BBW Scalper

Re: BBW Scalper

Merlin ... thanks for all the info on this EA. I just obtained a copy a couple days ago and have put it up on demo, changing some of the default settings with new recommendations from the developer. I'm curious if you shut down trading at all late Thursday or early Friday since your approach is to close all trades in drawdown on Friday and start fresh the next week (assuming Sunday open). Also, are you still using the changed setting of 11/exponential in the provided indicator?

Thanks again on sharing your findings. I'll be hammering away for awhile testing this one as well - unfortunately it backtests slowly due to the external indicators.

The 11/exp is now built in... that mod was only required for an earlier version.

As for shutting down weekly, it's not really my approach, and not what I actually do. That was a suggest to someone who was erroneously claiming account meltdown which I see as impossible. In fact, note Larry's account after a week at

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/LEHayes2/bbw-scalper-44-vondale-150/11733

. It finished up the week out of the market (OOTM) all by itself! That was with just 6 Pairs and it was one rather profitable week for the EA......

That doesn't happen often with a basket of currencies but I've seen it happen more frequently in the current market and have no idea why. Just nice when it happens :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 11/exp is now built in... that mod was only required for an earlier version.

As for shutting down weekly, it's not really my approach, and not what I actually do. That was a suggest to someone who was erroneously claiming account meltdown which I see as impossible. In fact, note Larry's account after a week at

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/LEHayes2/bbw-scalper-44-vondale-150/11733

. It finished up the week out of the market (OOTM) all by itself! That was with just 6 Pairs and it was one rather profitable week for the EA......

That doesn't happen often with a basket of currencies but I've seen it happen more frequently in the current market and have no idea why. Just nice when it happens :)

I should have thought about this a little more, it doesn't matter how you configure the Stochastics indicator on the screen. The EA has 14,3,3 hard-coded for it (if the "educated" version of the code posted here is correct). Plus, it's still using the Simple and not the Exponential MA.

double l_istochastic_48 = iStochastic(Symbol(), 0, 14, 3, 3, MODE_SMA, 0, MODE_SIGNAL, 0);

double l_istochastic_56 = iStochastic(Symbol(), 0, 14, 3, 3, MODE_SMA, 0, MODE_MAIN, 0);

With no S/L, the EA has the potential to go into serious drawdown if multiple currencies start running away. Several of the demo accounts on the developers myfxbook show some serious open drawdown, although equity is still positive. One week of trading with no runaway is just a good week, the potential to move several hundred pips in the wrong direction with this thing running 24/5 is there and needs to be dealt with. Either with a S/L or shutting a big loser down at end of week, "hoping" for it to come back not really an effective startegy IMO. Looks like it will have enough winners to be profitable each week, though.

Look forward to testing this, will post findings.

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/dlewisfl

I should have thought about this a little more, it doesn't matter how you configure the Stochastics indicator on the screen. The EA has 14,3,3 hard-coded for it (if the "educated" version of the code posted here is correct). Plus, it's still using the Simple and not the Exponential MA.

double l_istochastic_48 = iStochastic(Symbol(), 0, 14, 3, 3, MODE_SMA, 0, MODE_SIGNAL, 0);

double l_istochastic_56 = iStochastic(Symbol(), 0, 14, 3, 3, MODE_SMA, 0, MODE_MAIN, 0);

With no S/L, the EA has the potential to go into serious drawdown if multiple currencies start running away. Several of the demo accounts on the developers myfxbook show some serious open drawdown, although equity is still positive. One week of trading with no runaway is just a good week, the potential to move several hundred pips in the wrong direction with this thing running 24/5 is there and needs to be dealt with. Either with a S/L or shutting a big loser down at end of week, "hoping" for it to come back not really an effective startegy IMO. Looks like it will have enough winners to be profitable each week, though.

Look forward to testing this, will post findings.

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/dlewisfl

Yep, my error. I talked to the author and he's preparing a new version with the Stoch variables externalized as they may need to be adjusted depending on the Currency Pair(s) chosen.

