Power levels trading

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The essence of option levels. Each market participant has a certain view on what is happening. It is expressed in the formation of a range of price movement in a certain period. Given that the strikes on EURUSD go in increments of 50 points, the ranges obtained very significant.

In the limit, all participants in the options market can be divided into buyers and sellers. Buyers rely on the breakdown of levels and sellers on the retreat. Buyers pay option premium, and sellers receive them.

As a result, the market formed an opinion of the crowd on the range of movement of EURUSD to options expiration, expressed in significant numbers of open interest on certain levels. Open interest - the number of open options positions for a given strike price. From the sense of call options, it turns out that their customers expect a price increase, in the case of the options put - for the fall. Thus, we can assume that the formation of significant open interest indicates the presence of certain areas of resistance and supports (call and put, respectively).

Option - the only tool that allows you to trade volatility, ie make a profit regardless of the direction of price movement. There are two types of such games - the buying and selling volatility. The name comes from the general meaning of action (either buying or selling an option). Both ways are good, but when you buy the risks are known in advance, and during the sale - is theoretically unlimited. The market is also widely believed that the volatility of buying fans, and professionals to sell it. And it is under a good reason - the sale of stock options are concentrated in large funds and banks. Their mission - to collect premiums and to prevent breakout level before the option expiration. As a rule, they do it. Ways to protect the level of many, the most simple - the creation of support and resistance on the subject security, in our case - EURUSD.

If market forces begin to move the price against the sellers of options (and for the benefit of consumers, respectively), can occur so-called break-through optional levels. How to determine the critical time for the option seller? Site Exchange CME CME Group - Futures & Options Trading for Risk Management addition of open interest can be seen and the price of options. In fact, this award. In the example above, with the shares of ABC, I showed how to calculate the level when the optional position can give profit to the buyer the option. He is also the beginning of a panic for the seller the option. Take a example. 02.25.2008 options call 1.4850 EURUSD traded with a premium 71 points. That is, the buyer's option price is above 1.4921 makes a profit, and for the option seller - a loss. To cover losses, the seller is a call option begins to open futures positions on EURUSD in the direction of motion, only increasing growth. Actually, what happened 2/26/2008. In the case of a put option is the opposite. The only drawback to this method of calculation of critical levels - from information on the CME site, we can not with all certainty to know how many options on what price have been sold. We see only the open, high, low, close.

Now, I hope, that you understand the mechanism of optional level .

Enjoying the open interest. If it is near or above 1000, then we can talk about the formation of the optional level. The more interesting the more level will be.

Look to options for the next month, not forgetting that they expire on the first Friday of the month. For example, options MAR08 expire on Friday March 7. A week or two before the expiration beginning to explore options for the next month, to understand the sentiment.

The calculation using the change looks better. I met a guy in other forun, and he teach me a easy way to use options open interest, given that the strikes on EURUSD go in increments of 50 points, the ranges obtained very significant levels, and the chart of 18/02/2011 will look this way. More large the lines, more openinterest on it.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4392/50points.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like cluster of support and resistance at these levels calculated from different Timeframes. Perhaps use Pivot scanner from fxalgotrader. ( there is an educated version on this forum... need to search.)

You tube video on this scanner is here:

If you guys are looking for the FX AlgoTrader Pivot scanner don't bother. Even if you do get hold of an illegal copy it will be missing all the library and sound files so you won't get any value out of it. I wish people wouldn't rip off copyrighted software and make such a mess of it. It's bad for my image!

If anyone wants to talk seriously about pivot confluence detection I am happy to discuss. If you want to rip off my software and distribute it to all your loser mates I will gladly refer your details to FAST (Federation against software theft) You can tell who's making money on this forum. It aint the people who spend they're time ripping off 50-100 buck packages. That's the profit on a small scalp trade!

Edited by fxalgotrader

You can tell who's making money on this forum. It aint the people who spend they're time ripping off 50-100 buck packages. That's the profit on a small scalp trade!

So the people copying and downloading your indicators aren't the ones making money? So basically you just said your indicators are shite and the only person making money is you from goods sales.

So the people copying and downloading your indicators aren't the ones making money? So basically you just said your indicators are shite and the only person making money is you from goods sales.

