Don’t bank on the banks

sakura

website-cover-banks.jpg

As earnings season edges closer, investors are looking over the banking sector’s biggest names to assess their potential. 

JPMorgan (JPM) and Citigroup (C) release their figures first, followed by Wells Fargo (WFC) and Bank of America (BAC) then Goldman Sachs (GS) and Morgan Stanley (MS). 

US banks have benefited recently from a perceived likelihood of interest rate increases from the US Federal Reserve. However, much of these banks’ future performance will depend on the tax cuts that US President Donald Trump proposed recently, and the ability of his administration to get them through Congress. 

If passed, net income of the big six banks could rise $6.4 billion with Wells Fargo, Bank of America and JPMorgan the biggest beneficiaries, according to a recent Bloomberg report. 

However, Trump’s administration has been frustrated by Congress’ unwillingness to back the president on a number of policies that he has wanted to pass since coming into power. 

And Morgan Stanley’s chief US equity strategist, Mike Wilson, claims that S&P 500 companies will not hit their 2018 estimates without them. 

JPMorgan chief executive Jamie Dimon predicted a 20% year-on-year decline in the bank’s trading revenues. However, analysts are expecting JPMorgan to report EPS (earnings per share) of $1.66, an increase from the $1.58 recorded in the same period last year despite revenues falling year-on-year to reach $25.3bn. 

Citigroup’s chief financial officer offered a similar outlook revealing that total market revenues are down 15% in the third quarter. However, Citigroup EPS are forecast to be $1.30, six cents higher than the same quarter earnings posted last year. 

Wells Fargo’s problems are self-inflicted as they are struggling to shrug off the battering their reputation took as a result of numerous recent scandals. Wells Fargo may be legendary investor Warren Buffet’s favourite stock but earnings are expected to be less than 1% up on last year. 

Bank of America warned earlier this month that trading revenue in the third quarter is expected to be down 20% and that this is may have a negative effect on its quarterly earnings report. 

Goldman Sachs produced record revenues in the first three months of the year and maintained a strong performance throughout the first six months. Goldman Sachs co-president Harvey Schwartz is predicting similar figures for the third quarter. Despite this the bank seem to have missed out on the recent big bank rally with its share price up just 1%. The EPS forecast is $4.25 down on last year’s $4.88. 

Morgan Stanley’s share price has increased more than 16% this year. Analysts forecast EPS of $0.84, up exactly $0.04 from 2014’s $0.8 EPS. 

For more advice on the banking sector and how to capitalise on share price movements talk to the experts at FXB Trading. 

For more detail : Don’t bank on the banks

At times it is hard to trade when you don't have fitting help for trading with true blue conditions. There are many brokers making fake assurances and when the time has come, they show their summary of terms and conditions which as a trader 99% don't read genuinely. AAFX broker is one of them. I have request them to acknowledge some hazard, in any case they fundamentally ignore my messages. I needn't bother with any trader in forex market to trade with them.

• 1 month later...

Demo account is beneficial to newbies to enable them learn how to trade, how to place orders to the broker. Demo account also let the newbies test different different trading strategies. but demo account will not benefit them to invest without risk. Forex trading involves risk even after trying out demo accounts traders invest with risk and not without risk.
Presently a days, practically every broker offers free demo Account for all. Nonetheless, my conviction is that the Demo trading condition must mirror the Live trading condition as nearly as could be allowed. That is the reason I trade with the Forex4you broker. I routinely make utilization of this demo to test my procedures previously applying that on live account.

Edited by Willem Hesselink

Novice traders do not know how to trade, where and how to place an order etc. These things they can learn through demo trading. Demo trading facility in forex business is like blessings for new traders. Because I have not seen such a benefit in any other business. There are different trading broker in the market. Almost all the broker has demo trading facility in their trading platform. Also almost all the broker are providing demo trading facility for free.

I also started my trading career with a demo session. I have used several brokers demo platform and when I found one comfortable I immediately joined their live account. It is the ECN platform of TopFX24. Their service quality is very good and trading platform is much secured.

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t know why you face this problem with AAFX, Ian Billcliff. I have been trading with this broker for last 3 years and they are really fast according to customer care service and transaction system. I never delayed in my any sort of request. I think there might be any technical problem in your request. This is the best broker so far for me in my trading career.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...