Near perfect indicator. Too good to be true?

vx13

Links to RSI EMA MTF v1.2 indicator at the bottom of post.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2724/holygrailsignals.gif

You can see here that there are damn good signals from this indicator.

But it takes its cues from a timeframe several tfs above.

It isn't necessarily "repainting" because the signal is technically confirmed on the next higher tf candle. So in this example, the arrows are confirmed every hour.

On the lower tf (the 5 minute tf in this case), it repaints heavily. It can repaint up to 12 bars back which is absolutely crazy :))

The signals look fantastic until you realize how they work.

Maybe there's a way to stop the arrows from being removed?

I looked at the code and it doesn't seem simple because the code was designed to target the upper tf.

...or I'm just a terrible coder (which I am).

In the MT4 Strategy Tester, it does not repaint whatsoever. I don't know how but it works amazingly.

Using it with the LFH Tester on MT4, I had no losing trades.

This technically doesn't repaint but this indicator has amazing potential.

Is it possible to stop the indicator from repainting on the lower tf? [-O<

http://www.mediafire.com/?zhm8xc6ljjnrr3c (Thanks to Diesel 10)

http://zalil.ru/30728586 (thanks to lgsony)

Edited by vx13

Sorry, friend. I just downloaded and compiled the indicator and it ran perfectly

It's honestly just a RSI with an EMA on it so if you can run RSIs and EMAs, you should be able to run this bad boy!

And any news on the repaint issue?

I've been looking at it and it's just the way the indicator and strategy is structured that makes it difficult. Any creative way around it?

Hi Vx13,

I can't say 100% if it can or can't be done, but i was going to take a guess i would say it can't... The obvious way to do it would be to change the TF to 5min lol, but of course the signals would not look as pretty as compared to having the 1hour on the 5min. Other then that i have no idea as i am pretty much brain dead when it comes to coding....I can do some basic stuff, but i mean very basic lol.

Links to RSI EMA MTF v1.2 indicator at the bottom of post.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2724/holygrailsignals.gif

You can see here that there are damn good signals from this indicator.

But it takes its cues from a timeframe several tfs above.

It isn't necessarily "repainting" because the signal is technically confirmed on the next higher tf candle. So in this example, the arrows are confirmed every hour.

On the lower tf (the 5 minute tf in this case), it repaints heavily. It can repaint up to 12 bars back which is absolutely crazy :))

The signals look fantastic until you realize how they work.

Maybe there's a way to stop the arrows from being removed?

I looked at the code and it doesn't seem simple because the code was designed to target the upper tf.

...or I'm just a terrible coder (which I am).

In the MT4 Strategy Tester, it does not repaint whatsoever. I don't know how but it works amazingly.

Using it with the LFH Tester on MT4, I had no losing trades.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zhm8xc6ljjnrr3c (Thanks to Diesel 10)

http://zalil.ru/30728586 (thanks to lgsony)

This indicator is the same as RSI with period 7 together with ema 3 (i believed).

Hi Vx13,

I can't say 100% if it can or can't be done, but i was going to take a guess i would say it can't... The obvious way to do it would be to change the TF to 5min lol, but of course the signals would not look as pretty as compared to having the 1hour on the 5min. Other then that i have no idea as i am pretty much brain dead when it comes to coding....I can do some basic stuff, but i mean very basic lol.

Haha I'm right there with you, Aussie :))

My coding is extremely basic. I really should look into coding more...

But yeah I put down a 60 RSI with a 36 EMA on it which should be the equivalent of the upper tf. The signals are still pretty good. There are a couple more not so great ones now and it's also really hard to see the signals because the periods are so long the lines may as well be flat.

Hard to see without arrows. I think my goal for now is to at least code arrows for this RSI-EMA for the current tf lol

This indicator is the same as RSI with period 7 together with ema 3 (i believed).

It's RSI with period 5 with EMA period 3 on a higher TF :)

Non Repainting RSIEMA

vx13,

one simple way to tame real time signals of a repainting indicator without deciphering its exact algo is to create another (simple) indicator that calls on the first one on every tick and 'captures' the output at the time of the call so if the original indicator goes back a few bars and changes things, that has no effect on the new indicator***. This does not work for historical data.

Usually the resulting signals are pretty lame when repainting is "disabled" and I don't think this is any different.

I have coded such indicator. You can take it for a spin and let us know what you think. Again, remember that this is good for forward real time testing as the past will be the same for both. To avoid interference in case you want to run both indicators on the same chart for comparison, I am using squares (aqua/yellow) in place of arrows on the chart. Make sure the original indicator is in the same directory.

