Which indi for sideway markets?

noody

Addressing the miniz, which is what I trade:

IMHO, the markets ranges intra-day most of the time ( some studies say as high as 80%). So, I believe, we can be safe to assume that it will range today, tomorrow and everyday and use the RSI or any other oscillator to sell OB and buy OS. Now, once in a while, we will have a nice trend in place that will stop us out of my ranging assumption. The key is to use a 1/1 or 1/2 Risk/Reward in order to increase our account size in the long term. We also need to be careful of the time frame we use, since a trend 5M chart is nothing but a ranging day on the 30/60 chart. Based on what I have read lately, oscillators can work better on market with heavy participation, such as the the stock market indices. But with that said please note that there is always a better trader(s) than me that is taking the other side of the trade!!

Andy

The only way to KNOW in REAL TIME if a market is consolidating is NOT by using an indicator as Yamantaka said above but using the only thing - not lagging which is PRICE itself.

Sound simple right- but not so lol.

You cannot just look at the current bars and decide ; so here is my way to forecast the market in any time frame and any conditions.

All you have to do is mark you pivots ( or use any simple zigzag indicator to mark them for you ) - now here is the kicker- so watch carefully-

so far all we did was marking our pivots - so it makes no difference what time frame we are. Ignore noise if you can and if you cannot then skip it.

Now- watch- if the distance extension between the previous pivot and the current one is LESS than 1.272 then MARKET IS CONSOLIDATING RIGHT NOW. NO NEED FOR FANCY EXPENSIVE INDICATORS ETC.

Then you wait for the next pivot and do the same- ONLY when you fib is equal or bigger than 1.272 thats when you know that consolidation has ended IN REAL TIME.

Write this down, back test . no book or seminar will tell you that because they all want you to buy their expensive indicators that will plot beautiful colors and dots and curves lol.

This is my own revelation and I am standing 100% behind it ( it works 99% of the time in the ES ).

It is a little more composed than that but you can read more later on my coming up friday's entire day analysis.

Hope it helps

And PLEASE - let me hear your feedback and responses - dont be shy :), i can stand any criticism :).

Traderbeauty

Jane

Edited by Traderbeauty

Use only support and resistance ,use 2 charts one bigger timeframe and a smaller timeframe to trade from..

As long as indicators nothing can substitute learning to read the tape try getting your hands on an agregated time and sales as you can have a clearer picture of whats going on the time and sales gives you the confirmation of a reversal or continuation ,trade small and if you are new to trading stay away from crude ,gold try training with sp or euro curency.

Try not to put much effort on oscillators as they are pretty much worthless ,been there done that!!

Like trederbeauty said fibonacci is a great tool is alittle bit more advanced but in my experience trading ,specially daytrading is not easy to learn even if you think you have learned there will be times the market will behave very diffrent from time to time ,patience is the key if you are patient you will succeed let the market come to you

stay away from ghost markets havent you think why are they so thinly traded? because no one feels to gamble there ;)

T

Now- watch- if the distance extension between the previous pivot and the current one is LESS than 1.272 then MARKET IS CONSOLIDATING RIGHT NOW. NO NEED FOR FANCY EXPENSIVE INDICATORS ETC.

Then you wait for the next pivot and do the same- ONLY when you fib is equal or bigger than 1.272 thats when you know that consolidation has ended IN REAL TIME.

Hi Jane interesting point of view, mind showing us some pics?

until now i just came across the 1.272 level as fib extension.....

• 3 weeks later...