ADX indicator

dave123

For those of you who equired about the manual strategey I use (under the coding thread) here is the indicator I hope will be made into a EA.

http://www.4shared.com/file/_iU_AcsF/ADX_Cross_Alert_MrPip.html

For the 4hr time frame upwards. Exit - you can use s/r or close after one bar after open, or if you find you are in a trend let it run.

All the best,

Dave

I think all this indiator needs is a good exit strategy and it will work as a EA. It certainly works manually on the 4hr tf. Just have to see if the guys in the coding section can make something of this, if not I will continue to trade it manually.

I think all this indiator needs is a good exit strategy and it will work as a EA. It certainly works manually on the 4hr tf. Just have to see if the guys in the coding section can make something of this, if not I will continue to trade it manually.

Thanks for sharing Dave. The signals do look good, very good, almost too good !

When does the signal dot/alert come? At the beginning of the bar? During the bar? At the end of the bar? Or even perhaps painted one or multiple bar(s) back? Need to know this to see where a reasonable entry can be expected.

Is there any problem with repainting/movement/disappearance of the dot once the bar is closed?

Is there a difference between the dots/signals "live" and the dots using historical data? For instance if I had my computer running live for a long period say a month straight (or VPS) with all the signals accumulating and the time period and symbol never changed then I pulled up a new chart using historical data, would the signals be identical or would a bunch of the bad signals be missing(recalculated) on the historical chart?

Please fill me in on this. Are you successfully trading live with this? On the surface, it looks outstanding!

Edited by Diesel 10

Diesel, this indi is used a lot with the Craig Harris system on the FF thread. You could pick up quite a lot of info (or opinion) there.

There is also a thread with the TRO zig-zag indi. That repaints a lot but the user says that he only uses the dots as a warning, a heads up that the turn is near. Ignors it then and uses his PA trigger.

Edited by Freddie

Thanks for sharing Dave. The signals do look good, very good, almost too good !

When does the signal dot/alert come? At the beginning of the bar? During the bar? At the end of the bar? Or even perhaps painted one or multiple bar(s) back? Need to know this to see where a reasonable entry can be expected.

Is there any problem with repainting/movement/disappearance of the dot once the bar is closed?

Is there a difference between the dots/signals "live" and the dots using historical data? For instance if I had my computer running live for a long period say a month straight (or VPS) with all the signals accumulating and the time period and symbol never changed then I pulled up a new chart using historical data, would the signals be identical or would a bunch of the bad signals be missing(recalculated) on the historical chart?

Please fill me in on this. Are you successfully trading live with this? On the surface, it looks outstanding!

seems that it *does not* repaint, and paints max 2 bars back, depend on TF and PA...

Hi Diesel, In all honesty I have not gone into all what you mention, basically I looked at how the indi performed during a couple of weeks when I initially got it, I then decided to give it a try in combination with my experience of trading price action in combination with s/r and low and behold I was making pips on the 4hr. I generally do not trade with indis but this one caught my

Musketeer looks like the man to answere you questions but in general I found that when the dot appears it does not repaint and is 'fixed' which is what caught my attention with this, when that happens, I enter a trade on the open of the following bar. Traidng the dot in the direction of the Hh's/Hlw's Llow's/Lh's to catch the main trend is probably the best strategy with this.

Yes I trade live with it, sometimes I will exit after just a one bar move after the dot or take a small loss on a reversal bar, (I work fulltime so if that bar moves 30/40 pips I will take it for the day).

This might not suite everyone, it is just something I come accross and thought it might be of use (hope it is:-).

Not sure I understand what you mean by repaint. The dot appears on the 4hr, change time frame, then go back to the 4hr and the dot is still in the same place 'fixed'. It stays 'fixed' whether price exceeds it or not.

As I understand repainting, a signal will change as price action moves in order to get the optimal entry (eg like zig zag indicator), so you will be getting false signals until you see a signal at the high and low of a move.

Will know about the potential for an EA if any of the coders get back to me.

Not sure I understand what you mean by repaint. The dot appears on the 4hr, change time frame, then go back to the 4hr and the dot is still in the same place 'fixed'. It stays 'fixed' whether price exceeds it or not.

As I understand repainting, a signal will change as price action moves in order to get the optimal entry (eg like zig zag indicator), so you will be getting false signals until you see a signal at the high and low of a move.

Will know about the potential for an EA if any of the coders get back to me.

If the dot appears one or two bars back as Musketeer said, then where realistically did you get filled in real time with the EA? Basically I believe it's impossible to know looking at a chart because you won't know how far the dot was placed "back" (unless you are watching 24/7). On the chart it looks like the fill was at X but the actual fill might be two bars later and much worse... A friend of mine here on Indo and I went thru all this on this indicator a while back (I think Musketeer was involved too) and we gave up on it. (Perhaps because we were looking at shorter time frames where the problem was more pronounced). If you can make it work on a 4hr, then I am sincerely happy for you! But for the reason above, I don't believe a EA would be profitable.

That's just my opinion and I will be looking at this indicator this week on a 4hr EURUSD chart to see if can perhaps be profitable on a manual basis...

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Not sure if it`s the same or what you had in mind, you might be interested in having a look at the following site, there`s one there free.

All the best.

For those of you who equired about the manual strategey I use (under the coding thread) here is the indicator I hope will be made into a EA.

http://www.4shared.com/file/_iU_AcsF/ADX_Cross_Alert_MrPip.html

For the 4hr time frame upwards. Exit - you can use s/r or close after one bar after open, or if you find you are in a trend let it run.

All the best,

Dave