, after calculating your sweetspots, don't change it anymore....just leave it cause we wait 24 bars X 15 Minutes.....just set the autoboxrange to false.....Then maybe you can change TP_is_above parameter to 0.0, after that you can put SL (in pips) with any pips you like as a stop loss eg:50 (like my setting).....

All done! Now you can see the powerfull charts.....

The nice breakout on USD/CHF today about 86 pips....could we use the trailing method for exit? I think no, I have try all numbers for trailing but until now I do not find any good formula to maximize the profit except we hold the price, but it is very risky way. We are looking for highly percent chance to just tiny range breakout say for 30 to -50 pips. With better money management and good capital, we can generate a consistent profitable system for a long time.....not just for a short moment.....

Anyway, If any one could have a time for calculating winning percentage for just this month (September 2011) in 4 pair (EU, GU, UCHF, and UCAD) I will be grateful.....

And please if u have more time to analyse the better way to minimize the loss.....I thought fix stop loss is a key....$500 is my limit for loss for a trade.....any comment?

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/RoelsMajor/NewPicture-62.jpg

New Update Indicator but by Frank T :

Here the Quotes

I follow this thread from start. This method is very interesting. In the last weeks I played around with this method and the different trading approaches after the breakout. So I wrote a litte EA for myself to test. The results were very interesting. The Fibonacci Levels without Close Option on every Level brings around 75.700 Euro for April, 1st to August, 31 with a start at 10.000 Euro in EURUSD. There were many Trades with only Breakeven and only one Trade hit the TP at 11.090. Fibonacci Levels with Close Option on every Level ended in a total lost. Problem with this trading style is you must open so many Lots for every single Fibolevel where you want to close a Lot. If the Trade doesn't go in your direction you take a big lost at your SL Point. The next Trade must be a winner with minimum trailing SL in Pips from the last lost. Here we have the same problem like the Fibonacci Levels without Close Option. To many trades go only to Breakeven. The overall win/lost ratio is negative. With martingale it is possible to work around this "problem". I tested such a version, which brings around 300.000 Euro, but it brings the account sometimes near extinction with drawdowns around 80 to 90 percent.

The best results I got from fixed TP/SL 40/20 with 136.000 Euro. The result could be better, because I use a static dynamic Setting for the indicator with 22/30/0.16 for the whole time. In August the Box Range go over 30 Pips, so the EA produces many loss trades. At top in mid August the proft was 193.000 Euro. On the other side May only with two Boxes but both winners.

So never go over 30 Pips in Box Range as forexhard wrote earlier in this thread. The win/loss ratio trops rapidly even with my ratio of 2:1.

Another think I found out by my testing. The indicator has some failures. When AutoBoxRange is 'true', the Box and Box values changes. After Midnight the Box get a new ATR value, which is different to the time of box forming. And when the Period for the Minimum Box Range don't increase anymore but the new Bar is inside the Box the High and Low Pointer points to the wrong bar. This results in a change of the Box values. I fixed the indicator V1.13 from 2011/09/20 in the attachment.

[/Quote]

http://www.multiupload.com/UPSIC7B0KN

Edited by Roels Major
Still using sweetspots on post #42

CONGESTION PHASES

Stocks & Commodities V. 11:2 (70-75): Congestion Phase Analysis With Candlesticks by Holliston Hill Hurd

Line congestion areas: A congestion area forms when neither the bulls nor the bears are in control of the market (Figure 1), when the forces of supply and demand keep prices between support and resistance points of a particular trading range. As supply and demand apply pressure to a range from both the top and the bottom, together they form a line congestion area. The more time that is spent in a line congestion area, the more dramatic the breakout and run that ensues will be.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/RoelsMajor/NewPicture-63.jpg

Stair step patterns: Even when a market is in a long-term trend, there are pauses in the move from time to time, with congestion areas formed at each pause. This is the stair step pattern as shown in Figure 2. A series of L-formations, or stair steps, can be found in a run.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/RoelsMajor/NewPicture1-25.jpg

BREAKOUTS

After the market has spent time in the congestion area, the price will break out of the trading range. The trend will resume or a new trend emerge if the congestion area is in a reversal. Using a breakout to trade can be a frustrating situation because the market may return within the congestion area when you make a trade. Characteristics of a genuine breakout will be:

• Increased volume during the breakout

• A close outside the congestion area

• Two or three bars of followthrough

• No immediate move back into the congestion area.

VOLATILE ROTATING DAY

In this formation, the market is rotating (trading) in a wide range. This type of day usually occurs after a wide-range trending day. Traders who miss the move the previous day will often make the mistake of buying when the market moves to new highs. At that point, the market will turn and make new lows, stopping the trader out. To avoid losses on this type of day, look for the following in trading a volatile rotating day: The day before was a trending day and the first hour of the next day has had a wide range and this is not the second day of a breakout move. A breakout usually has two to three followthrough bars; sell when the market gets in the top 25% of the first hour's range and buy when the market gets in the bottom 25% of the first hour's range (Figure 12). After a trending day, the chances of a volatile rotating day occurring are very good—about 80%.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/RoelsMajor/NewPicture2-8.jpg

CONCLUSION

Markets trend and then enter into congestion areas. Following the market trend is one way to make money, but if you can trade during congestion periods as well, you will be closer to meeting your goals. Candlestick charts offer a sound method of identifying minor turning points within congestion areas and are certainly worthwhile for traders to study further in detail.

Edited by Roels Major

Practically we win the table on quick shoot 35 pips.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/RoelsMajor/1stNewCZsOctoberwin.jpg

Theory :

Congestion---------->Trending Day-------->Volatile Day

Practical :

Trending Day-------->Congestion--------->Volatile Day

Nah!!

Edited by Roels Major

New CZ's both on EU and GU....I put them both for simulation trade.....

EU for 44 pips and GU for 41 pips.....

Check this out.....

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/RoelsMajor/CZsGU5October.jpg

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/RoelsMajor/CZsEU5October.jpg

We Expect after Reversal and Volatile Day and Congestion---------------------> [short Term] Run

Edited by Roels Major

Rapid loss 2 trades in a row in EU : 44 pips + 43 pips last two days.....But GU made positive results to balance....

So until now there were 4 trades :

1. USD/CHF : 35 pips Win

2. GBP/USD : 41 pips Win

3. EUR/USD : 44 pips Loss

4. EUR/USD : 43 pips Loss

Trend is up now for both GU and EU.....maybe for short term? Anyway the reversal show it and it could be a longer time....

Edited by Roels Major