The F0rex Volcano

Seems like a spread betting system

see comments on website

: "Good evening. A year or so ago I began spread betting with mixed results. As soon as I saw your method, I could see its potential. The simplicity is IT for me. No way will you be getting your book returned!" Geoff"

Vinpiper

Spread betting in the UK = Forex trading in other parts of the world.

Spread betting is forex trading, it means the same thing.

That's what they refer to it as in the United Kingdom.

Spread betting is forex trading, it means the same thing.

That's what they refer to it as in the United Kingdom.

No, it's not. Spread betting is, well, betting, and not trading. So, it is classified as gambling and therefore winnings are tax free for UK residents. 'Brokers' offer not only to go long or short but different kind of bets like Binaries for example. So spread betting strategies can not always be traded one to one with a forex broker, if at all.

Google IGINDEX.

Read the descriptions on the results.

You'll notice the term financial spread betting used in many places.

Travel onto the IGINDEX site.

IGINDEX is a rather large financial spread betting firm in the UK.

You can learn more about what spread betting means.

They teach you from scratch about what spread betting is and what it's not.

It will be a good, educational learning experience.

And, there is some information on binaries as well.

Well, it's more like a disclaimer on binaries.

Anyways, it is what it is.

Have fun! ;)

Almost forgot, below are 2 helpful sites on the topic of financial spread betting.

financial-spread-betting.com

Everything you want to know about financial spread betting is on this site.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_betting

Pay attention to the point that is made on the wikipedia site:

In the UK, spread betting is regulated by the Financial Services Authority (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_Services_Authority) rather than the Gambling Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambling_Commission).

Financial spread betting firms in the UK are the equivalent of

Securities, CFDs, and Forex trading companies elsewhere.

And, that is why they are regulated by the FSA and NOT the Gambling Commission.

I hope the information helps!

Thank you for the wikipedia link! Did you read it yourself? Wondering why the author used 'wagering' and 'bookmaker' all the time instead of 'trading' and 'broker'? Spread betting profits are tax free in the UK as those aren't from trades, but from bets, and taxing those wouldn't be lucrative, but expensive. Regulation by the FSA doesn't change that.

But who cares? Your statement that spread betting in the UK would be the same as forex trading elsewhere is just plain wrong. Spread betting companies and forex brokers are not equivalent and, more importantly, their offerings differ.

Helping other traders to avoid unnecessary expenses for useless products is one of this forum's strengths. My post was just a warning, that spread betting strategies may not be tradable one to one with a regular forex broker as your comment suggested.

That was the only reason for my reply, a discussion about spread betting is not of interest to me. Yours is the last word.

www.financial-spread-betting.com

"Financial spread betting is a leveraged tool that gives investors the opportunity to trade the financial markets without ever taking physical ownership of the underlying instrument. This means that the trader/investor can speculate in the direction of any financial instrument, whether it is specific shares, currencies, commodities or indices without ever owning them. In the financial markets there are standard contract sizes. For example for the FTSE 100 index contract the standard market size is £10. With financial spread betting the investor nominates his own stake size, for example £2 per point. The bet is settled as the difference between the purchase and the sell price."

For what it's worth, yes, I believe there are differences between forex trading companies and spread betting companies.

If you want to get technical, we can say that the way lot sizes are calculated, as per forex trading, differs from the way spread betting companies calculate those sizes, as you would mark your risk as a bet amount, for instance a 5Pound bet.

Either way, if you are practicing good money management, you would calculate your risk nearly the same way, whether it be forex trading or forex spread betting.

On the subject of forex spread betting as opposed to forex trading, basically you are doing the same thing. If you are going long, you want to buy in at a low price, and close higher to gain a profit, and vice versa for short trades.

Whether you are a technical trader, fundamental trader, or play both fields, the same rules apply to trading and spread betting. You usually need a trading system and money management plan to follow.

The major differences I see are tax advantages, as forex trading, with a forex broker, is taxable, as opposed to forex spread betting, which is 100% tax-free in the UK.

You can call it what you want, forex trading, forex spread betting, but ultimately, you are doing the same thing. Buy low, sell high. Sell high, buy low. I guess the rest is up to the person initiating the trades or bets. Trade it and it's called forex trading, bet it and it's called forex spread betting.

