Hedging or Scalping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hedging or Scalping?

Every trader have different strategy when trading. So, what do you prefer to use, Hedging or Scalping? And why do you use it? Let's share here.

No one who has not shared here. Maybe I could start it. I prefer scalping than hedging. Because I can get a larger number of pips in a short time. And leverage provided by my broker is also very suitable for scalping.

Comment

Scalping for me all the way. I trade in a very short time frame with a couple of positions open simultaneously. It feels more hands on, and I like the thrill of it. I'm just glad my broker, profiforex, offers a 0.7 spread on the USD/EUR pair. I've never actually tried hedging, I hope someone who does could share his/her experience.

Comment

Why would hedging(same pair) be an alternative to scalping in the first place?
        Hedging comes into play when you don't know what to do with your open position...it might even be a scalp trade that went wrong direction.
        But if you mean to hedge i.e. a long eurusd with a long usdchf, that's what I'm doing from time to time (also eurjpy and chfjpy in opposite direction)

Comment

Originally posted by dudeE View Post
          Scalping for me all the way. I trade in a very short time frame with a couple of positions open simultaneously. It feels more hands on, and I like the thrill of it. I'm just glad my broker, profiforex, offers a 0.7 spread on the USD/EUR pair. I've never actually tried hedging, I hope someone who does could share his/her experience.
          It's low spread and very suitable for scalping. I also prefer to do scalping. If we can take advantage of market movement, we can get huge pips in short time.

Originally posted by iwjw View Post
          Why would hedging(same pair) be an alternative to scalping in the first place?
          Hedging comes into play when you don't know what to do with your open position...it might even be a scalp trade that went wrong direction.
          But if you mean to hedge i.e. a long eurusd with a long usdchf, that's what I'm doing from time to time (also eurjpy and chfjpy in opposite direction)
          Right, and thanks for sharing, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaban View Post
            Every trader have different strategy when trading. So, what do you prefer to use, Hedging or Scalping? And why do you use it? Let's share here.

Why are you considering hedging as a possible strategy? Hedging is often done by businesses and big institutions to protect themselves against adverse price movements. It is more a 'defensive' measure to protect against losses.

Scalping is a viable trading method but you must be aware that it requires you to be looking at the charts for prolonged periods of time as it involves trading on very short timeframes. Trading opportunities present themselves on very short notice.

If that is not your cup of tea, perhaps you might want to consider trading on higher timeframes such as H1, H4 or Daily. Trading on hese timeframes does not require you to look at the charts often. For example, trading on Daily charts requires you to look at the charts maybe twice a day - once in the morning and once at night to manage the trade.

Comment

My Questions:

1.) What is your typical TP & SL for Scalping?
              2.) What is the ratio of your Winning Trade Vs Losing Trade for Scalping?
              3.) Are you trading with Fixed Lot? or MM?

Comment

I believe scalping involves a lot of trades in a day, trying to get small profits from each trade by taking advantage of the bid/ask spread.

One benefit that scalping has is the risk is much lower than traditional trading methods.

You can also lose all hard earned profits in a single trade. So we need to be careful when dealing with scalping because there is NO PERFECT STRATEGY.

Comment

Originally posted by tonnymak View Post
                  I believe scalping involves a lot of trades in a day, trying to get small profits from each trade by taking advantage of the bid/ask spread.

One benefit that scalping has is the risk is much lower than traditional trading methods.

You can also lose all hard earned profits in a single trade. So we need to be careful when dealing with scalping because there is NO PERFECT STRATEGY.
                  If you risk 15, 20% or even 30% of your trading capital for a single trade of scalping. I do not think that the risk is lower than other trading methods. One thing that I agreed with you is " There is no perfect strategy"..
                  Last edited by apple1937; 26-04-13, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaban View Post
                    I more prefferer SCALPING-Martingle + Cut and Switch Risk Management; the reasson the change you will survive and your account growth its more big rather you used a hedging strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by tonnymak View Post

Scalping means to jump into a trade and jump back out within a 5 minute period. It has nothing to do with the frequency of trades during the day.

Comment

The term scalping may conjure up images of someone removing the enemy's hair as a trophy, or the guy standing outside a sold out concert selling tickets for an inflated profit.
                        Forex scalping is almost as scary, but definitely comes with a huge adrenaline rush - and possibly, quick profit.
                        Forex scalpers need to increase their per pip dollar value to extract similar profit from more conservative transactions where the cost per pip was lower, and the risk was lower. In other words, the risk to reward ratio is potentially heavier toward the risks. However, Traders who are primarily scalpers may disagree with this statement.
                        Scalpers user tight stop loss limits as a strategy to minimize loss should the trade go negatively. Tight stops means little play for a market that moves in an up down motion toward a target. Scalpers therefore may be stopped out of many trades that were going in the direction they anticipated, racking up large losses.

Comment

I think hedging is not good approach to manage your risk. Traders usually do that if positions has moved against them and they hedge it. It`s like locking the loss.

Scalping is what I do. My EA gives me signals and then I will decide by watching the price action what to do.

For scalping you have to choose a broker whose trading costs are low.

Comment

Scalping is better for me too, fast trades, less stress, controlled result, the only thing is to avoid news and not stable market and currencies

Comment

Don't bother arguing with the anti-hedging clique.
                              I use similar strategy and it works for me. MACD divergence is a guaranteed money maker.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              Working...
                              X