Would a Chicago VPS actually slow me down?

Redbullish

Sorry in advance if is not the right section, TB please move the thread if is not appropriate here.

I'm about to rent a VPS, mainly for data collecting but if it can also help me improve my speed it would be better..

I'm an european trader based in Italy, so my doubt is that if i rent a Chicago vps i will get something like 150ms ping, terrible.

While connecting to CQG London or Rithmic EU (i dnt know if it's in Frankfurt), i get much better connection, and from their EU servers to Chicago orders travel at light speed.

All my orders are manually placed and as i'm approaching thicker markets 100ms surely will make the difference to get a better place in the queue...so i'm wondering what could be best server location for fastest order routing.

Better to search for a London server near to cqg/rithimc for example?

Or even better would be maybe an Italian one, near to my home, so it will improve the speed on the Italy-London section??

Thank you

map.png

map_copy.png

What markets are you trading? ES, DAX, Bunds, Eurostoxx etc?

If they're mainly European products you probably want a Frankfurt server as EUREX is held there. If trading ES then you want a Chicago one.

The benefit of a VPS is that you can hold the stop orders on that server so they will be executed faster. If you're a manual trader then it's unlikely you will see a difference if you always trade in and out at the market price or use limit orders. (Going from Italy to Chicago whatever route will be 50 - 150ms, which if you're enter trading manually will make no difference). The difference you will see from VPS is when you hold stop orders on there. Instead of your order going from Italy to Chicago and taking 50 - 150ms, the pending stop order will be held on the Chicago server and will go straight the to Chicago exchange in less than 1ms.

Most VPS are used for mechanical trading robots and systems as they take advantage of the 1ms response and can always be in and out before everyone else. If you're planning on trading manually then obviously you can't react as fast as robots so you won't see much of an advantage. If you have really bad internet and want to hold your orders on another computer that has better internet and will be on 24/7 then go for it.

Thank you for your reply...yeah i enjoy some nice disconnection from time to time and the other purpose is keeping orders server side.

Manually scalping but planning to do some algo in the future. Cme/Cbot, so yeah it's about 150 ms from here directly to chicago, but only abut 40 to europen CQG and Rithmic servers...

So i was wondering that once orders reached their server, the final route from London to Chicago was much faster then mine 150 ms...

I assume they should have some faster "dedicated" line...for the intercontinental route

So if my assumption is true then i could gain some microsecond taking an europen VPS, near cqg/rithmic here

As their "last mile" from EU to USA should be faster then mine. Thats my doubt, i dont think they hv 110 ms from london to chicago same as me

But maybe i'm wrong as the distance is exactly the same and they could do nothing about it! :D Maybe they've only a wider bandwidth but doesnt matter!

So if this is true, a chicago one would be better as you said, in any case

Taking into account that CQG is taking 200 ml anyway between the submission of the orders and placing of stops, and other bottle necks we do not know of, the ping time does not really matter. However proper VPS will keep your orders alive and active, and prevent any loss of connection( usual case of retail internet line). Just some thoughts from my experience with my VPS, that placed in Chicago.

Cqg Collocation

Hey there it's great to meet traders from Italy

it depends what market your trading us markets are in chicago Eastern Time you are obligated to get a server if your trading US markets otherwise youll be confronted to slippage 150ms pings for order fills wich is crucial for a profitable strategy

cqg london simplify the task if you trade in europe you will get arround 45 ms because EUREX is located in Frankfurt Germany

for us use cqg chicago its 100$/monthly with a very good dedicated server they take money from your cqg account directly

I personnaly recommend doing that if you live trade and you take your trading seriously

Sorry in advance if is not the right section, TB please move the thread if is not appropriate here.

I'm about to rent a VPS, mainly for data collecting but if it can also help me improve my speed it would be better..

I'm an european trader based in Italy, so my doubt is that if i rent a Chicago vps i will get something like 150ms ping, terrible.

While connecting to CQG London or Rithmic EU (i dnt know if it's in Frankfurt), i get much better connection, and from their EU servers to Chicago orders travel at light speed.

All my orders are manually placed and as i'm approaching thicker markets 100ms surely will make the difference to get a better place in the queue...so i'm wondering what could be best server location for fastest order routing.

Or even better would be maybe an Italian one, near to my home, so it will improve the speed on the Italy-London section??

Thank you

map.png

map_copy.png

Thank you

Hi redbullish,

2 things, for data collection it really doesnt matter since neither cqg nor rithmic delivers the full tape, but both are cheap (dm me for details)

its like you wrote its all about the queue, i assume you dont like to pay the spread thats why you want to use limit orders, it depends a little bit on your pocket if you want to go blackbox you have to rent space at aurora (cme sold it to cyrus one) tape and exection are different keep that in mind.

if you are okay with semi automation and want fast execution i would suggest you get a vps/server whatever in slough and connect trough TTNet, its the best you can get and its not expensive.

Globex has various hubs even in Milan, but its not worth it.

dm me if you want details, ciao

the server sends it to the exchange it will probably be slower than if you send the order directly to the exchange...

hi maguggn,

actually you or your server send the order to the broker which sends it to the matching engine (exchange)

that means the closer you are to your broker the faster the orders get trough.

Thanks guys for replies...yeah basically it's all about the queue, as i aim to make the spread

So probably while for a full auto system co-location is obviously the best solution, for manual order-entry the fastest way is to connect directly to the the broker... and a vps will probably slow me down in any case

Fortunately i'm noticing flashing algos are actually helping me...as for example if i see 500 contracts on the bid, then i put my order, market maybe trade only 50-100 contracts at the bid before my order get filled, meaning probably other 400 orders were removed and re-placed....or maybe is my T&S that is not so accurate, as Markus said :D

So i'm sending u a PM about the datafeed :)

hi maguggn,

actually you or your server send the order to the broker which sends it to the matching engine (exchange)

that means the closer you are to your broker the faster the orders get trough.

thats right.. but when you have to send the order manually through your vps then this will definitely be slower as sending it directly to the broker as you have the delay to your vps and then on top of that the delay from your vps to the broker / exchange.