DragonPips

Re: DRAGONPIPS

For last week yes 18-22 trading window would have been better, but you need to look at forex profitability over the long term. Hindsight is a wonderful and frustrating thing!!

I am backtesting currently with a fixed spread of 4.5 (quite high) and if you backtest from April to now with 18-22 vs 18-23 (riskier yes) you make more profit and suffer less drawdown overall with the wider 18-23 window

I trade high risk 50% and disable time protection levels but others may prefer to be safer and reduce the risk settings to around 25% and enable time protection levels.

Next week the market may change again and start to trend strongly during these hours and DP will lose for everyone regardless of the settings we use.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a whole bunch of testing, I can confirm that turning off time protection (as Iceman does) makes DP far more profitable.

I'm playing around with setting TP to breakeven at certain hours, reducing TP and closing trades at certain hours to see how this changes the numbers.

I also suggest that when backtesting you use fixed lotsizes (and not MM) as the MM can heavily skew the numbers by magnifying an early win or loss. What we're looking for is consistency over time.

Also, Iceman - I notice you're also on GoMarkets. It's interesting to compare the last couple of days live results versus the backtest with the current 4.5 spread. The live results look much better.

nicholasmead,

Can you explain more on your EurUsd trades? Cos until now, I am still cannot find the best timing for this pair.

I took lots of lost in it & eat very badly into my Echf profits. Also this EGbp pair also.

Can I know what is your settings for EU?

Hmmm everyone is proposing the best timing is 18hrs to 22hrs. I think I will not be greedy & follow that reason because 23hrs trades stay to long & most likely loser trades as well. So most of the times I need to close it manually.

My backtest on EU from 08.05 to 09.17. Last week don't count due Bank holiday on Japan and US Bank Rate decision news. On EU you must don't trade on holidays and big news for stay safe. Remember that scalping strategies is about win rate due at poor Risk/Reward.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6569/eurusdtrades31tp61923gm.gif

Here my settings file.

Maybe someone can do a backtest from April.

Don't study roots while others pick up the fruits.

Hey Quiksilver,

Just been trying a few backtests and I found an issue with the MM. Not sure what is going on exactly, but on type 3, once it hit 9.78 lots (I put max to 100) it stopped being able to enter orders. The tester journal is full of the error: Invalid trade volume.

I'm wondering if there's something funny in the MM code once lotsize is > 10 ?

Edit: Scratch that. GoMarkets has a 10 lot limit :)

I'm trying to look back over the last several months when we have had losing trades to see what we could have done to prevent some of these losses

Looking for patterns, is it a certain day of the week? can we use this to better hone in on the trading times used, look at options like if the pair has moved more than 50 pips in the previous 10 bars nefore 19 GMT then disable trading for the day etc etc

Should there be some kind of volatility filter used to prevent sudden spikes?

I'll update my findings - If I see anything of course, could all just be random

I tweaked DragonPips Ultimate a bit so that the AutoGMT function actually works based on the broker's server and not from your local timezone (which didn't work for me at all -- I'd end up with an Offset of -7 :o ).

I ripped the AutoGMT code straight from Megadroid's.

http://www.4shared.com/file/135937106/af040b4/DPU.html

I tweaked DragonPips Ultimate a bit so that the AutoGMT function actually works based on the broker's server and not from your local timezone (which didn't work for me at all -- I'd end up with an Offset of -7 :o ).

http://[email protected]/file/135937106/af040b4/DPU.html

Would it be better for me to stick to Quiksilver's Dragon Ultimate version if AutoGMT function works OK, please?

http://[email protected]/file/135937106/af040b4/DPU.html

"Rio" is this based on "Quicksilvers" Utlimate version?

thanks

"Rio" is this based on "Quicksilvers" Utlimate version?

thanks

Yep... the only changes are the adding of extra routines - shamelessly ripped from Megadroid - to automatically adjust the GMT settings if "manual GMT" is set to false. Nothing else is different in the trading at all.

nicholasmead,

Can you explain more on your EurUsd trades? Cos until now, I am still cannot find the best timing for this pair.

I took lots of lost in it & eat very badly into my Echf profits. Also this EGbp pair also.

Can I know what is your settings for EU?

Hmmm everyone is proposing the best timing is 18hrs to 22hrs. I think I will not be greedy & follow that reason because 23hrs trades stay to long & most likely loser trades as well. So most of the times I need to close it manually.

I use risk 20 and max trades 3, trade times are 19 through 22 on EU and 18 through 22 on EC. Also as I said I do not let EU trade on Sundays, newsdays or holidays.

cheers

N

Today, It is good for trading again.

Till now all positive trades. Will post results later.

But, for my forexcom UK live, there is bugs. It opened without SL & TP & yet it closed at profits.

7794800 2009.09.28 18:03 buy 0.10 eurchf 1.50869 0.00000 0.00000 2009.09.28 18:12 1.50912 0.00 0.00 0.00 4.16

QuickSilver, can help to look into it? Forexcom UK is not a ECN/STP broker. So I already select False.

Thanks.

Once all the trades Closed, I will post my results. (Still have 2 open trades for Jade Live, 3 open trades for Forexcom UK live)

Today, It is good for trading again.

Till now all positive trades. Will post results later.

But, for my forexcom UK live, there is bugs. It opened without SL & TP & yet it closed at profits.

7794800 2009.09.28 18:03 buy 0.10 eurchf 1.50869 0.00000 0.00000 2009.09.28 18:12 1.50912 0.00 0.00 0.00 4.16

QuickSilver, can help to look into it? Forexcom UK is not a ECN/STP broker. So I already select False.

Thanks.

Try this version.

http://slil.ru/28025847

Don't study roots while others pick up the fruits.

Using Jade Live (EurChf & EurGbp) version Ultimate

Start time 18

End Time 22

Max trades = 2

Risk = EChf 50, EG 10

MaxTrade per bar = 1

GMT = +1

Max Spread = 3

Take Profit = 5

Stop Loss = 25

Time Protection = False

Using Forex com UK (EurChf & EurGbp) version Ultimate

Start time 18

End Time 22

Max trades = 2

Risk = EChf 50, EG 10

MaxTrade per bar = 1

GMT = 0

Max Spread = 4

Take Profit = 5

Stop Loss = 25

Time Protection = False

Going to use this setting for 1 full month starting today.