RumiRSIEMA-nrp.ex4

Enjoy!

josephR

***You can also change the original indicator so it calls itself w/ modified options to the same effect, but you have to understand what the indicator is doing and it is more complicated. This happens to be a simple one but the solution is generic.

All indicators (oscillators) repaints on smaller TFs. Why not leave the hectic zone and try to "scalp" on 30 Minutes and up TFs?

I read a FX statistics that 70% of the 95% Forex losers are scalping traders. They never get rich and I agree with it. Scalping is driven by silly survival instinct. Be a winner not a loser.

Hermes

Edited by hermes

vx13,

one simple way to tame real time signals of a repainting indicator without deciphering its exact algo is to create another (simple) indicator that calls on the first one on every tick and 'captures' the output at the time of the call so if the original indicator goes back a few bars and changes things, that has no effect on the new indicator***. This does not work for historical data.

Usually the resulting signals are pretty lame when repainting is "disabled" and I don't think this is any different.

I have coded such indicator. You can take it for a spin and let us know what you think. Again, remember that this is good for forward real time testing as the past will be the same for both. To avoid interference in case you want to run both indicators on the same chart for comparison, I am using squares (aqua/yellow) in place of arrows on the chart. Make sure the original indicator is in the same directory.

RumiRSIEMA-nrp.ex4

Enjoy!

josephR

***You can also change the original indicator so it calls itself w/ modified options to the same effect, but you have to understand what the indicator is doing and it is more complicated. This happens to be a simple one but the solution is generic.

Joseph you RULE. You are an absolute GENIUS.

Your awesomeness and generosity makes me want to learn how to code myself so I can bother people less and help others too.

It paints the original arrows but that's of no matter. It could come in handy!

But again thank you very much :)

All indicators (oscillators) repaints on smaller TFs. Why not leave the hectic zone and try to "scalp" on 30 Minutes and up TFs?

I read a FX statistics that 70% of the 95% Forex losers are scalping traders. They never get rich and I agree with it. Scalping is driven by silly survival instinct. Be a winner not a loser.

Hermes

You are definitely spot on with that, hermes. I'm very slowly coding an EA that will exit my positions when I'm not around. Not to open or modify but just to close. I don't particularly like hard stops and generic trailing stops, y'see :))

Once I can finish it, I will definitely be moving up tfs :)

But as far as my current style goes, it's not so much scalping even though it's a low tf. Every tf has swings and trends. I'm targetting those ;)

Not so much the itty bitty movements haha

This way, I don't have to worry so much about the spread

Hi joseph and vx13, just to share some observations on realtime forward testing, i have checked out and tested RumiRSIEMA-nrp.ex4 with default settings (no change) the arrows on price chart and the little squares where the lines are below in 2nd window pane in 5 min time frame , it repainted, :( anyone can verify and rectify that as well Cheers

Iho, do you know how a MTF (multi time frame) work? do you know how this indi work?

Until the cross of rsi with ma in higher timeframe isn't finished, it's normal for signal to repaint.

When you see the signal, switch to that higher timeframe to see if it's a real cross!

Hi Marcuss , thanks for your kind enlightment, may i kindly check what is the recommended higher time frame to use for the indicator? H1? or H4 ? as there was no manual available,therefore seeking for experienced gurus like yourself to advice :) thx v much appreciated it

Please don´t misunderstood repaint with recalculate.

Every multi timeframe indicator will recalculate, due to is nature. We don´t know in advance if a 60 minutes bar will close up or down.

The multiple timeframe is very usefull to trade, but you must put indicator on the proper timeframe, or use a software that can handle multiple timeframes on same chart.

regards,

Please don´t misunderstood repaint with recalculate.

Every multi timeframe indicator will recalculate, due to is nature. We don´t know in advance if a 60 minutes bar will close up or down.

The multiple timeframe is very usefull to trade, but you must put indicator on the proper timeframe, or use a software that can handle multiple timeframes on same chart.

regards,

eggzactly,can you share a " software that can handle multiple timeframes on same chart "? Thanks!

Hi eggzactly thanks for your insight and explanation . Is there any recommended book on course based on your Multi time frame strategy you mentioned? I come across Brian Shannon 's Technical Analysis Using Multiple Timeframes., is it good? thanks once again for all dedicated great teachers in this forum..

they way it works is when the rsi crosses its moving average on a higher tf like 4hr bars

then it plots an arrow at the highest/lowest point of the rsi some bars before. in the above chart it crossed and then uncrossed, hence it plotted and then dissapeared

Hi everyone,

I am testing a strategy involving this indicator. I would need and appreciate if someone code different arrow on the chart with adjustable size plus alert and email for the signal.

I would of course share if this strategy prove to be profitable

Thank you in advance..

Ross.