So, what is the real difference?

The spread betting company structures your deal as a bet,

hence that is where the tax advantages kick in.

In any case, regarding the volcano deal, the author shows the profit and loss results for his system as a PipWin and PipLoss, with a 30 Pip Stop Loss, contract size of 10Pounds per Pip.

Once again, you can call it what you want, but ultimately you are doing the same thing, whether it be forex trading or forex spread betting.

Knowledge + Education is powerful.

Would you want to pass up an opportunity to learn more about volcano, because you decided that it seems like a spread betting system? Better yet, would you let volcano slide because your ego got in the way of your logical thinking, and clouded your judgment, due to what you thought you knew about the meaning of spread betting?!

I am just trying to help out, not belittle anyone.

It may come across as being harsh, but sometimes one must raise his or her voice to make a point.

IGINDEX is a great place to learn more about the differences and/or similarities between forex trading and forex spread betting.

Visit the site below:

http://www.igindex.co.uk/spread-betting/forex-faqs.html

Scroll down to How does spread betting on currencies work?

Still have questions? Or, still in disbelief of the differences and/or similarities between forex trading and forex spread betting, open an account at IGINDEX (it won't cost you anything:you don't need to make a deposit), and compare the forex feed prices, collection of technical analysis tools, news feeds, etc. You will see first hand that almost everything is identical at your spread betting firm, as per comparison at your forex trading company.

Sorry for being inconsequent and still replying. But you must be kidding!? Did you even read what I have posted? Do you even understand what you are posting? I can't sit on my hands while you are posting wrong information that others may believe in!

My point and reason to post was, that if you are using a regular forex broker you may not be able to follow a spread trading strategy without opening a spread betting account! So beware if you are interested in buying such a strategy but don't intend to change your current broker! Do I have to post that message in capital letters until you read and maybe respond to it?

Or may I be wrong? Let's say you are using alpari.co.uk (FSA regulated) and let's say the Euro trades at 1.2350. According to the spread betting strategy you want to put up a bet that the Euro won't trade below 1.2300 for the rest of the day. What are you gonna do? Buying? Selling?

craven, I am looking forward to hearing from you! But without copying some useless text, please!

Ummm...

That's not how it works, silly.

Show me a strategy that has you settings bets like that.

You're better of tossing a coin.

Are you getting mixed up with fixed-odds?

That sounds more like what you just gave an example for.

In any case, I have confirmed with the seller that his

strategy is indeed a forex trading strategy.

There were hints, like PipWin/PipLoss, 30 Pip Stop Loss, 10Pounds per pip, etc.

Contrary to what you may think forex spread betting is,

it is a far cry from what you are describing.

You're getting people confused.

Now, I was trying to be helpful, gave links to IGINDEX, and

financial-spread-betting.com, wiki.

In my last post, the link to IGINDEX explains the differences between forex spread betting and forex trading, written in layman's terms, so we can all get a grip of the

point behind all of this.

Guess it wasn't worth your time to look.

But, let's leave it at that.

I don't want to get carried away on this thread.

To each is own, go figure, and it is what it is.

Have a wonderful day! ;)

Guys,

I live in the UK and have had spread betting accounts with CityIndex, CapitalSpreads and now IgIndex. I also run forex accounts through several conventional brokers.

Spread betting for sure has massive tax advantages for full-time traders in the UK as all gains are non-taxable, however if all your income is coming from spread betting and you never pay a penny to the taxman he has the right to take a different view.

You may think I'm crazy to use conventional forex brokers at all, however there are two main reasons for doing this:

1) I can run automated trading systems.

2) I prefer the MT4 trading interface to a lot of the rubbish you see with spread betting co's.

The key difference between the way that the brokers operate is this:

A Spread betting company is simply a "middleman" who runs a book (just like conventional bookmakers for horse racing etc.), they match off buyers with sellers in their own book. With regards Forex trading, no money from anyone betting ever sees the actual interbank forex market. You could be betting on the FTSE, or who wins the World Cup instead of Forex it doesn't matter - the principle remains the same. This is why you trade with stakes like £1 per pip or £1 per goal scored or whatever.

A forex broker actually buys and sells currencies in the interbank market - this is why you trade in "lots" of currency where 1 standard lot equates to $100,000 traded in the interbank market. The leverage that you get with Forex brokers, saves you having to have that amount of cash available to trade with.

