Jim Dalton- Foundation & Application of the Market Profile

ardilo

Don't waste your time with this, Dalton stuff is totally irrelevant nowadays. If you wanna learn market profile just read Steidlmeyer's book and Tom Alexander's book.

Don't waste your time memorizing type of days, it won't give you any edge and it has been proven they don't provide any sort of predictability for the next day, even less for the current day, you just gonna waste your time trying to guess what kind of day is and lose focus, totally misleading.

Tom Alexander ditched the irrelevant stuff and kept the working bits, you could get away by reading his book only...

All that Dalton stuff/nomenclature is just market trivia.

Don't waste your time with this, Dalton stuff is totally irrelevant nowadays. If you wanna learn market profile just read Steidlmeyer's book and Tom Alexander's book.

Don't waste your time memorizing type of days, it won't give you any edge and it has been proven they don't provide any sort of predictability for the next day, even less for the current day, you just gonna waste your time trying to guess what kind of day is and lose focus, totally misleading.

Tom Alexander ditched the irrelevant stuff and kept the working bits, you could get away by reading his book only...

All that Dalton stuff/nomenclature is just market trivia.

I second @Logicgate opinion. I would suggest to follow Mr. Merritt Black teachings (SMB Futures). He cuts too much of **** in Market Profile and makes it executable.

Doesnt mean Dalton is bad. He is good but too much subjective. thats it!

According to Tom Alexander (if I am not mistaken), Dalton just jumped on the market profile bandwagon when it was released to the public by Steidlmeyer back then, then he came up with all those jargons and types of days and etc... Created a course, then that quickly became some kind of magical stuff. It was not different from today when there is some new stuff and then people try to profit on it and sell courses, because the majority of players are losers, they are always seeking for the "new thing" or magical indicator or chart that will give them profits. At that time there were a lot of people specializing in market profile, and guess what, no one made money, they found very difficult to use market profile as a trading system. Well at least this is the tale that Tom Alexander tells in that course of his (if I remember correctly). Even Steidlmeyer don´t use market profile, I think he ditched a long time ago.

Does it mean it is useless? Of course not, I like checking the TPO charts. I like to see where value is developing, in which direction it is moving, I like to merge profiles, etc, check the POC if its migrating higher or lower, this gives me some extra info about the market. But I am not a market profile trader. I use it to give me a bird´s eye view of the market, I like to see the accumulation zones, the unfair zones. This helps in your trading, but I don´t use it as a trading system or signal generator. This is profile traders stuff, they have the TPO then they have the volume profile at the same time, all that gazillion lines of value area high, low, poc, standard deviations, etc, etc... And they use that to trade as if they were magical levels. They memorize all types of days and try to guess which day will be and think this affects how the next day is gonna behave, which is bollocks.

Also, if you watch enough Dalton videos, you can see that he is not a good trader, he might be a decent analyst and know how to talk about the market, but even he admits that he lost shitloads of money on the markets almost went broke I think, his money comes from courses, seminars and the books.

Also, if you watch enough Dalton videos, you can see that he is not a good trader, he might be a decent analyst and know how to talk about the market, but even he admits that he lost shitloads of money on the markets almost went broke I think, his money comes from courses, seminars and the books.

Agree 100% Logicgate. Issue is there is hardly any training available on peter steidlmayers style except his books. So new traders find it difficult to grasp. Dalton though still in his late 70s conducts sessions hence newbies have no option but to go with JD.

Though i will explore Tom Alexander. Is his style close to Steidlmayers? any idea on that

Thanks again!

According to Tom Alexander (if I am not mistaken), Dalton just jumped on the market profile bandwagon when it was released to the public by Steidlmeyer back then, then he came up with all those jargons and types of days and etc... Created a course, then that quickly became some kind of magical stuff. It was not different from today when there is some new stuff and then people try to profit on it and sell courses, because the majority of players are losers, they are always seeking for the "new thing" or magical indicator or chart that will give them profits. At that time there were a lot of people specializing in market profile, and guess what, no one made money, they found very difficult to use market profile as a trading system. Well at least this is the tale that Tom Alexander tells in that course of his (if I remember correctly). Even Steidlmeyer don´t use market profile, I think he ditched a long time ago.

Does it mean it is useless? Of course not, I like checking the TPO charts. I like to see where value is developing, in which direction it is moving, I like to merge profiles, etc, check the POC if its migrating higher or lower, this gives me some extra info about the market. But I am not a market profile trader. I use it to give me a bird´s eye view of the market, I like to see the accumulation zones, the unfair zones. This helps in your trading, but I don´t use it as a trading system or signal generator. This is profile traders stuff, they have the TPO then they have the volume profile at the same time, all that gazillion lines of value area high, low, poc, standard deviations, etc, etc... And they use that to trade as if they were magical levels. They memorize all types of days and try to guess which day will be and think this affects how the next day is gonna behave, which is bollocks.

i totally agree with it . i too tried in early days and found it useless as types of days and other stuff didn't provide any edge while trading . now i am checking value areas and merging profiles to get a view of market that's it

Agree 100% Logicgate. Issue is there is hardly any training available on peter steidlmayers style except his books. So new traders find it difficult to grasp. Dalton though still in his late 70s conducts sessions hence newbies have no option but to go with JD.

Though i will explore Tom Alexander. Is his style close to Steidlmayers? any idea on that

Thanks again!

Here is Tom's book:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5hsdzvirfd9fcsu/Practical_Trading_Applications_of_Market_Profile-_Tom_Alexander.pdf/file

Logicgate, what is it that you use to define your entries? If I understand correctly, you are using MP for market context and possible areas of interest. What do you use when it comes to defining trade pattern and make a decision to enter a trade?

Edited by Czytorator