New Ninjatrader Licence cannot be used with most of the brokers

Fxheaven

I just came to know that if I buy a new Ninjatrader Licence, it cannot be used with most of the brokers.

I got the following response when I inquired by contacting Ninjatrader directly.

---------

Hello _____,

Thank you for your interest in using our NinjaTrader software.

As I understand ______(name of broker I intend to use)___ clears through AMP Global Clearing, or Gain Capital. Unfortunately, neither of these firms are able to offer new NinjaTrader license keys. If you are planning to trade futures with our NinjaTrader software the best course of action is to open an account with our brokerage as well. We offer low rates, low day trading margins, and you would have a single point of support for all your brokerage account, and software needs. Additionally, we have many projects in development to enhance the NinjaTrader user experience, and these enhancements will only be available to NinjaTrader Brokerage customers.

----------

It seems that we have to now open the account with Ninjatrader broker only.

I just came to know that if I buy a new Ninjatrader Licence, it cannot be used with most of the brokers.

I got the following response when I inquired by contacting Ninjatrader directly.

---------

Hello _____,

As I understand ______(name of broker I intend to use)___ clears through AMP Global Clearing, or Gain Capital. Unfortunately, neither of these firms are able to offer new NinjaTrader license keys. If you are planning to trade futures with our NinjaTrader software the best course of action is to open an account with our brokerage as well. We offer low rates, low day trading margins, and you would have a single point of support for all your brokerage account, and software needs. Additionally, we have many projects in development to enhance the NinjaTrader user experience, and these enhancements will only be available to NinjaTrader Brokerage customers.

----------

If you have an account with AMP prior to March 2015, Ninjatrader will issue you a key to trade with AMP

Gladiator858, ONLY if you have an account with AMP prior to March 2015 AND a valid licensed (read: paid) Ninja license issued before march 2015, Ninjatrader will issue an upgrade key to trade with AMP. This is also true for other brokers who used to be able to sell Ninja licenses prior to March 2015.

In essence: All existing NInja licenses can be upgraded, but NEW licenses can ONLY be bought at Ninjatrader. I also read that some "exciting" features of NT8 will only be available to clients of Ninjatrader brokerage. So even if you already had a paid license at AMP prior to March 2015 and upgrades (read: pays more), then you will not get some "existing" features of NT8. This is for the literature lovers amongst us: "All NT8 software is equal, but some NT8 software are more equal than others". I find more and more arguments to drop Ninja as it clearly evolves as a vehicle only to be used for Ninjatrader brokerage. All other futures brokers will eventually be left out. I am sorry, but I have no relationship with Ninjatrader brokerage. Better support my trusty and proven broker. Ninja = good software, but a brokerage is other stuff and they use proven unreliable vehicle of Continuum for their brokerage.

The literature lovers all know what happened to some of the animals on the farm.....and eventually with the pigs!

Gladiator858, ONLY if you have an account with AMP prior to March 2015 AND a valid licensed (read: paid) Ninja license issued before march 2015, Ninjatrader will issue an upgrade key to trade with AMP. This is also true for other brokers who used to be able to sell Ninja licenses prior to March 2015.

In essence: All existing NInja licenses can be upgraded, but NEW licenses can ONLY be bought at Ninjatrader. I also read that some "exciting" features of NT8 will only be available to clients of Ninjatrader brokerage. So even if you already had a paid license at AMP prior to March 2015 and upgrades (read: pays more), then you will not get some "existing" features of NT8. This is for the literature lovers amongst us: "All NT8 software is equal, but some NT8 software are more equal than others". I find more and more arguments to drop Ninja as it clearly evolves as a vehicle only to be used for Ninjatrader brokerage. All other futures brokers will eventually be left out. I am sorry, but I have no relationship with Ninjatrader brokerage. Better support my trusty and proven broker. Ninja = good software, but a brokerage is other stuff and they use proven unreliable vehicle of Continuum for their brokerage.

The literature lovers all know what happened to some of the animals on the farm.....and eventually with the pigs!

I agree with you profile and I am concerned about the direction that Ninja is going in. What other software are you considering/have you investigated to replace Ninja?

1. IMHO: It is too early to judge negatively NinjaTrader and its future.

2. I can't see such flexible platform as an alternative to NT. I wish I could use OEC Trader for different brokers.

2. Continuum is a rebrand of CQG. It is technically the same as CQG. The only difference is in the name and the marketing behind the two.

3. Take it easy. Let's better wait for outcome of licensing issues just after we get NT8 in our hands. ;)

Have somebody got it already among the members of II and would share it? (of course, the Beta release)

Flipper,

I am concerned about the business model Ninja is using, not technical issues.

You question is however about technical thing: alternative for Ninja. I am not the person having the background or insight to make any statement regarding technical. The only thing I know is that Agena trader is positioned as Ninja replacement option as they have the same C script language and a Ninja indicator converter that may help you convert Ninja scripts provided they are coded 100% as per Ninja guidelines. AMP, and no doubt other ex-Ninja fan brokers, have webinars on Agena and it seems as if Agena is built with modern insights as they use all available cores and the ability to open 2000 - 3000 charts. In one seminar they open 3000 charts for you at warp speed. Also new insights on many other user interaction aspects. No doubt NT8 will have impressive improvements over NT7.

