What is the latest stable version of TS working with broker feed and ASCII import?

sepa

I trade with Ninjatrader but have a bunch of interesting Tradestation strategies I want to use and figured it would be easier just to run them on Tradestation than rewrite them for Ninja.

Maybe not. I've searched through this forum and all of its conflicting information, broken download links, etc and still can't get any version of patched TS working properly. I've got 8.6 and 8.7 with Owndata 2.7 both working on windows 64-bit with an interactive brokers data feed, but ASCII import doesn't work and comes up with messages like Data request failed: incorrect symbol and Client Access Layer not working and then it hangs. I did manage to get an ASCII import to work via Owndata one time, but not working now. So can anyone help me with:

1) What is the best stable version of Tradestation to use with Windows 64-bit? Preferably with a feed for futures via owndata or some other program.

2) What is the easiest way to get ASCII import working (native import not working for me in 8.6 or 8.7). This is more important for me than a broker feed because I'm looking mostly to test historical data, which I already have from Ninjatrader.

Sepa

I think you are going to hurt yourself.

If you spent all this time to develop you trading instead of finding ways to run TS i believe you would have gained more.

TS will also put a huge load on your computer resources and memory.

You can get free forex data from TS if you open an account with them with a minimum of $2000 ( i dont remember the exact amount ) and then for cme its not much to add.

Another fact you have to take into consideration is that IB data is not true- they send burst of data every certain time which will screw your data if you use ticks.

So all together- why waste time...

I am in the same position, was working with TS for many years ( since they had the global piece- forgot its name ), but i believe that ninja is far better.

But again- this is only my humble opinion.

Traderbeauty-Jane

Thanks Traderbeauty. I have no intention of switching from Ninja to TS. TS is a dog of program compared to Ninja, especially these cracked versions. I just want to get it working enough to run some data analysis that could prove very useful for my trading strategies. IB data is more than adequate for my purposes. I only need to test one minute data, and I don't trade forex (that is a good way to hurt yourself, imho), only futures.

All I really want is a stable version of TS and some advice on how to import ASCII data easily, so I can run some strategies on it.

Thanks Traderbeauty. I have no intention of switching from Ninja to TS. TS is a dog of program compared to Ninja, especially these cracked versions. I just want to get it working enough to run some data analysis that could prove very useful for my trading strategies. IB data is more than adequate for my purposes. I only need to test one minute data, and I don't trade forex (that is a good way to hurt yourself, imho), only futures.

All I really want is a stable version of TS and some advice on how to import ASCII data easily, so I can run some strategies on it.

Hi sepa;

I´m not understand, explain to me, how TS is a dog??:-O...then Ninjatrader is a cat...:-/I used both software and TS is the best platform and complete. Originally TS is a Institutional platform, only is possible introduce data of others brokers working with Owndata, but Radarscreen and Optionstation not work with Owndata.

Owndata 2.7 work fine with TS 8.6 and 8.7.

Owndata is a software of TSSupport company, go to:

http://www.multicharts.com/multicharts/help/videos/

Look below of the list, ASCII data import and ASCII mapping videos.

Owndata is the same software that Quotemanager of Multicharts.

Many thanks FX SuperTrader. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my assessment of TS. I have used a number of trading platforms, but TS it is certainly not very intuitive to use, though I guess none are the first time you use them.

I would have thought data import would be a straightforward function in TS, but it's not. I'm using 8.6 under win7 64-bit (8.7 kept freezing and I don't want to use an xp emulator), and while I have worked out how to import ASCII files through Format > Lookup (not an easy process), whenever I try to run a strategy, it gets stuck on a "Waiting for data...", "Waiting for symbol attributes ..." loop.

If I import ASCII data via Owndata, strategies will work, but for some reason I can't get volume, only OHLC. But that's OK, I'm just running price strategies. For now.

But what a hassle. Thanks for the video links but, really, you shouldn't have to use third party software to do a simple function like data import.

I can see TS has some nice functions, and it seems like less of a memory hog than NT, but I won't be using it for trading, and its data interface is lousy. The big advantage of TS is that it has been around for years and there's a mountain of indicators and strategies written for it, and that's what I want to use it for - strategy testing and data analysis.

HI sepa;

First verify that OD 2.7 is enabled for send data to TS 8.6 or 8.7. For this go to Start (at left corner below) select Programs and next Owndata 2, here select "Switch"; now OD 2.7 is enabled for receive data. In Owndata go to the toolbar, above and select Symbol > Add symbol > Manually > Select data source ASCII mapping, and complete all windows, is easy. Next select your symbol for import ASCII data (right button/ Import data > ASCII).

In your .csv or .txt file of historical data is convenient write the first row of this mode:

"Date","Time","Open","High","Low","Close","Volume","OI"

If you do not have "OI" then do not write him, or delete OI column.

In OD 2.7, you can modify the name of the titles of this first row making click on the title of the column, and to change it.

Hi FX_SuperTrader,

Yeah, I tried all that, read all the data import instructions in TS, and I'm aware that volume is an indicator, but TS just will not import volume data. ASCII Data Import in Owndata correctly allocates the volume column, but if I open Data Window on a TS chart, volume shows as Up=0 Down=0.

The bogus way TS allocates volume appears to be the problem. If you import a data file directly into TS, it will divide volume evenly between Up and Down, which is rather pointless. If you import via Owndata, TS doesn't pick up volume at all.

And you wonder why I call this a dog of a program :)) The software is riddled with fleas (I mean bugs) and it will bite you if you try to use any other data feed except TS!

Thanks for your perseverance FX_SuperTrader. your efforts are much appreciated, but I've given up on this one. I've already tried varying the headers, but Owndata picks it out correctly anyway, and I really do think it's a bug in TS 8.6 (or the crack), and I just can't afford to waste anymore time on it. If I need volume data I can always assign it as Up (or Down) volume and use that.