How much of TRADING is really about the indicators?...

jacquesnz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: How much of TRADING is really about the indicators?...

Price action is the most important guide when trading. All indicators are based on price of course so they can only follow. They are just a visual representation of what price is doing. That is why they seem to work very well when there is plenty of nice price action but they fail miserably in periods of low volume, slow movement , or consolidation. Plus the more a trader relies on indicators, the longer he searches for the 'magic' indicator or holy grail and that includes me of course :) .

Of course i still use indicators in my trading but try to remember to always look at price to determine trends and areas of Support and Resistance.

I agree with any indicator you can wining the trade as long you understanf what market told and giving the signal within indicator such as candlestick and trendline and then you can entry any way , it depend your analysis to the market

It depends on your understanding of the market. Having indicator or indicators, is one of the many of to analyse, to understand the market. For a newbie like me, I used guppy, macd, rsi, and I felt that it gives me some confident in accessing the market. Though they are lagging, someone said that the sweetest part of a sugar cane is in the middle portion, not the tip or the root part. And I am not looking for a killing, 10-15 pips per trade will suffice.

I have seen simulated trades by chris lori, he uses mainly candlesticks and fibo levels. I must admit that I can't really follow his method. I guess maybe I am not at that level yet.

So, using indicators or not, it all depends on your level of confidence or skills in trading. As long as it brings money home, why not. At the end of the day, you only answer to yourself in your trading, profit or lose.

Sometimes / most of the time indicators such as Stochs, CCI, MACD, were History data, does present the future long or short, but still we can use indicators to prepare for our long or short in certain time frames, right. But following blindly only the indicators is dangerous, without understanding the fundamental and technical aspect of the currency we are trading. Simple example trading EU is much convinience (still risky) compared to GJ (most volatile and risky). A wrong move in EU can damage your margin, but a wrong in GJ definitely drained ur margin. Does, some traders says its our MM, our initial deposits with brokers, macthing technics of our TF with higher TF, and so many more, still can create a losser out of a winner..right. Anyway, I have tried small, scalping is my preference at the moment, so far I am draining my margin to 30% down, if have energy stay late at nite to recover lost, sometime BEP after hours, wow...forex is not easy, but possible to win if we have proper guidelines and good mentor in this futile industries....its my experience and opinions at this moment

For me trading is completely about money management .. agreed indicators help in getting better entries and exits but they are never perfect .. while having a sound money management helps a lot in a long run.

For me trading is completely about money management .. agreed indicators help in getting better entries and exits but they are never perfect .. while having a sound money management helps a lot in a long run.

I agree with you jinhar,I trade since 2006 and only now in 2009 I am begining to be profitable month by month when I use proper money and risk management to all my trades....that's a lesson I learned loosing around 80% on my initial trading capital!

I agree with you jinhar,I trade since 2006 and only now in 2009 I am begining to be profitable month by month when I use proper money and risk management to all my trades....that's a lesson I learned loosing around 80% on my initial trading capital!

Please share your MM rules with the forum.

I have gone through the ups and downs of trading learning for the past 8 years. Lost tons of money and went through tons of courses.

I have finally learnt how to trade !!!

First you must understand your personality. What type of trader you are.

Then which style of trading matches your personality... some like indicators, others just price action etc. Find what fits your personality.

Money Management is key.

Clear trading system with clear rules to remove emotional trading.

Clear entry and exit signals is a must.

and Patients to wait for correct entry as per your rules.

Forex is not a get quick rick scheme but an exceptional business if you get it right.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no Holy Grail.Use of Indicators help in trying to locate Divergences .Also since Indicators are based on Momentum,they determine price action before the Price.e.g a momentum high in indicator will be followed by price crossing the previous swing high in many cases.But master once indicator first.Read it's character with Price.