Share Your Favorite Trend Indicators

jtimpson

I've found that Trading with the Trend is one of the most important principles to success. With that in mind, I thought I'd facilitate an exchange of ideas on what indicators/methods are the best for determining TREND.

I like the Hull Moving Average. It seems to get me into the trade a bar or two earlier than other moving averages. It changes color to reveal a change in trend (DOES NOT REPAINT!) and I was pleased to see that it was quite stable, rather than some MA's that jitterbug back and forth.

For shorter term perspective, I go with a parameter of 20 or 27. For longer term, 72.

I also like to filter trades with MACD (See the Golden MACD download link in the MACD Color Change thread). I used the standard settings 12,26,9 for shorter term swings and MACD Diff 60,80,120 for a longer term perspective.

I'm also investigating crossovers of OBV and a 30 period simple MA of OBV for confirmation... but this is just good for stocks and futures as Forex doesn't compute volume.

Also, it's not an indicator, but I'm keenly aware of the 1-2-3 pattern as explained in the book "Trader Vic- Methods of a Wall Street Master", pg74-84, ISBN 0-471-30497-2. I love to see a 1-2-3 play out, right before the start of a new trend. Can even use a 1-2-3 to move your stop up in a position you're already in. For those who are not aware of this pattern, briefly, here's an example. You have a new high, then a retracement, and then a test of the new high. If price is rejected at the high (can break it slightly) and then breaks the retracement low, there's a good chance the trend had changed. This concept seems SIMPLE, but I have found it invaluable in my many years of trading.

Would love to hear what your favorite trend indicators/methods are and if they're obscure, a mq4 link appreciated!

Re: Share your favorite TREND indicators!

I also use ATR crossing above its SMA on pairs sensitive to the Europe/US trading hours, such as EURGBP, EURUSD, and GBPUSD. On M15 chart I use ATR(40) with its SMA(21), and on M5 chart ATR(120) with SMA(34). This can filter out quite a few of sideways trading periods and help to get into a true trend.

Re: Share your favorite trend indicators!

And I personally use i-Regr indicator.A lot of traders blame it that its repaints like crazy but if you know how to read it is great indicator showing the trend earlier then other indicators.

Can you share the indicator? And how to use that.

Thank you very much.

And I personally use i-Regr indicator.A lot of traders blame it that its repaints like crazy but if you know how to read it is great indicator showing the trend earlier then other indicators.

I Agree...

Don't panic with re-paint if you know how to read and driving it :-bd

Status repaint give you earlier signal.. but you don't entry market if other signal (No-repaint) not same with repaint signal

Filter repaint .. you can use eg. Pattern Candle, Candle Stick model, oscilator like CCI, Fast Stoch, MTF MACD , etc but Don't use filter repaint also.. your system can give error information hahahaha...

this picture below is either my best system (10000% no Repaint.. =)) ) .. i'm sorry .not share for anyone. but i can give for who dedicated in this forum (Second gift.. free)

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/5589/hidrolic.gif

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6554/hidro2.gif

SEFC Mode= Red light ...(off) ..

"Indonesia Forex Community"

Yup, that's obvious 100% no repaint indicator as it is based on closed candles. I was looking for some time over one indi performance. This indi produces colored candles instead of usual, so I was using this indi on H1 timeframe with trending pairs (EURUSD, GBPUSD, GBPJPY) and crosses (GBPCHF for example) with success.

It's like a Heiken Ashi indi, same averaging principle, but different.

The requirement here, though, is that it's a manual job to observe the chart and it requires enough [huge] patience to be applied. Here is this indi: http://www.4shared.com/file/204235174/7a04bf85/Pallada_Bars.html

No pass.

• 7 months later...
Guest fxprofits

SEFC,

This is a sharing forum.. Please learn to really share.. share this with us..

I Agree...

Status repaint give you earlier signal.. but you don't entry market if other signal (No-repaint) not same with repaint signal

Filter repaint .. you can use eg. Pattern Candle, Candle Stick model, oscilator like CCI, Fast Stoch, MTF MACD , etc but Don't use filter repaint also.. your system can give error information hahahaha...

this picture below is either my best system (10000% no Repaint.. =)) ) .. i'm sorry .not share for anyone. but i can give for who dedicated in this forum (Second gift.. free)

Guest fxprofits

What settings do u use for i-regr?? what timeframe for short term and long term.. which pairs? and would you please explain how to read it? or do u use a filter? please help..

Guest fxprofits

What settings do u use for i-regr?? what timeframe for short term and long term.. which pairs? and would you please explain how to read it? or do u use a filter? please help..

Originally Posted by Kaishakunin

I Agree...

BRO?CAn u share this system?look interesting...plsz