What is the best trading platform for programming?

chrisbenjy

How long did it take you to learn MQL sufficiently?

I am still learning, but I am a lot more advanced than when I started.

Firstly, it took about 3 days to learn about the exclusive functions that are in MQL, such as how to call a custom indicator, etc. I did this using the help tab in MetaEditor toolbox. I already knew about the programming constructs and variables, etc from coding in JAVA.

Then I moved onto coding full EA's. I looked at open source examples on how to do this. My first EA took about a day to complete. It was only basic, but involved several custom indicators. I then modified the EA little by little to add more features like trading times, no trades on Mondays or Fridays, etc.

Then I created many EA's based on a couple of free strategies from other sites. As I progressed each one took less time to complete.

Recently I started making more advanced EA's with error handling. Now that I have discovered error handling I consider that I have learnt MQL sufficently, because I would now trust my EA's not to screw up on a live account with my own capital.

It is only recently that I started creating custom indicators. I still have a lot to learn about indicators, but I have made one or two simple ones that I find useful. I have started creating two advanced statistical indicators: One is a linear regression indicator, between two pairs that have the same base currency. The other is similar, it is a product moment correlation coefficient formula between two currencies. I don't think these would be beneficial to my trading, but they will increase my programming skills of indicators.

Chris

Hi chris,

Thanks for the detailed reply. MQL will be the first language I learn to program so I was looking for a rough estimate. It took you a few days to get the basics down because you had JAVA experience but I am not so lucky. I am currently reading a tutorial and then will start modding indi's and EA's like you have already done.