Must Have, Must View/Read List

Hello Veterans,

This forum has provided an exceptional platform for us to share content among the forum members irrespective of their experience in the markets. Lot of content is shared and is available and many of us keep collecting whatever is available for the grabs with a thought that it might be useful. The collection keeps growing as it is very difficult to keep up with the pace of collecting trading courses/books and we land up not referring most of it. My general observation is that we've a lot of full time seasoned traders here on indoinvestasi. I would appreciate if we could collaborate and come up with a list of good books and courses so that it is easier for newcomers (like me) to sharpen their knowledge and skills by focusing on the important content.

Hoping for the right people to chip in their valuable suggestions so that we land up with a nice list to focus on.

Thanks.

PS: I'll collate the incoming suggestions in #2 of this thread.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price Action

??

Indicators

RSI

1. Andrew Cardwell - RSI Basic (http://www.cardwellrsiedge.com/rsi-basic.php)

Trading Psychology

1. Trading in the Zone - Mark Douglas

2. The Disciplined Trader - Mark Douglas

3. Trading Psychology 2.0 - Brett N. Steenbarger

logicgate Suggestions

1. Master The Markets - Tom Williams

2. Trades About To Happen - David Weis

3. The Three Skills of Top Trading - Hank Pruden

4. The Trader's Book of Volume - Mark Leibovit

5. Investing With Volume Analysis - Buff Dormeier

6. Value in Time: Better Trading Through Effective Volume - Pascal Willaim

7. The Secret Science of Price and Volume - Tim Ord

8. Trading On Volume - Don Cassidy

9. Sentiment in the Forex Market: Indicators and Strategies To Profit from Crowd Behavior and Market Extremes - Jamie Saettele

10. Trade Stocks and Commodities with the Insiders: Secrets of the COT Report - Larry Williams

11. The Commitments of Traders Bible: How To Profit from Insider Market Intelligence - Stephen Briese

12. All Jim Kane Books (Fibonacci)

13. Superstructure Trading - Ken Chow

14. Fibonacci Trading: How to Master the Time and Price Advantage - Carolyn Boroden

15. High Probability Trading Strategies: Entry to Exit Tactics for the Forex, Futures, and Stock Markets - Robert Miner

tx42 Suggestions

1. Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications (New York Institute of Finance) by John J. Murphy

2. A Complete Guide To Volume Price Analysis by Anna Coulling

3. Technical Analysis Explained, Fifth Edition: The Successful Investor's Guide to Spotting Investment Trends and Turning Points by Martin J. Pring

4. All TA videos by Martin Pring

Edited by insaneike
Add: Suggestions by logicgate, tx42

Must read:

Master The Markets - Tom Williams

Trades About To Happen - David Weis

The Three Skills of Top Trading - Hank Pruden

The Trader's Book of Volume - Mark Leibovit

Investing With Volume Analysis - Buff Dormeier

Value in Time: Better Trading Through Effective Volume - Pascal Willaim

The Secret Science of Price and Volume - Tim Ord

Trading On Volume - Don Cassidy

Sentiment in the Forex Market: Indicators and Strategies To Profit from Crowd Behavior and Market Extremes - Jamie Saettele

Trade Stocks and Commodities with the Insiders: Secrets of the COT Report - Larry Williams

The Commitments of Traders Bible: How To Profit from Insider Market Intelligence - Stephen Briese

All Jim Kane Books (Fibonacci)

Superstructure Trading - Ken Chow

Fibonacci Trading: How to Master the Time and Price Advantage - Carolyn Boroden

High Probability Trading Strategies: Entry to Exit Tactics for the Forex, Futures, and Stock Markets - Robert Miner

If I remember of more books I will update this post, but in my opinion, the books listed are the ones you should be reading and reading and reading again.

Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications (New York Institute of Finance) by John J. Murphy

A Complete Guide To Volume Price Analysis by Anna Coulling

Technical Analysis Explained, Fifth Edition: The Successful Investor's Guide to Spotting Investment Trends and Turning Points by Martin J. Pring

-- All TA videos by Martin Pring

From the suggestions above... I only can conclude that there isnt only One Path to profitability trading.

Absolutely true. It that was the case, everyone would follow this one path, and then, someone (market makers, smart money) would just antecipate himself and couter-trade the triggering signal. For that reason, all methods, strategies also lose it's validity over time.

I don't agree with you tx42, I don't think that methods lose their validity over time, if that was the case then Wyckoff methods of analysis and trading wouldn't work... And this is something that repeats over and over again, everyday it is there, the setups...

And you can see that VSA is based on that. I think that the more people are doing the same thing, the more it works. It takes thousands or millions of

traders doing the same thing at the same time for the price to bounce of those classic levels, or some group of traders with extremely deep pockets.

It is impossible for you to "discover" a method that only you know, it wouldn't work. Do you think that a couple of lots or contracts that you buy

at a certain level that is your "secret method" are responsible for the price moving from there? Of course not...

