Fill the Gaps with Guts!

Gaps, especially down are very sound strategy. The best is probably no SL, no TP strategy: e.g. after gap down open a sell and close it before market close on evening, it doesn't matter what result. You will be more right then sorry. Best days are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Monday worst, Friday good only for down gaps! If gap is more than 50 pips forget it! Fill gap with 50% TP and twice SL. E,g, gap 38 pips: TP 19 pips and SL 38x2=76 pips. Best results on 5M to 30M charts.

Gaps are VACUUMS which will eventually fill up. Good with support of RSI indicator. Best, enter on open of candle.

There is a software for gap trading but only for stocks. Would be good to have one also for Forex.

Cheers Hermes

Edited by hermes

. . . e.g. after gap down open a sell and close it before market close on evening, it doesn't matter what result. You will be more right then sorry. . . .

Thanks Hermes for your research and nice share.

I have not studied or traded gap trades before. But I was under the impression that after a gap "down", you would expect the price to fill the gap, so that means expect the price to move "up"; and in that case shouldn't I want to "buy" instead of "sell"? I am probably missing something obvious in what you just taught.

Edited by dukeaugustus

No you are right! Down gap means that you have to buy because the gap will fill up (vacuum). The gaps down are more successful to trade like the gaps up (sell to fill up the gap)) because of trading fear. Irrational fear sales (bad news, later not so bad and consolidation) make drop the market faster than get rid of long position before reverse. Some traders trade only gaps down (buy) because more rewarding strategy.

Hermes

Edited by hermes

Yeah I trade gaps from time to time as an extra strategy. This is successfull most of the time. Especially eurusd. But 2 weeks ago I think it was, the gap never closed. It just kept going down. So be carefull. Hermes in that case at what point do u climb out. Any suggestions

Btw I also took the one this morning. Knew it was gonna be a sweet ride back down.

Don't trade too big gaps and fill just half of it - it is enough. When we want too much we lose even the little we have. When the gap is 80 pips take only 40pips and run. Even larger gaps will fill sometimes but you have to wait longer. Patience is recommended at trading, anyway. Small TFs like 5-15-30M are recommended.

Hermes

For higher TFs you have to wait longer because it takes a day or week or month! Use always a SL is a good idea.

That is also true that if the currency is in steady decline the gap will not fill up. Therefore, trade only major (6) pairs gaps, not a second class.

Hermes

With the Greek election this weekend, and just about every forex-related email I have been getting is talking about expected volatility, this is likely another Monday with some impressive gaps for us to play with?!

I am very tempted to put on a straddle trade before the election, but I am worried about my broker either not filling my order, or taking out my stop with excessive sized spread (like 20 plus pips spread, which I have seen on oanda during news events).

My broker oanda even sent out an unusual email telling us they will suspend order taking over the late Sunday time period, (in order to *cough* protect us traders from ourselves). Ha.

Just curious, is anyone else also considering a weekend straddle trade? If so, any suggestion on how are you doing it?