As for the 'runaway account', after 5-6 months of testing different incantations of this EA, I've yet to have a single trade hit margin call, and all accounts were profitable up to and including the release version 4.4

The basket seems to balance itself nicely. Of course I'd like to see 50% profit per day (who wouldn't?) but for nice steady gains in the neighborhood of a few percent per day, this does seem to be performing reliably.

Different strokes :)

For what this is selling for, it should be an incredible EA.

Sure would be nice if someone could educate this.

I'm not one to have a problem paying for programs, but I'm really tired of paying for garbage

One of the main reasons I like this forum, I get to test things before I pay for them.

I know there is a free demo, but they are never quite the same.

Also on the MYFXbooks webpage it shows some losses, not very many pips at all

Less than 10 pips, I'd like to know what is closing these trades if there is no SL?

For what this is selling for, it should be an incredible EA.

Sure would be nice if someone could educate this.

I'm not one to have a problem paying for programs, but I'm really tired of paying for garbage

One of the main reasons I like this forum, I get to test things before I pay for them.

I know there is a free demo, but they are never quite the same.

Less than 10 pips, I'd like to know what is closing these trades if there is no SL?

Hi Pipaholic,

In this case, the demo *is* the same. There are two mechanisms which work to close trades based on the variables you set. The main one is the Trailing Stop. The second is 'Cash Collection' which is better explained in the docs.

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/mbbbwM1/mb-bbw-23/14061

one of my demo accounts I've let run on 23 pairs for 2 weeks has 982 consecutive wins and 4595 pips. The downside to this account is the DD which finally leveled at 40%. However, old trades close daily and new trades open and it's somehow stabilized, due to the money management, and never seems to get worse.

Part of the DD problem on this run is that I'm using pairs I'd not used on a live account. Also, we're toying and experimenting with different parameters to drastically cut down on the number of 'bad' trades (those which sit in DD for a while), so you could consider this account to be 'worst case'. Running a backtest on GU, for example showed good profits with 0 as the MaxSpread but, by changing that to 2.8, nearly doubled the profits. I'll be testing that, and other parameters this week.

As time allows, I'll keep posting new developments. For those who register for the demo, do feel free to contact and ask questions of Larry, the developer. He'd quite dedicated to customer support, product improvements and making this thing optimized. It's always good to 'test' the customer support anyway and he gets PAID for doing it :)

G'luck,

Merlin

Well Merlin, personally I have never ever seen an EA that performed as well live as it did on demo.

Not a single one.

And I'd love to hear from someone else that is using this EA, no offence to you Merlin but you seem kind of tight with the developers.

You're right in one aspect. Live trading is different from forward testing. No question about that. Whereas Demo accounts are set to 'instant fill' by the MT Server, the real market will not be so kind. Then you've got latency to contend with. And potential broker shenanigans.

Tight with the developers? You make that sound like a bad thing ;) As a beta tester, having input into improvements and enhancements, plus working with the latest versions day to day is a positive in my book. AND I've been able to use that 'relationship' to be able to offer you and the other I/I members nearly half off the retail price. I don't see that as a bad thing at all :)

I'd like to hear from more users also on this one.

BTW, I should mention that there are two versions, Standard and Pro, and I only test the Pro version. Another beta tester works just with the Standard.

Two settings help close trades in profit: StartTrailingAfterPips and TrailingStopPips, which are currently recommended to be set at 4 and 2. This setting does not work on brokers that require SL and/or TP to be 5 pips away from price. They are working fine on my demos with iamfx and jadefx.

For losers, they can be manually closed. There is another parameter called EnableTrimmer which will close the largest losing trade for a pair based on a # of candles interval setting (i.e. check every X candles and close biggest drawdown trade for pair this is enabled on). Currently, with MaxTrades recommended setting of 1, this parameter is recommended to be set to false. However, if you have MaxTrades > 1 and enable the trimmer, it will close the largest trade in drawdown every X candles. That could be what is closing those trades. This may be a safer way to run the EA to ensure no huge drawdown trades, but the winning trade % will decrease, possibly significantly depending on the # of candles setting. This needs to be tested further, I haven't got around to it yet.