As far as strategy goes 99% percent of the stuff out there is useless junk which simply will not work no matter how effective your money management & how disciplined you are, so personally I disregard all vendors, system sellers, gurus who do not provide an audited trading statement, in my time I've just seen three who've done this

-Mark Larson had a handout of his trading results

-Chick Goslin had it on his website

- John Grady, when he first started out he had uploaded his tax returns for 650k (I saw it myself but it could have been income from a source other than trading .... so not completely sure)

If anyone has personally seen others I'd be interested to know

Some exceptions to the above rule would be

- Mark Fisher of The Logical Trader because hes a well known pit trader

- The Market Wizards because none were interviewed without Jack Schwager verifying their brokerage statements

- Possibly Andrea Unger because of his publicly available track record

- Possibly Kevin Davey because of his publicly available track record

- Possibly Steven Dux as reviewed by Emmett Moore (but I'm not certain as Moore himself has a shady past)

Edited by hermanhess

I don't agree with you tx42, I don't think that methods lose their validity over time, if that was the case then Wyckoff methods of analysis and trading wouldn't work... And this is something that repeats over and over again, everyday it is there, the setups...

And you can see that VSA is based on that. I think that the more people are doing the same thing, the more it works. It takes thousands or millions of

traders doing the same thing at the same time for the price to bounce of those classic levels, or some group of traders with extremely deep pockets.

It is impossible for you to "discover" a method that only you know, it wouldn't work. Do you think that a couple of lots or contracts that you buy

at a certain level that is your "secret method" are responsible for the price moving from there? Of course not...

I understand what you say, and I agree in many points. What I meant is that a profitable strategy may not work exactly in future, it needs to be changed, updated, as time passes.

This interview deals with this idea, in some ways https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnnavin/2016/12/31/why-some-technical-analysis-may-no-longer-be-effective-an-interview-with-michael-harris/#22b290cb4733

I understand what you say, and I agree in many points. What I meant is that a profitable strategy may not work exactly in future, it needs to be changed, updated, as time passes.

This interview deals with this idea, in some ways https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnnavin/2016/12/31/why-some-technical-analysis-may-no-longer-be-effective-an-interview-with-michael-harris/#22b290cb4733

Yes, that happens when you are too rigid/mechanical, you gotta learn to read the market like a musical sheet so you can be more discretionary when needed to. Having said that, if you read the books like Market Wizards and other interviews of successful traders, you can see that they lose a lot, all the time, what matters is how much do you lose when you are wrong and how much do you win when you are right. I totally disagree with hermanhess, money management and discipline are key factors and are the main reasons why 90% of the traders lose money, you can even use a coin flip to buy or sell and if you have the aforementioned skills developed you gonna still make money.

Edited by logicgate

Just thinking out loud, with all the HFT and algorithmic trading going on by the Institutions, I'm just wondering as to how this commonly available information is misused to manipulate and set a trap at least for a short term trend ? I know that there is no holy grail but would be interested to know if it is possible to avoid the trap.

The issue is, every one is trying to get a ready made strategy which i already proven. Frankly it will never work. Assume if Ken Chow created his super structure strategy to build a Manson and if you apply the same to build a dam then will not work even-though the core is construction. Finally you will end of saying that none of the strategies are working. Don't ever look for a strategy to use on the market straight away. It is what all the course sellers are marketing, we are buying and failing.

Learn the methods and create your own strategy. From my personal experience, I don't think that you can trial and judge any strategy in one day. You have to keep trailing and fine tuning according to your characters. It will take years to make it perfectly tuned for your needs. There is no point in keep asking for a new course every day

Just thinking out loud, with all the HFT and algorithmic trading going on by the Institutions, I'm just wondering as to how this commonly available information is misused to manipulate and set a trap at least for a short term trend ? I know that there is no holy grail but would be interested to know if it is possible to avoid the trap.

Read "Master The Markets" by Tom Williams, "Trades About To Happen" by David Weis, watch Dr. Gary Courses (which is an amalgamation of the books mentioned) that you will learn how read the chart properly then using the HLC bars, volume and structure, there is nothing more to it. Understand the concept of the climactic action which is the main trap people fall for, strength comes in down bars of very high volume (usually bad news in media) and weakness comes in up bars with high volume (usually with good news in media). The springs/upthrusts and shakeouts are traps too, you gotta learn how to identify those. When you jump the gun you get trapped, don't bite the bait. You have to practice and master to pull the trigger at the low volume tests of those high volume bars (which are the anchor points of support and resistance lines) You know that when price touch those levels with low volume, it cannot keep going if in a previous touch it had more volume and bounced, there is no logic. If price breaks you also know it is suspicious, probably a trap, then it reverses closing firm forming a spring or upthrust. This is all chart reading skill, practice.

If had to add one more book would be "The Secret Science of Price and Volume" by Tim Ord.

Seriously, only after reading those books I finally understood what was going on and was able to read the charts properly.

Edited by logicgate