Chris,

Talk to my customers if you want. I'm happy to refer you. I want my customers to make money as they buy more tools. I'll help them as much as possible to be successful. If they don't know how to use the products properly they'll never get any value. If my customers don't make money or see value in my tools they wouldn't use them or buy more so I wouldn't be able to exist.

The fact people on these forums are looking out for my tools indicates they have value to traders. As I've said before, taking revenue away from my development business by ripping off my intellectual property is short sighted as I'll pack up and stop developing. You'll run one of the few decent outfits out of town!

I've been doing this for 6 years and I know the market well. I know where all the pit falls are. I spent years looking at charts and searching for holy grail trading systems. I can save new traders a lot of wasted time and effort but only if they're capable of putting some work in and opening up to the realities of this business.

I am not a rip off merchant like the majority of EA developers. I develop affordable, properly coded, decision support TOOLS for serious traders. I do not market automated black boxes which promise to make you millions off a 500 buck starting equity. Look at my arbitrage product - the page is full of warnings telling newbies to stay clear. Idiots who don't know how arbs work are more trouble than they're worth from a support point of view. Serious experienced traders on the other hand are a joy to work with. They know what the market is capable of and their expectations are realistic.

Please judge my business on it's products and customer service rather than tarring me with the same brush as low life FX shysters who sell rubbish.

Thanks for the detailed response. I wan't having a go at you by the way.

I believe you are different from the other sellers and that your not a scammer. But the only one of your indicators that I've personally ever found use for were the pivot points, but since there are so many free pivot point indicators out there I found no desire to buy yours (and I haven't downloaded them illegally either).

Look at my arbitrage product - the page is full of warnings telling newbies to stay clear. Idiots who don't know how arbs work are more trouble than they're worth from a support point of view.

If the trials are available I may pay double or triple or more for quality tools... And you may stop thinking that it is the place for ripoff you and your business... For me it is the place for possible trials. Simple ehh

read the thread lol... one more time...

To get the levels using the following formula:

dowload the CME bulletin, go to best put and call options based on open interest, more than 1000 its a good one.

to Call: Strike/1000 + Settle * 10;

for Put: Strike/1000-Settle * 10.

You watched the column Change, so you and get a level 6068. If we take the data from column Settle, we get the following: 6000 +2.65 * 10 = 6026.5 with regard to rounding 6027 - all right there is no error.

Thank you very much for the explanation. I'm very intrigued with these levels. Have a question though...

I found a spreadsheet for USDJPY but not one for EURUSD and GBPUSD. Would you mind sharing yours please as I'm useless with Excel/OpenOffice Calc...

Many thanks in advance!

John

Thank you very much for the explanation. I'm very intrigued with these levels. Have a question though...

I found a spreadsheet for USDJPY but not one for EURUSD and GBPUSD. Would you mind sharing yours please as I'm useless with Excel/OpenOffice Calc...

Many thanks in advance!

John

Its here http://www.multiupload.com/ZZE5KR18A3

Guest desitrader
Hi every one, Im back with some news. I find in a russian site a guy who sold this options levels method for 800 usd. WTF? But you know guys, i always find for free. Its a excel spreadsheet, just copy of CMEloader dailystatament and paste at the bottom under the old. If someone need help.

http://www.multiupload.com/ZZE5KR18A3

But where are the levels?

Guest desitrader
Perhaps, I wasnt very clear. I got this russian spreadsheet and updated data from CME Loader. Again many thanks for sharing these tools. However, after updating, I still dont know where are the levels which should be used as PLs?

Guest desitrader
This fxalgo guy is so annoying. Let's rip his products apart. Let's share links where his products have been EDUCATED and see what his FA*RT oops FAST company can do about it. He's a snakeoil merchant with attitude that stinks........

• 3 weeks later...
Guest desitrader

Hi Guys,

This has been around for a while, can anyone share what their results have been. I have been having mixed results using just the open interest field. Observed the max change ones as well, and that one doesnt appear to be better than Open interest.

Also, can anyone confirm these levels are same or close to what wisdom has been sharing - sort of like corroboration?

One more thing im having is that some of the levels I calculate with highest open interest are like 500 to 800 pips away from current spot, and there is noway market will go that far within a week?

Also, the russian spreadsheet is useless, it gives you wrong levels which are even 2000 pips away from spot. Calculate them manually over here.