Trading Without Charts

Yes, it's possible.

You're going to have to do your own work on this.

It's taken me over 20 years to realize how simple this all can be.

All you need to trade:

Hedge

Trailing Stop

That's it.

Everything I have omitted is what you don't need. Keep it simple.

Edited by conglo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Conglo, '...just plain not grasp it' but thanks anyway. To any who do grasp it I wish you luck and if it is so easy maybe you will do me the favour of a PM.

In the meantime it is back to the breakouts for me. If the internet improves I could even go live!!

Everything you need is in the first post; all you add is some intelligence and a little effort.

The vast majority of what you have been taught or believe about trading is untrue. It's all that stuff that's in the way.

You must prove this to yourself or it's of no value, I can't do it for you.

Edited by conglo
thought better of it

It's simple...you buy and sell on the same pair at the same price....No SL , No TP...just a trailing stop on both the buy and sell....Market goes up.....say 40 pips.....when it retraces and hits your trailing stop, say at 30 pips....you banked the buy...now you need the market to retrace another 30 pips to BE on the sell....if it only retraces 10 pips...and you close it you've made 10 pips....if it retraces past your selling price, say 30 pips and ts gets hit at 20 pips...youve banked 50....sounds crazy but tested many times.....dunno if this is what conglo does though....

Isn't that just a sort of grid trading? Like BWILC, etc.

I agree, it does sound similar to a grid method. Assuming the "hedge" is in the same pair. Most grids have a fixed TP though.

The problem with these types of systems is you don't want a small TP or the spread will kill you. On the bigger TP a major trend move will kill you.

Some grid system use pairs like AUDNZD which are supposed to keep fairly stable. No big trends, in theory.

I've yet to see a system like this which has stood the test of time unless you use a very small lot size.

Some also employ martingales to compensate when opening a new hedge so it starts even but this is even more dangerous in my opinion.

Still conglo could be talking about some other type?

Edited by piphead

No.

The spread and/or trend won't kill you if you place your trades appropriately.

I never said anything about a grid.

The less restrictive the better.

Trade placement is something you'll need to determine for yourself through experiment.

Get a trial copy of Forex Tester. You can accomplish a great deal with it in a short time.

Conglo, does this involve a multiple currency hedge? I've tried many different hedge strategies, and if the spread doesn't kill you, the trend will.
Edited by conglo

I still believe hedging is a real way to trade and make big $$$ but in saying that I never found it easy even with help from Sparks of fxpowerhedge.

Why don't you just explain the way you do it conglo? The thing about trading is that we all will do things slightly different due to countless reasons, so there is no harm in sharing and showing.

Juicyt

You will lose your tuchis with fxpowerhedge..

I don't have a strict method, that's why I encourage you to find your own.

My way may not be for your liking, it's the principle that's important.

But, since you ask..

Put on a hedge.

When there's a profit of somewhere between 20-30 pips I put a 50% trailing stop in. It could be more pips, but not less. It's kind of casual, as I can't be stuck by the PC all day.

I move the stop when I happen to look at the P/L and the profit has mandated it.

If there's a huge profit I may move the stop(s) up by more than 50%.

When the winning position(s) is stopped out I add another hedge and do the same thing.

The dangling loser(s) are ignored.

When there is a new equity (not balance) high watermark, even just a few pips, close all trades and start over.

In my case, it's when I happen to look at the PC and see if there's a profit or not. Depending on my timing it could be large or small or not yet.

I may have even missed it. I think in the long run it really doesn't matter much, I'll get it next time.

If the drawdown gets bothersome, just don't add any more positions, and/or close out some of the biggest losers.

Or not.

It's a seat-of-the-pants thing so far, even with the simulator, I don't have hard and fast rules.

It's the general principle that works.

There are probably many better ways to do it, so please experiment and post if you like.

I am sticking with this method.

It works and I don't need any indicators. Entries are a non-issue.

Simple.

I still believe hedging is a real way to trade and make big $$$ but in saying that I never found it easy even with help from Sparks of fxpowerhedge.

Why don't you just explain the way you do it conglo? The thing about trading is that we all will do things slightly different due to countless reasons, so there is no harm in sharing and showing.

Juicyt

Edited by conglo

Thanks for the reply.

I always liked the idea of hedging and exiting when a currency strength meter alerts you there is real strength or weakness on the pair. So you have an alarm setup to alert (Tom Yeomans last meter had an alarm feature) you when the pair is really moving with justified strength or weakness and capture some fast pips. I just never got time to test this method of exiting. I am unsure how other meters would go using the above method.

Juicyt

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, no, I can't.

I've been a trading geek since about 1990.

I used to have quite a large library of trading-related books, many of the so-called "classics", and I gave them all away to the Salvation Army. Every one.

Most of them are useful for the basics, but none of them taught ME to trade. I don't buy books anymore.

It's up to you to find your own way. You are a lone traveler in a vast wasteland. Real poetic, ay?

Have you ever watched the classic film, "The Ten Commandments"?

When Moses is banished from Egypt to wander the desert?

To me, that's trading. You are alone in a very hostile environment and odds are you won't survive. Don't expect any help. If you DO receive help, you've been blessed.

My unlearned opinion is that the more you are able to think outside the box (the box is HUGE) and follow your gut the more successful you will be.

However, please remember the old adage about opinions and a$$holes.. :)

If I really knew what I was talking about I would not still be working at a JOB.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Hi Conglo, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I am coming to same conclusion as you, in that hedging makes the most sense. Can you please refer me to any books on that, or any authors who have published some good stuff. Thanks in advance.
Edited by conglo

Sorry to say, guys, but opening same positions in the opposite directions at the same time seems outright idiotic to me... Hedging the position which is ALREADY in profit to PROTECT that profit is a different story... Correct me if I am wrong...

• 1 month later...
Guest desitrader

I always liked these type of concepts, which simplify things..

One thing I have been thinking about is, buying puts, when market breaches 10 day ATR, or goes double the 10 day ATR on the upside, and vice-versa for buying calls when market goes down by same /similar measure.

This is a mean reversion strategy, and close the option trades, when they are in profit at least by the amount of your original premium or premium x 2.

what do you guys think?

I always liked these type of concepts, which simplify things..

One thing I have been thinking about is, buying puts, when market breaches 10 day ATR, or goes double the 10 day ATR on the upside, and vice-versa for buying calls when market goes down by same /similar measure.

This is a mean reversion strategy, and close the option trades, when they are in profit at least by the amount of your original premium or premium x 2.

what do you guys think?

Frankly speaking I've never think this way, but it is very interesting and reasonable