An alternative to Forex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An alternative to Forex

There's been a lot of talk about the CFTC's proposed change of leverage to 10-1. If they do it and you live in the US, you may be screwed. I wouldn't put it past them to block you from opening an account outside the US (and force you to close any that are open) !

A good alternative to Forex is US Currency Futures. For instance the highly liquid Euro Globex futures contract is traded on the CME, with a point value of $12.50/point. Margin is $2500 for a day trade and $3375 for contracts held overnight. Lightning quick fills and no more of those hideous "spreads" and "requotes" to deal with. Commissions are minimal; about $2 at Interactive Brokers where I trade. Also, your broker isn't trading against you, so no funny business...

Anyway, just thought I'd bring this to light for the benefit of all you fine folks !

While I don't disagree if you can afford those margin requirements you can afford to trade a mini Forex account so I don't see how this is a better option, just a different one.

Comment

Originally posted by detrader View Post
      While I don't disagree if you can afford those margin requirements you can afford to trade a mini Forex account so I don't see how this is a better option, just a different one.
      IF leverage goes to 10-1 on FX in the US, you will get a much greater bang for your buck with the futures.

1 EUR/USD FX contract would have a $10,000 margin requirement.
      1 EUR Globex Futures contract would have a $3,375 margin requirement.

That's a huge difference between same sized contracts.

A mini contract is not comparable as it offers mini price appreciation...

Comment

There are many brokers request only 300-400$ for a contract.
        (Look at infinity, velocity and Mirus)

Comment

Well I have no doubt that the US will try to stop all Forex trading as it is now in the future. However that should not stop you from trading.
          There are proven ways you can still trade with overseas brokers no matter what the US.

good luck
          the grump

Comment

Originally posted by grump View Post
            Well I have no doubt that the US will try to stop all Forex trading as it is now in the future. However that should not stop you from trading.
            There are proven ways you can still trade with overseas brokers no matter what the US.

good luck
            the grump
            Agreed, but the US authorities are a mighty determined bunch of azzclowns. What if they somehow outlaw or prevent US citizens from having overseas accounts? Any US citizen would have to close their overseas account or face the fury of "the law". Hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, Currency Futures are an attractive alternative. That is all I was trying to bring to light. I have nothing to gain no matter what folks end up trading...

Comment

Hi Diesel,

Yes I know ..what I was trying to say is even if the US makes a law about no overseas brokers it means very little as you can trade with overseas brokers without the US having any knowledge at all.

I showed my friends how it's done because they wanted to trade with FXPro which is a very good overseas broker but they stopped taking US citizens as clients. The same with Alpari,UK. But my friends are happily trading these 2 brokers as I will when I return to the US..

the grump

Comment

If CFTC's proposed change of leverage to 10-1 is enacted - it seems unlikely to me that many U.S. based traders (perhaps a small minority) will attempt to skirt that law by opening an overseas account. Trading is risky enough as is.

Let us hope U.S. regulators don't make it their mission to de-leverage retail traders. Retail traders did not cause the issue they are trying to solve.

Comment

Anyone trading futures here? The more I look into day trading and shorter time frames the more I start to lean toward futures. I see no use of forex high leverage (or even using all of it) as most brokers will not give you good execution and play many other games. Did you notice that forex brokers with very high leverage and bonuses usually have worst executions? In my opinion high leverage + bad execution = easy money for forex broker. Any ideas welcome.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  Working...
                  X