Typically the bucket shops end up running a book in similar way to the spread betting companies to keep their risk low. They match off all the trades they can and then place what's leftover with a block trade in the interbank market, at the same time hedging that block with another institution. This is aside from any fun and games where they look for small accounts and assume that these are novice traders, so they often place trades against these guys en-masse with the knowledge that they've a 95% chance of getting it right (simply because 95% of traders end up losing). In addition, if they know that some of their bigger traders are consistently profitable then they trade with them!

Polaris is correct to be alerting us to the differences between some systems which are designed by traders in the UK only to be used with spread betting companies. There are two main types:

1) Binary Betting - which is impossible to replicate in conventional Forex trading.

2) A mixture of Forex bets and Index bets (such as the FTSE and Dow).

BTW - I'd be very interested to see what Forex Volcano is all about too, though I believe it is supplied as a printed manual and actual DVDs which means that it's not going to be quickly available in electronic format.

Edited by soundfx

Polaris is correct to be alerting us to the differences between some systems which are designed by traders in the UK only to be used with spread betting companies. There are two main types:

1) Binary Betting - which is impossible to replicate in conventional Forex trading.

2) A mixture of Forex bets and Index bets (such as the FTSE and Dow).

Thanks soundfx,

At least one did get the essence of my posts. Tried to make it clear in every one of them in this thread but obviously failed.

The heads-up that not every spread betting approach is tradable with conventional fx brokers was just a reaction to the post suggesting spread betting firms and fx brokers would be one and the same. Nothing to do with Forex Volcano in particular nor anything against it or any other spread betting strategy or spread betting in general. Best of luck getting it!

Ah, at last, a somewhat intelligent comment.

Binary betting, or otherwise known as fixed-odds, is what your friend has been referring to all along starting with his first reply and following through with his other comments and example, claiming that it's gambling and not trading, and the whatnot.

-----

Fixed-odds is not the same as spread betting. Didn't I ask ya a lil' while back if you were referring to fixed-odds?!

On the other hand, you have spread betting, whereas, you can set stops and limits just like in forex trading, or any other financial instrument that the spread betting firm offers, and your profit and loss would be dependent upon your speculative decisions.

Although both forms fall into the master category of betting, one is very different from the other.

Get all your facts straight, sweetheart.

What you've been depicting this entire time is that apples (binary or fixed-odds) and oranges (spread) are the same. Now, they may fall under the same master category of fruits (betting), but one is very different from the other.

Why do you think they call it SPREAD betting?! @-)

Hint: there is usually a SPREAD on the underlying instrument.

Hint2: Bid/Ask, Bid/Offer, Sell/Buy, Short/Long.

Now, as it pertains to Volcano, I don't see any mention of binary betting and/or fixed-odds mentioned on their site. I do, however, see forex trading and spread betting mentioned on the site.

If you didn't know the meaning of spread betting, binary betting, fixed-odds, or whatever else you have no knowledge of, wouldn't common sense tell you to go do your homework before you go rambling on and on about jibberish you thought you knew?! You have an internet connection, right?! And, didn't I hand you the educational links?!

Better yet, if it didn't mention binary betting and/or fixed-odds, but there was mention of forex trading and spread betting, wouldn't that be an obvious sign that the two may be somewhat similar or related?!

And, if it didn't mention binary betting and/or fixed-odds, but there was mention of forex trading and spread betting, why would you waste everyone's time rambling on about fixed-odds?! 'Cause that's what you were doing, confusing people!!

Anyways, I enjoy debating with people. I believe it brings out the best or worst in people, and it usually brings their moral values to the table. Now, I can take being wrong, and I believe myself to be considerate enough to apologize when at fault, and if and when that happens, it usually does (if not almost always), teach me something new and it becomes another learning experience for me.

KEEP IT REAL.

• 1 year later...

I have spreadbetted FX pairs for 8 years, and I use real FX charts to trade off, not the spreadbet ones as they are normally quite poor and not as good as the MT4 ones, the only difference I can see (apart from Tax free profits) is a pip here and there between the chart movement. So I agree with Craven.

Now that's settled, can anyone share this system please? :)

• 1 month later...