MTF price trajectory indicator

juicyt

Hi to all programmers.

Does anyone with some good programming knowledge believe they could make an indicator that could evaluate MTF trajectory in the market? So not just MTF alignment, but speed and time also. I'd image this would be a very hard task but if someone was interested I could help them with some further details before they start to see if they think it could be done. (and a reason why I am asking)

Regards, Juicyt

1) Do you have any formula or point me to one?

2) Any MTF indicator repaints (adjusts) on the lower time frame.

For example a 4hr indicator repaints (adjusts) on one hour based on the price movement.

So if you are clear with what your are thinking , please post your formula here.

I have 2 hours per week free time .Will try to do something.

Else , there are lot of good and smart people around some one will help you.

Thinking a little about it, and I have a feeling that a MTF analysis indicator that measures the distance that price is away from an MA should possibly work. It would need to check multiple timeframes (from 1min to weekly) and give an alert when price is a desired amount away from the MA on every time frame. That amount would obviously need to be adjusted for all time frames but if this sort of thing is possible, that's where I would start.

So my next question is, Is this type of thing possible? Maybe it is more of an EA rather than an indicator. Or maybe it needs to be a program all to itself. hmmmm the questions I have no answers to!

So thinking a little more, people have dashboard indicators so I guess it would need to be that type of indicator. One that you stick on a blank background and it checks the pairs for you. It could even light up a square for example as each time frame analysis hits the desired amount.

juicyt

Edited by juicyt

Hi juicyt,

This seemed like an interesting indicator so as I had some spare time I've had a go at coding it.

Here it is with template:

http://www.multiupload.com/MCC4C4B5E3

Here's a screenshot:

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/1149/mtfpricetraj.jpg

Distance from each MA can be set in the parameters. All are currently defaulted to 5 pips.

I think that is perfect. Very nice job, I have no idea how you can do it and do it so fast, but very nice. Check your PM.

Now I'll have to work out some settings to input! Thanks soundfx

What does the MAPrice input mean soundfx? It is currently on 0.

Regards

Edited by juicyt

Thanks Soundfx.

I think I have a problem. Once I change settings, the 15min indicators do not change. If I set it to 1 pip or 100 pips it remains lit on all pairs.

Any chance you can take a look? So if I alter settings too much it seems to all shift to red indicator lights on 15min TF and display nothing onanything else but weekly TF.

Regards

Edited by juicyt

Oops - there are always bugs which creep out of the woodwork like this :)

Here's a fixed version:

http://www.multiupload.com/OC72XD7SV5

Restart MT4 after copying into the indis directory for the new version to be picked up.

The only bug I noticed was in the 15m calculation - see how this one goes...

Edited by soundfx

Thanks again soundfx, now unfortunately we must play the waiting game. I set the indicator to this : m1-7pip, m5-30, m15-45, m30-65, 1hr-90, 4hr-160, d1-350, w1-600

This is strictly my observation and nothing more and things could and might need to be altered over a little time. But for now I'll see how it goes and see if the key TF's give alignment or trajectory.

juicyt

Hi juicyt,

I noticed that the indicator was going crazy with alerts today which were ringing on each new 1m candle where the MA separations lined up!, so I've tried to reduce these as much as possible. I also noticed that the alert time was showing as the time of the last alert for all pairs, so this has now been changed to work independently for each pair.

We get an alert when all t/f's match our MA separation rules. The problem is that price can bounce around these levels causing several alerts until it settles, if we want to reduce alerts further then we'd have to say something like, only alert on each new 5m, 15m or 30m candle or something like that. You can always turn off alerts in the parameters if they're annoying.

I've also changed the default MA separations to those which you recommended.

Here's the new version:

http://www.multiupload.com/3DOD9LABKY

Something I spotted today is that we need to be careful that we have historical data for all pairs. I ran the indicator on a new demo which had no history as yet for some of the more obscure pairs and I was getting incorrect signals (had me scratching my head for a while lol). You only need to do this once...Open a chart for each of the pairs and select each timeframe in turn so that MT4 pulls back the history data which is needed for the MA calculations.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a good idea for an indicator and for trading.

For resolving not having enough trades, one possible suggestion is willing to trade even not all timframes align, I may be willing to ignore the larger timeframes like weekly or even daily. For example, if I see M1, M5, M15, M30, H1 all align, but D1 and W1 do not, I may still be willing to go in for a smaller target profit trade, assuming the short term trajectory will hold on a while longer, at least long enough for may be a scalp of 10 to 15 pips.

I have not yet had time to try the indi that soundfx has so awesomely coded for us, but may be a possible suggestion for future update is an ability tell the indi to sound alarm based on alignment of only the specific timeframes one want to align. Maybe in the data input panel, can either check or uncheck a sub-set of the different timeframes. I know nothing about coding indis, so have no idea how difficult or how easy this suggestion is. So just ignore me if this idea is not useful or not doable.

BTW, juicyt and soundfx, I have read something similar to what I think you are trying to do, let me try to find that ebook again in my archive hard drive, I will upload and pm it to you two, perhaps it may be helpful.

Edited by dukeaugustus

If the longer TFs are going against you you are trading pullback. The next longer TF should be always in harmony with the TF you enter. That's insurance!

Hermes

However; many times those pullback change the trend of the higher time frame. Price is King. Well, not of the parasite type. We have to agree that the lower the time frame the closer to price it is. :D

Do you know that the most requested indicator in FF is for an indicator that display in text format on the screen of how many pips is price away from a particular moving average? No one tackle it that way. Codemeisterr, came out with Pips2Ma but never with the display which is the one always requested. When they do; they are send to Pips2Ma.

Anyhow, the distance of price from the moving average is something to look into it; as reversal points or sideways price behaviour.

Edited by 4xmeter

What timeframe/s and currency pair/s works best?

I do not know Vladv, first off I do not have a display text format on the screen indicator to analyze it. What I was saying; if it is requested a lot then it would be good to see if it is a value to it. What value? How price behave at certain distance +/- away from a particular moving average. Sorry, I am not a programmer. Manually, it will take time from my trading.

Edited by 4xmeter