Best instrument to pass topstep combine

Billy1960

hi!

I would say it depends on your strategy and your trading approach?

What strategies do you use?

Also from my understanding you can trade both markets as long as you stay profitable there is no need to just focus upon one isnt there?

Edited by martis

Intraday initial margin requirement for CL *at the exchange* is almost 2.5x LESS than the ES. The CL is not a thin contract by any means. If you're starting a combine then you're trading nothing size relative to what the CL market can take without moving the bid/ask on you, a 1 tick spread.

With no intention of negatively criticizing anyone else's opinion, I would strongly urge you to trade the most volatile futures contracts you can find. In the U.S., that would be the NQ, YM and RTY e-minis. In Europe, hands down, the FDAX / FDXM (mini version...1 FDAX contract = 5 FDXM contracts). In the Asian markets, the Hang Seng Index futures contract is the most volatile, symbol HSI for the big contract, MHI for the mini. One HSI = 5 MHI contracts)

"Volatility" = more easy to recover from small losses.

If you're not, for example, at TraderBeauty's expertise trading level, imho, STAY AWAY from the ES. It is not a beginner's / intermediate's contract. The RTY is the best contract if you're not quite ready yet for the explosiveness of the NQ / YM. It has nice trending motions that won't scare the ba-geezus out of you.

The DAX and HSI futures are pure paradise once you have found your trading legs (i.e., you are a long-term winning futures trader): the King and Queen of volatile futures contracts of the world...bar NONE.

Good luck in your combine!