Flow in Programming of EA

johnjet

Hello guys. I'm new in programming in MQL4 but I have some idea about C++ language :D

I am currently writing my first EA but I am stuck.

I was wondering if someone could share with me on the flow of an EA? This is what I had in mind. Please correct me if the order is wrong or I'm missing something.

start()

{

// First section to identify signal based on trading system and output a string with buy/sell indicator

// Second section to identify if there are any open orders, and maybe close orders if signal is showing opposite direction

// Third section to place an order if there are no open orders and fulfil the signal criteria

}

Thanks!!

Its best to use separate methods for each section or subsection rather than placing it all in the start method; it just helps to keep the code clean and allows you to run the method several times throughout the code.

Also I would say check open trades before checking entry signals, then use an if statement to make sure that the entry signals are only checked if a trade is not open. This makes it more efficient.