Some tips for new users of Advanced GET EOD version

shawnh

Hello guys, I've been playing around with Advanced GET 9.1 EOD Dashboard version, trying to get it working with intraday data. After some rough patches and trial and error, I think I have things working fairly smoothly. I'd like to share what I've learned with others who may be in the same boat.

I use the technique of getting real-time data from an MT4 demo... this method is explained in another thread. Since AG EOD can't accommodate the "time" field of a bar, the MT4 intraday data has to be converted to "pseudo" daily data via an MT4 indicator placed on the intraday charts. Works well, but I lamented the fact that once I viewed the data charted in AG, I could no longer see the correct date/time of a bar. So I did some modifcations of the original MT4 indicator to put the proper date/time stamp of each bar in the VOLUME field instead. So if you don't need the VOLUME in any of your analysis, this is for you.

Here is the modified indicator for MT4:

https://anonfile.com/f040Bfbebe/AgetDataDatestamp.rar

When placed on a MT4 chart, it will output an ascii file to your MT4 installation folder in the "Files" subfolder. Now, when you open up a chart in AG using this data (and select the "Volume" study), you see this:

https://anonfile.com/gf40Bcb9bf/ShowDatestamp.jpg

Way down there at the lower left will be the proper DateTime stamp of the bar your crosshair is placed over... instead of the Volume figure. I like to grab the upper border of the Volume study pane and drag it down so just the DateTime value shows. It seems to work pretty good, but alas, it suffers the same fate as all studies placed on AG charts once you close down AG and restart it - they disappear or are disabled. You'll notice that the Volume study is still there at the bottom, but scrolling the crosshairs won't change the value. Quick fix: just right click over the word VOLUME. click "Properties", then "Apply" and OK. It will come back to life. Easier than deleting the whole study and putting it back on.

At first I had AG on my Vista desktop and I struggled to try and get it working half-decently. Constant freeze-ups, very slow page loading, etc. I tried it instead on my older and slower XP laptop and it seems to work *much* better. And here is probably the most important thing I discovered to make closing/re-opening AG work quick and smooth - the power of the PAGE|NEW PAGE button! When you're in AG and working on a page of charts (I have 6 charts open in the one page I have - 3 AAPL and 3 SPY) and ready to exit and re-open, follow these exact steps (works for me!):

- Save your page using PAGE|SAVE PAGE (... or Save as)

- click PAGE|NEW PAGE to clear out the screen (*always* do this just before closing up AG!)

- Close up AG, when it asks "Save the current page", click NO. (you've already saved it)

To re-open AG, I have a small batch file already prepared that suppresses the loading of the eSignal module. This seems to save a lot of headaches and freeze-ups. Put the following in your batch file (ie. a .BAT file, and just place it on your desktop):

CD \

CD Program Files\Advanced GET EOD

start AdvancedGETEOD.exe /d

That's it. Launch that... AG will fire right up quickly to an empty screen, thanks to you doing the NEW PAGE thing prior to your last exiting. Go to PAGE|LOAD PAGE and load up your page and those charts should come right up pretty quickly.

Another small error I got en route to figuring stuff out was the one below:

https://anonfile.com/e749B7b5b3/AGerror.jpg

To solve that, I would open up my page of charts, then do a SAVE AS, saving them under a new page name. Then deleting the old page. That took care of it.

So I find now, finally, this works pretty good. Not perfect, but it's quite usable. Still remaining is the annoying thing of why the studies disappear off the charts everytime you shut down/restart. The drawn objects however - like the MOB and TJ's Ellipse remain.

Hope this helped someone...

Shawn

Well, right now I'm still getting my feet wet in Advanced Get and just following things... like the Type 1 and type 2 trades explained in the manuals. Nothing with real money yet.

grreat thanx again any particular setup u like? do u make ur own or follow the standard?