Using Technical Indicators...

Price charts help traders identify trade-able market trends - while technical indicators help them judge a trend's strength and sustainability.

If an indicator suggests a reversal, confirm the shift before you act. That might mean waiting for another period to confirm the same indicator's signal, or checking out another indicator. Patience will help you read the signals accurately and respond accordingly.

Types of Moving Averages

One of the most widely used indicators, moving averages help traders verify existing trends, identify emerging trends, and view overextended trends about to reverse. As the name suggests, these are lines overlaid on a chart that "average out" short-term price fluctuations, so you can see the long-term price trend.

A simple moving average weighs each price point over the specified period equally. The trader defines whether the high, low, or close is used, and these price points are added together and averaged, forming a line.

A weighted moving average gives more emphasis to the latest data. It smoothes out a price curve, while making the average more responsive to recent price changes.

An exponential moving average weighs more recent price data in a different way. An exponential moving average multiplies a percentage of the most recent price by the previous period's average price.

Finding the best moving averages and period for your pair

It can take a while to find the best combination of moving average and period length for your currency pair. The right combo will make the trend you're looking for clearly visible, as it develops. Finding that optimal fit is called curve fitting.

Usually traders start by comparing a few timeframes for their moving averages over a historical chart. Then you can compare how well and how early each timeframe signaled changes in the price data as they developed, then adjust accordingly.

When you've found a moving average that works well for your currency pair, you can consider this as a line of support for long positions or resistance for short positions. If prices cross this line, that often signals a currency is reversing course. Here's an example:

Longer-term moving averages define a trend, but shorter-term MAs can signal its shift faster. That's why many traders watch moving averages with different timeframes at once. If a short-term MA crosses your longer-term MA, it can signal your trend is ending - and time to pare back your position.

Stochastics

Stochastic studies, or oscillators, help monitor a trend's sustainability and signal reversals in prices. Stochastics come in two types, %K and %D, measured on a scale from 0 to 100. %K is the "fast", more sensitive indicator, while %D is "slow" and takes more time to turn.

Stochastic studies aren't useful in choppy, sideways markets. In these conditions %K and %D lines might cross too frequently to signal anything.

Relative Strength Index (RSI)

Like stochastics, RSI measures momentum of price movements on a scale of 0 to 100.

Always confirm RSI signals with other indicators. RSI can remain at lofty or sunken levels for a long time, without prices reversing course. All that means is that a market is quite strong or weak - and likely to stay so for a while.

Adjust your RSI to the right timeframe for you. A short-term RSI will be very sensitive and give out many signals, not all of them sustainable; a longer-term RSI will be less choppy. Try to match your RSI timeframe to your own trading style: short-term for day traders, longer-term for position traders.

Divergences between prices and RSI may suggest a trend reversal. Of course, make sure you confirm your signals before acting.

Bollinger Bands

Bollinger Bands are volatility curves used to identify extreme highs or lows in price. Bollinger Bands establish "bands" around a currency's moving average, using a set number of standard deviations around the moving average. Creator Jon Bollinger recommends the following:

Touching a high or low band doesn't necessarily mean an immediate trend reversal. Bollinger Bands adjust dynamically as volatility changes, so touching the band just means prices are extremely volatile. Use Bollinger Bands with other indicators to determine the trend's strength.

MACD - Moving Average Convergence Divergence

Developed by Gerald Appel, MACD (pronounced "Mac-Dee") plots the difference between 26-day and 12-day exponential MAs.

A 9-day MA serves as a trigger line: when MACD crosses below the trigger, it's a bearish signal; when MACD crosses above the trigger, it's a bullish signal.

If MACD turns positive and makes higher lows while prices are still tanking, this could be a strong buy signal. Conversely, if MACD makes lower highs while prices are making new highs, this could be a strong bearish divergence and a sell signal.

Fibonacci Retracements

Fibonacci retracement levels are a sequence of numbers discovered by the noted mathematician Leonardo da Pisa in the 12th century. These numbers describe cycles found throughout nature; technical analysts use them to find pullbacks in the currency market.

After a significant price move, up or down, prices often "retrace" most or all of the original move. As prices retrace, support and resistance levels often occur at or near the Fibonacci Retracement levels. For currencies, that means retracements usually happen at 23.6%, 38.2%, 50% or 61.8% of the previous move.

by Technical Analysis .

---- My Ambition is beyond My Knowledge ----

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even when there are all these elaborate choices of indicators available today, it doesn't mean you should use them all. In fact, using too many indicators will only confuse you and most probably lead to bad trading decisions.So, instead of making forex even more complicated than it already is, focus on combining the right set of indicators that will actually show useful information about the market and confirm your ideas about trades.

stock market guide

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree with all of you. There is no indicator that can predict the future. One of the best things for me are trendlines. I base everything off of them and the indicators that I do use need to support what the trend is. It also helps me get in or out at a better price.

When we see the charts we can come to know that a particular currency is undervalued or over valued. We can use the daily trends to get the tardes and make some Profits :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing, sir. Use technical indicators helps me to make decisions when i'm trading. I usually use market news analytic from FBS.

We can using both technical and fundamental. We can easy learning for technical, we can read and practice in our demo account. But for fundamental, we have to get from the best resource to get update market news. You are doing good for using a dailly market news from a broker you are using now, I am doing the same with you and really helped.

• 4 months later...

Indicators are tools used by stock chart readers to help them analyze the future potential of stocks and other securities. Most indicators are developed using formulas that calculate two basic data points--price and volume. Most chart software today offers a large number of indicators that can be plotted on a stock's price chart or below the price on the chart. This allows analysts to make comparisons between the stock price and various indicators.

http://www.forex-metal.com/affiliate/47225/1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A technical
indicator is a graphic representation of price action. By technical
indicators we can filter out some of
the noise of the price movement on the chart and get an idea of the bigger
picture. The 3 important technical indicator used by trader as- 1) Moving
Average 2) Bollinger Bands 3)Average Directional Index (ADX).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i am ysing Zaas system in my trading. this not for scalping system but i think this is good for the trader who want make money in long term trading. in the first time i learn forex from Video Tutorial are provided by broker. Armada Markets also provide it to help beginner understand further more about forex trading.

The aim of technical analysis is to forecast price trends in future basing on the historical data along with the one of the volume. Technical analysts are sure that any fundamentals and even expectations have affection to exchange rates changing being the factors of the market. And I prefer using SR indicators

FreshForex - fresh view on money

• 3 weeks later...

We traders basically use technical indicators to make sure our Wining in live trading. Free indicators help us to analyze the market movements but my indicators does analysis for me. Holy Grail Golden Eagle is the best and most effective Strategy that I have been using to get profits in Forex. It does analysis, provides me Accurate Trading Signals and helps me to get profits. When market moves for a while, it also provides Re-Entry Signals.

A good trading strategy is enough for making regular profit. I always depend on my trading strategy ‘Holy Grail Golden Eagle’ to open my trade. My strategy always gives me accurate trading signal. Even in the high voltage news time it provide accurate signal. Now I can earn over 80% by my trading strategy. It also gives me re-entry signal. So, I can recover my missing chance. It is very easy to use.