Tight with the developers? You make that sound like a bad thing ;) As a beta tester, having input into improvements and enhancements, plus working with the latest versions day to day is a positive in my book. AND I've been able to use that 'relationship' to be able to offer you and the other I/I members nearly half off the retail price. I don't see that as a bad thing at all :)

Merlin,

from all I have read so far, this EA is one of the pearls in the mud.

The reduced price for I/I members is great. I would buy it immediately but don´t have the funds (lost the money to a scam-EA-seller who refuses to refund me).

As soon as I have enough money, this EA is my first choice.

Thanks for informing us about it . I appreciate your input very much.

Best regards :)

Hi birt,

May I think you're not very entusiastic with this EA?

Anyway thank you very much for sharing - kudos 4U!

Regards,

LV

Since the demo was removed, here you go:

http://sharebee.com/75e61ab1

Pass: birt

It's 4.4.0 educated, but only the pro version. It's more like a proof of concept for a small library that I wrote for runtime patching with MQL. Keep in mind that it STILL connects to the developer servers, but it will "think" it authenticates ok. Making it skip connecting is beside the point, if you want to do that, look into editing your hosts file and running a small webserver on your machine.

Anyway, if you want your account to feature a brand new shiny floating drawdown, I suggest buying it.

Anyway, if you want your account to feature a brand new shiny floating drawdown, I suggest buying it.

There are ways to configure this EA so you don't see the big drawdown. You can set a S/L or use one (or more) of the methods for controlling drawdown. It remains to be seen whether or not these methods turn this EA from profitable to non-profitable. Backtesting is very slow given the multiple calls to iCustom, and you can't backtest multiple pairs at once (which this EA would require given how it allocates lot sizes and makes decisions on opening new trades).

somebody stated earlier that this was a basket trader, I dont see how you consider this a basket trader, in my testing so far it closes out the profitable trades and the losers are still there. so this is not a basket trader. that being said, if the backtest shows it blowing accounts, it absolutely is possible to blow one. Accually it would probly blow it faster than a normal backtest, as the winning trades close out, and are replaced by another loser, so youl have a bunch of negative trades eventually that will blow it for sure.

somebody stated earlier that this was a basket trader, I dont see how you consider this a basket trader, in my testing so far it closes out the profitable trades and the losers are still there. so this is not a basket trader. that being said, if the backtest shows it blowing accounts, it absolutely is possible to blow one. Accually it would probly blow it faster than a normal backtest, as the winning trades close out, and are replaced by another loser, so youl have a bunch of negative trades eventually that will blow it for sure.

dandawman: Are you using the CashCollection or Trimmer options? According to the documentation, those look to be the only things that will close losers without a S/L setting.

Yes i have cash collection enabled, but it will only close out the trades on the same pair that are losing, not the whole basket of currencies all together, so a backtest would accually be very relavent, cause it doesnt apear that a robot on one chart it can close trades on the other currencies like the windsorsparks.com can. so like i said, eventually all the pairs will end up with massive drawdowns open, as it closes out the profitable and replaces them with losers, making the problem even worse than on just one pair.

Yes i have cash collection enabled, but it will only close out the trades on the same pair that are losing, not the whole basket of currencies all together, so a backtest would accually be very relavent, cause it doesnt apear that a robot on one chart it can close trades on the other currencies like the windsorsparks.com can. so like i said, eventually all the pairs will end up with massive drawdowns open, as it closes out the profitable and replaces them with losers, making the problem even worse than on just one pair.

You can use the Trimmer to close out the losers. It will close the trade with highest loss every X candles so you won't be in massive drawdown. I'm starting to backtest this option to see if there's a TP and TS combo combined with a good # of candles for the Trimmer setting. Unfortunately, backtesting is a dog and will take a long time for just one pair.