Anyone can share a DLL Decompiler?

dinj

Guys,

As I understand things, there's no all encompassing decompiler which will turn back DLL files into easily readable source code.

For example, you can't take a DLL which is compiled with C++ and expect to be able to decompile it back to C++ source code. I believe that the reason for this is the lower level nature of the languages which are used to compile DLLs in the first place which means that the DLL code is too similar in parts for the decompiler to know whether it came from C++ or C# or whatever and hence can't convert back to that source code.

I think the Hex-Rays decompiler is supposed to be one of the better ones, however because we can't decompile as such, the code is "disassembled" - meaning that you end up with a form of source code in assembler language - which is a nightmare to read and understand unless you're an expert in this.

Birt is the expert on this stuff, though I think he's quite busy at the moment.

Check out this thread for a bit more info:

http://indo-investasi.com/showthread.php/3009-Decompile-Dll-Files

Here's the Hex-Rays decompiler (don't ask me how it works! lol):

http://hotfile.com/dl/39275496/b611d03/IDA_Pro_Advanced_v5.5.incl_Hex_Rays_Decompiler_v1.1.rar.html

Edited by soundfx
link added

If DLL was complied with DOT.NET - it is possible to decompile it

up to source code. Search Reflector decompiler - it's doing the job.

However, I've tried to decompile some DLLs for NinjaTrader

(which are written in some flavour of C#.NET) without much luck.

It could grab only the headers of each function,

but not the body.

Not sure, what the problem is, I'm not expecrt.

There are lots of freeware decompilers avaialble, like Boomerang

and others, and I've tried many of them.

Unfortunately, none of them could deliver a proper results,

unless you compile your own C++ code and then - try to decompile it.

Tks fellas.

I went on a bit with it yesterday, and I came to a point where I ended up disassembling a EA dll into programming language. The problem is, it was in Delphi and I'm not good at it. I think in the end, reverse engeneering lies in knowing all the programming languages well.

Cpuld you share at least the name of the tool

to decompile Delphi dll?

It was the one shared a couple posts above by soundfx. IDA Pro

First I used a tool called PEiD. It's a free tool that doesn't have any function except identifying what it was compiled on.

The IDA tool let's you see the code disassembled (not decompiled)... From what I understood, the difference is that when you write code on some programs and compile it, what some compilers do is removing a ton of stuff that doesn't matter and reorganizes the code to make it more efficient. The problem is, when you decompile it, it's completly different looking and harder to understand what the hell is going on inside But, a person than understands the language, is just a matter of time until he understans it, which I'm not one.

• 3 years later...
It was the one shared a couple posts above by soundfx. IDA Pro

First I used a tool called PEiD. It's a free tool that doesn't have any function except identifying what it was compiled on.

The IDA tool let's you see the code disassembled (not decompiled)... From what I understood, the difference is that when you write code on some programs and compile it, what some compilers do is removing a ton of stuff that doesn't matter and reorganizes the code to make it more efficient. The problem is, when you decompile it, it's completly different looking and harder to understand what the hell is going on inside But, a person than understands the language, is just a matter of time until he understans it, which I'm not one.

yes.its tough.you need to have sound knowledge on assembly and hex etc.