But again, it is the business model of NT that has already been implemented over the last months that is not right for me and that is what I can talk about. For sure is that Ninja will not reverse back their business model with the release of NT8. The current business model is the initiation for the business model when NT8 hits the street. Now new Ninja users can only deal with Ninjabrokerage and in the end I am sure the existing users will need to make a decision to go to Ninjabrokerage as Ninja already now states, before the release of NT8, that " extras" on NT8 will only be for clients of Ninjatrader brokerage. Anyone who can add 1 to 1 can see the outcome of this business model. I am not negative about Ninja, just sharing my thoughts about their business model, not technically. But how wonderful NT 7/8/9 technology may be, in the end it is the business model that drives the success of a product.

thanks, @profile, I understood that you were talking about the business model and not the technical issues. I am concerned about both. I've already been through the Mirus debacle and was left scrambling for an alternative when that all fell apart. The communication of that issue was horrendous. I believe Ninja is trying to move everyone to their Ninja brokerage and eventually even the grandfathered users will be squeezed out with NT8. I have no issues with my current broker but I can see that eventually they may no longer be able to provide Ninja as an option so I think it is prudent to be prepared for this. For me as well, Ninja brokerage is not an option as they made the business decision that they will not offer Ninja brokerage to Canadians.

I have one question about NT8.

Does it come with simulation mode?

Under NT8, can we run replay mode and sim mode at the same time?

What I mean is if we can do sim trade under replay mode.

Thanks.

It's obvious, that we can. In this mode, the simulation account is called: replay101

1. IMHO: It is too early to judge negatively NinjaTrader and its future.

2. I can't see such flexible platform as an alternative to NT. I wish I could use OEC Trader for different brokers.

2. Continuum is a rebrand of CQG. It is technically the same as CQG. The only difference is in the name and the marketing behind the two.

3. Take it easy. Let's better wait for outcome of licensing issues just after we get NT8 in our hands. ;)

Have somebody got it already among the members of II and would share it? (of course, the Beta release)

When mirus futures was alive I made a test of continuum data feed. I checked a volume ladder (footprint) with CQG,iqfeed and continuum simultaneously. While cqg and iqfeed gave the same results, continuum no. It seems that the data wasn't unfiltered. So i emailed mirus for understand why this happened. They said me that the data flow was fitted in function of my internet speed. That means that the data was filtered. So for me continuum is very different from cqg, test it before use it. May be when mirus futures has converted to ninja brockerage something has changed, but not sure, never test it again.

When mirus futures was alive I made a test of continuum data feed. I checked a volume ladder (footprint) with CQG,iqfeed and continuum simultaneously. While cqg and iqfeed gave the same results, continuum no. It seems that the data wasn't unfiltered. So i emailed mirus for understand why this happened. They said me that the data flow was fitted in function of my internet speed. That means that the data was filtered. So for me continuum is very different from cqg, test it before use it. May be when mirus futures has converted to ninja brockerage something has changed, but not sure, never test it again.

Technically, both of them are the same. Continuum uses CQG API. I'm not in a position to identify the reason of the differences you've observed. Maybe, it was related to the new data feed protocol (MDP 3.0) introduced by CME.

https://www.bigmiketrading.com/brokers-data-feeds/30143-continuum-cqg.html

https://www.bigmiketrading.com/brokers-data-feeds/35672-mdp-3-0-cme-migrating-new-data-comm-protocol.html

Technically, both of them are the same. Continuum uses CQG API. I'm not in a position to identify the reason of the differences you've observed. Maybe, it was related to the new data feed protocol (MDP 3.0) introduced by CME.

https://www.bigmiketrading.com/brokers-data-feeds/30143-continuum-cqg.html

https://www.bigmiketrading.com/brokers-data-feeds/35672-mdp-3-0-cme-migrating-new-data-comm-protocol.html

Yes, may be.

Howewer this week I will test it again (with a continuum demo) and I will post the results.

Have a good week end

Really?

Can someone confirm whether we can still use ninjatrader to place order into Interactive Broker?

Thanks.

Mike

---------

Hello _____,

----------

As an aside, of all the datafeeds I tested LIVE with NT, the best are Rithmic and IQfeed in terms of speed and tick accuracy. Continuum, CQG and TT are inferior IMO.

Except TT which depends on your provider infrastructure, what differences did you notice between CQG and Rithmic? latency? compression?

When did you make your tests? Keep in mind about the MDP 3.0 protocol.

Except TT which depends on your provider infrastructure, what differences did you notice between CQG and Rithmic? latency? compression?

When did you make your tests? Keep in mind about the MDP 3.0 protocol.

I did the tests about 6 months ago. Rithmic (the OEM for ZenFire), was best in latency, but not enough to make a difference when pressing a mouse button to enter an order. With a collocated server on the CME backbone trading ATS, Rithmic is the clear latency winner.