Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hedging or Scalping?

Every trader have different strategy when trading. So, what do you prefer to use, Hedging or Scalping? And why do you use it? Let's share here.

Thanks
    No one who has not shared here. Maybe I could start it. I prefer scalping than hedging. Because I can get a larger number of pips in a short time. And leverage provided by my broker is also very suitable for scalping.

Standard Member Array
    Thanks
    Scalping for me all the way. I trade in a very short time frame with a couple of positions open simultaneously. It feels more hands on, and I like the thrill of it. I'm just glad my broker, profiforex, offers a 0.7 spread on the USD/EUR pair. I've never actually tried hedging, I hope someone who does could share his/her experience.

Platinum Member Array
    Thanks
    Why would hedging(same pair) be an alternative to scalping in the first place?
    Hedging comes into play when you don't know what to do with your open position...it might even be a scalp trade that went wrong direction.
    But if you mean to hedge i.e. a long eurusd with a long usdchf, that's what I'm doing from time to time (also eurjpy and chfjpy in opposite direction)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iwjw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeE View Post
    Scalping for me all the way. I trade in a very short time frame with a couple of positions open simultaneously. It feels more hands on, and I like the thrill of it. I'm just glad my broker, profiforex, offers a 0.7 spread on the USD/EUR pair. I've never actually tried hedging, I hope someone who does could share his/her experience.
    It's low spread and very suitable for scalping. I also prefer to do scalping. If we can take advantage of market movement, we can get huge pips in short time.

Quote Originally Posted by iwjw View Post
    Why would hedging(same pair) be an alternative to scalping in the first place?
    Hedging comes into play when you don't know what to do with your open position...it might even be a scalp trade that went wrong direction.
    But if you mean to hedge i.e. a long eurusd with a long usdchf, that's what I'm doing from time to time (also eurjpy and chfjpy in opposite direction)
    Right, and thanks for sharing, guys.

Standard Member Array Fxgeekstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaban View Post
    Every trader have different strategy when trading. So, what do you prefer to use, Hedging or Scalping? And why do you use it? Let's share here.

Why are you considering hedging as a possible strategy? Hedging is often done by businesses and big institutions to protect themselves against adverse price movements. It is more a 'defensive' measure to protect against losses.

Scalping is a viable trading method but you must be aware that it requires you to be looking at the charts for prolonged periods of time as it involves trading on very short timeframes. Trading opportunities present themselves on very short notice.

If that is not your cup of tea, perhaps you might want to consider trading on higher timeframes such as H1, H4 or Daily. Trading on hese timeframes does not require you to look at the charts often. For example, trading on Daily charts requires you to look at the charts maybe twice a day - once in the morning and once at night to manage the trade.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fxgeekstar For This Useful Post:

Gold Member Array
    Thanks
    My Questions:

1.) What is your typical TP & SL for Scalping?
    2.) What is the ratio of your Winning Trade Vs Losing Trade for Scalping?
    3.) Are you trading with Fixed Lot? or MM?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to apple1937 For This Useful Post:

Standard Member Array
    Thanks
    I believe scalping involves a lot of trades in a day, trying to get small profits from each trade by taking advantage of the bid/ask spread.

One benefit that scalping has is the risk is much lower than traditional trading methods.

You can also lose all hard earned profits in a single trade. So we need to be careful when dealing with scalping because there is NO PERFECT STRATEGY.

Gold Member Array
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonnymak View Post
    I believe scalping involves a lot of trades in a day, trying to get small profits from each trade by taking advantage of the bid/ask spread.

One benefit that scalping has is the risk is much lower than traditional trading methods.

You can also lose all hard earned profits in a single trade. So we need to be careful when dealing with scalping because there is NO PERFECT STRATEGY.
    If you risk 15, 20% or even 30% of your trading capital for a single trade of scalping. I do not think that the risk is lower than other trading methods. One thing that I agreed with you is " There is no perfect strategy"..
    Last edited by apple1937; 04-26-2013 at 04:21 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to apple1937 For This Useful Post:

Standard Member Array Arief Makmur's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaban View Post
    I more prefferer SCALPING-Martingle + Cut and Switch Risk Management; the reasson the change you will survive and your account growth its more big rather you used a hedging strategy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast