Req: Abl@Tr@nd indicator set -educate

Traderbeauty

Jane could you point out what the settings are that you use for 'risk' and 'money risk' on both acme1 and 2? They seem to default to 3 and 2,3. How are these used? Thanks!

Here is an excerpt from the book "Abletrend : identifying and analyzing market trends for trading success by John Wang, Grace Wang" Page 150-151

With AbleTrend concepts, fortunately there are only two inputs needed to characterize each market. They are (1) Risk and (2) MoneyRisk. “RISK” means how sensitive we will set the system to be so that it can best determine a trend change. The RISK level of T1 and T2 can be changed from 1 to 20 or above, with “1” being the most sensitive with minimum delay and “20” or more being the least sensitive. With a larger RISK number, you would stay in a trade longer, and you would need higher risk tolerance. The default value of RISK is 8. Under normal conditions, the default setting should be your first choice. You may adjust the “Risk” level manually or let the AutoScan select it based on your choice for (1) best profits, or (2) best AbleSys index (tradable), or (3) best EXP index (tradable with MM).

“MoneyRisk” is another input for the T2 indicator. This option affects the trend-stop values only; it does not affect the trend determination. MoneyRisk determines how wide a “fence” is built around the current range of prices that will not easily be hit or broken through by market actions. A specific range unit for MoneyRisk is used here. This unit varies with the volatility of the markets and is defined by market movement. When you change this input value, you have the choice to enlarge or reduce the protection stops. The unit size of MoneyRisk varies for different markets. For example, MoneyRisk 1.0 for common stocks means $1.00 per share; MoneyRisk 1.0 for S&P 500 futures means $250 per contract; MoneyRisk 1.0 for Forex currencies means $100,000 per contract, and MoneyRisk 1.0 for T-Bonds means $1,000 per contract. Why is it necessary to use this special unit? Because it simplifies the process by replacing individual “Symbol Universe Settings” with a more universal unit. There are over 25,000 market symbols in the United States alone. It is hard to check and set up each symbol universe accurately and individually. Furthermore, when you use third-party data, different data vendors use different symbol names and different units for the same security. Symbol universe settings become very complicated.

The MoneyRisk factor is applied to AbleTrend calculations only when a LONG or SHORT position has profits. When the profit accrued is greater than the set MoneyRisk unit, extra protection for the profit will be activated automatically. The T2 trend-stop will start to tighten the stops. This will also affect the calculations for the low-risk entry points. The default value of MoneyRisk is 2.0 for AbleTrend2. In another words, after the profit for the position becomes greater than 2.0 times the average market movement, AbleTrend will begin to tighten stops. MoneyRisk can be adjusted from 0.5 to 5.0. If you like to use the Fibonacci numbers, you may use them as inputs, such as: 0.382, 0.618, 1.000, 1.382, 1.618, 2.000, 2.382, 2.618.

If you do not want to use this option at all, simply input a very big number, such as 1,000,000. Under this 1,000,000 unit setting, AbleTrend2 will only follow the market’s own price actions to decide where to place stops. If you want to use specific settings for a specific market, the first thing to do is to choose a longer time chart to run back-testing. This works well for daily charts or longer. The chart should go back two to five years. It is not suggested to do so for intraday charts. The accuracy for intraday charts seems not to hold for long. Therefore, it is better to simply use the defaults for those intraday charts.

The book is posted at the link below for those who want a better understanding of the indicators and trading systems.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/je9h47

With AbleTrend concepts, fortunately there are only two inputs needed to characterize each market. They are (1) Risk and (2) MoneyRisk. “RISK” means how sensitive we will set the system to be so that it can best determine a trend change. The RISK level of T1 and T2 can be changed from 1 to 20 or above, with “1” being the most sensitive with minimum delay and “20” or more being the least sensitive. With a larger RISK number, you would stay in a trade longer, and you would need higher risk tolerance. The default value of RISK is 8.

Thank you ESVepara.

Jane - so you have been using this setting of 8 it seems for T1 but 2,3 for T2? (meaning the 'risk' setting on T2 is set to 3) It seems to me possibly that the 'risk' setting should match for each but I'm not sure. In this case meaning they both should be 8. Can you please share your thoughts on these settings? Thanks.

Edited by diabouncer

Regarding the settings-

As ES showed us all they do is change the sensitivity of the system.

I just use the default- i think you should not change them.

If you raise the sensitivity you get more signals but you also get more chop ( considered a signal by the system) and losers.

On the other hand if you lower the sensitivity then you get less signals which are delayed and your stops are not going to be right- so

Bottom line- why bother- just use one set and forget about it- its the same as trying to decide which setting for a moving average or macd or time frame is the right one- and the correct answer is= "ALL OF THEM"

You just have to learn how to deal with the market.

I have to tell you that I checked the RAMPAGE post and it looks very similar - i really like it and i am switching at least in my renko 1-1.

Another change i made is to switch in my renko 1-1 from spectrum to just plain renko and i think its much better.

http://indo-investasi.com/showthread.php/26727-rampage

Take care

Jane

Jane I agree with you on the settings keeping them less sensitive and hopefully out of the chop. The real question I have is whether or not the 'risk' setting is intended to be set to the same thing for both the T1 and T2. In your case the charts you showed seem to show a setting of 8 (less sensitive) and 3 (more sensitive) for T1 and 2 respectively. Curious if you did that intentionally. Thanks for your posts.

I have, it's interesting. Basically it seems to me that the risk setting is probably intended to be the same but there is no reason you couldn't change it. The less sensitive the number, ie. using 8 vs 3 for example on T2, gives a little more room on the plotting of the stop dots. Using the renko 2-1 for example, gives only about 2 ticks in many cases additional stop room but it does look better at first glance to my eye. And in a few places held to the tick where the smaller setting would have stopped out. I have not tried the 3/10min chart you showed yet.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So here are signals derived from this simple system-

This one is yesterday-

The are two charts- 3 minute ( insert both acme 1 and acme 2 default settings ) and a 10 minutes superimposed on top of the 3 minute one- but please note-THE 10 MINUTE CHART IS SET TO BE TRANSPARENT.

On the 10 minutes chart all you apply is acme trend 2.

Se here are the rules:

You only enter when both charts show the same color- no entry when there is a conflict. Thats it lol.

So in order to go long you need the 10 m to be blue, the 3 minutes dots ( acme trend 2 ) blue and the bars also to be blue- you just enter at the close of the bar.

You exit if the 3 min stops are breached.

I am not thrilled about the time frame 3 min and 10 , i prefer renko spectrum which is much more sensitive to moves without waiting so long but hey- if it works then...

I expect yo to test it and come back with some ideas to make it better.For example- you add the RL colored moving average on top.

One thing i like bout this indicator is that it does not repaint which is a huge flaw of many indicators that look so flawless.

You can see in the image the dots that are far from the chart and spaced more between are the 10 min, while the condensed one are the 3 min.

you can see that if you have taken all the signals you would have made a huge profit.

What i dont like about this system is that it loses on a choppy sideways day- but as we know- nothing is perfect.

basically they say that since the 3 min dots are your stops then the closest you can enter to them the lowers is your stop and better is the entry- you should not enter with stops more than 4 points and also-

DO NOT ENTER WHEN THE BARS ARE BIG - LARGE- wait for small bars they give you the ideal entry.

next post will show today's entry.

enjoy - and please post some feedback.

Traderbeauty-Jane

p.s forgot to mention that the time is california meaning 6:30 is 9:30 newyork

http://i.imgur.com/TMV1hUg.jpg

/

Do you have the educated link of acme for N8 ?

• 1 month later...