Price Action Lab

timo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any luck so far?

I have THE DEMO ......The price for this fully functional program is $8,000 ....wow .........Now I do have access to Nava patterns which this program was made and its in dos version...no longer working and in someone else's possession, Im trying to get it now but I think with a little work it can be brought back to life with the right programmer...... I'll try to get it

This is a demo crippled version. Even if the number of runs or max continous hrs of 40 can be extended, the problem still would be the actual code or the strategies.

I ran on 2 securities, but no patterns can be found. Also, it runs for hrs even for a single security.

This is a demo crippled version. Even if the number of runs or max continous hrs of 40 can be extended, the problem still would be the actual code or the strategies.

I ran on 2 securities, but no patterns can be found. Also, it runs for hrs even for a single security.

Did your anti-virus get the nasty banking spyware? If not you are in trouble. I think this demo may have expired. I get all sorts of memory violations and my laptop is gone.

First of all this demo came directly from the site ...It was not put up here to run the program , it was put up here to be EDUCATED , it needs to be looked at by a programmer not a*@hole who does not know what he is doing , if you are not a programmer who can look into the program and see what can be done to 1.) stop the time clock 2.) enable the rest of the program so it works properly . DONT RUN IT ***** EDUCATE IT

IT RUNS ON MY COMPUTER JUST FINE.......................................

Just ignore Ellipsis.

I tried to look at the way the program runs. After about 8 hrs of continuous run, it found only 2 rules worthy and win percent of 53%. Anything above, it doesnt find any rules. This is for about 400 days of data.

Looking at the generated code, ofcourse not a full code, it generates some thing like

IF LOW OF * BARS AGO > CLOSE OF * BARS AGO

AND CLOSE OF * BARS AGO > HIGH OF * BARS AGO

AND HIGH OF * BARS AGO > LOW OF * BARS AGO

AND LOW OF * BARS AGO > LOW OF * BARS AGO

AND LOW OF * BARS AGO > HIGH OF * BARS AGO

AND HIGH OF * BARS AGO > HIGH OF * BARS AGO

THEN BUY NEXT BAR ON THE OPEN WITH

The secret lies in the *, the actual number of the day. If the program only uses OHLC data, then we dont even have to go the route of PAL.

There is a freeware program called 'Genetic Pattern Finder' which does a fanstastic job of the same and whats more its free. Look here at www.foretrade.com and from there go to downloads.

Edited by kesk
data

Just ignore Ellipsis.

There is a freeware program called 'Genetic Pattern Finder' which does a fanstastic job of the same and whats more its free. Look here at www.foretrade.com and from there go to downloads.

Why ignore me? maybe you are nto aware of the spyware placed on you machine. Someone else also complained but the post has been deleted.

Anyway thanks for the genetic pattern finder. This is an excel add-on it appears.

BTW isn't 400 days of data too little to get meaningful results with such programs?

P.S. I am serious I got a virus that redirected all my outgoing requests to some conspicuous websites.

Edited by ellipsis

on the same line is another software called 'StrategyQuant pro' from http://www.strategyquant.com/ . Looks similar to PAL except that the trial is given for 14 days without any restriction. THe issue is its geared towards forex, but it can be configured for stocks also.

The reporting is also good. Running it right now. Again, this requires hrs for analysis and finding the best strategies. It also gives the code in either mq4 or plain text. Checking it now.

On a side note, i tried to run a strategy generated by GPF in Neuroshell Trader with the genetic optimization. But for a period of 10 years, only 8 trades are done and 1 being a loss. Two positions were held for 2.5 years! Have to check the same in other platforms.

This strategy quant was named before genetic builder (http://www.geneticbuilder.com/) but changed name for some reason. I tried it before and all the systems were curve fitted andf failed almost immediately after used.

The fact is that genetic system bulding is problematic because it is by nature optimization. PAL claims not to use genetics on the other hand. To be honest I don't know too much about this process details.

Yes to the renaming.

Genetic optimization is rather an intelligent way of choosing the candidates. enough is written about it.

But what i saw in strategyquant is there is a out of sample option too. So you can choose a strategy which is performing well on in-sample and out of sample. Of course, what works for a period of time, need not work in the next month or year.

I have ran 3 sets of strategies ( price, rsi&cci, price & break) . Have to see the result in another platform how they perform.

Yes, good points bue also there is a point that data-snooping will be the cause of what you find with genetics. Out of sample is really in sample when testing many rules like in genetics. Beware about that. Only good test is actual test and it costs money htt***://liquidalpha.blogspot.com/2012/05/data-snooping-bias-evil-of-trading.html

Maybe it sounds you do not have a lot of experience with these issues but it is OK and normal. Most people do not until they lose a lot of money trading junk. Again, problem with genetics is that out of sample is really like in sample, no difference. I paid a lot of money to learn that, I am not so smart to know before.

BTW this strategy quant looks like adaptrade, like the same person did both.

Edited by timo

Timo

I agree with you to some extent. When the vendor says out of sample, we believe its really out of sample and no data snooping is done. Right now, i just ran some tests, and got some results, I have to do walk forward analysis and robustness tests. They are also part of the system development. I have to run them now onwards. To produce good results, it takes a lot of time...hrs toghether.

I do have good exposure to NN! I have tried NeuroShell Trader and Tradingsolutions. But so far a good trading strategy is not found in them.

Also, I do have to say this on one point: No system is going to give you a good result or equity curve on the whole length. Some years the market trends, some years its range bound. So a system working good on trending market wont give result in range bound market. So its not good to expect a system which might work well through out the years. For that we need a system which adapts to the market condition.

I will post the walk farward analysis results later. Lets continue the discussion.

If system is fitted then all robustenss and monte carlo tests will look good. This is one fact that many do not understand and vendors cheat because of ignorance. Look here htt***://www.fxhackers.com/2012/11/monte-carlo-simulation-for-trading.html for some good analysis by fellow trader who knows his stuff.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...