Standard Member Array
    Thanks

Number of postings and an active community

I've enjoyed being a member of this forum for some time now and I appreciate the range of experience displayed by other members. There is always something new for me to learn.

It's obvious that there is a desire for this to be an active and thriving community. This happens when all members of the community actively participate in conversation around many of the topics. But I think that one way that this is being handled is backfiring.....

For instance, there are a number of topics that require you to have a certain number of postings before you can access them. Some topics require you to have 5 postings, others want you to have 10. I tried to access the new Rebellion EA thread yesterday and was told I do not have 20 posts yet so I cannot. This is all well and good and I understand the motivation on the part of those who run the forum: get people to post more to create a more effective forum.

Then there is the flip side to this: people who post "Thanks, Dude" or other posts with little to no value. They probably do this to get enough postings to allow them to view some topic that they want to have access to.

Maybe it's time to think about another way to build a forum community instead of forcing people to post?

Gold Member Array
    Thanks

Re: Number of postings and an active community

I believe offering several options would be nice for those people who have limited experience, and do not want to impress others with their ignorance, by giving advice that is incorrect. Or asking questions whose answers are obvious to every one else.

Maybe a special fund, that people can donate to, (sent to this forum) that would give them credits for postings. As the fund grows it can be used to offset operational costs of the web site, or used to buy awards to give to special members who have contributed more than most.

I know of one web site that gave away special pens, notebooks, T-shirts, etc. (with the website logo, or "Most Appreciated" award, etc.) to members who got the most kudos, etc.

I'm just saying, some of us really appreciate this forum, and what we cannot offer in experience, we might be able to offer with small contributions. OR, not....... (If this idea has already been proposed in the past and voted down).

Quote Originally Posted by iikati
    I've enjoyed being a member of this forum for some time now and I appreciate the range of experience displayed by other members. There is always something new for me to learn.

It's obvious that there is a desire for this to be an active and thriving community. This happens when all members of the community actively participate in conversation around many of the topics. But I think that one way that this is being handled is backfiring.....

For instance, there are a number of topics that require you to have a certain number of postings before you can access them. Some topics require you to have 5 postings, others want you to have 10. I tried to access the new Rebellion EA thread yesterday and was told I do not have 20 posts yet so I cannot. This is all well and good and I understand the motivation on the part of those who run the forum: get people to post more to create a more effective forum.

Then there is the flip side to this: people who post "Thanks, Dude" or other posts with little to no value. They probably do this to get enough postings to allow them to view some topic that they want to have access to.

Maybe it's time to think about another way to build a forum community instead of forcing people to post?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i just remove all requirements!!!!, can i have applause for this??? =D> =D>

why i remove that?
    i hate when a day i just delete "thanks" post (junk post), and i have to warn some members, and causing hate and some debate between members and moderators. like you all know we moderators just help to manage and running this board.

but what is happen when i remove requirement post?
    1. some scam and trash indi,ea,system seller contact me to remove their topic(thread) stuff, cause they can see and watch all thread/topics, and they threatening me with copyright meters, so i have to delete some topic for this.

2. lecher, some of them post our stuff at their site, some just repainting and sell the stuff.

well but that is not my choice and not we want as moderators, that is all yours wanted right? to remove all posting requirement

so this is my opinion now
    1. stop searching useless EA
    2. start make your own trading system and get discuss it with other at trading system forums, so you can make your own trading system more better and who knows you can make your own holygrail system without wasting time and money.

>-

Standard Member Array
    Thanks

Hi dvd_val,

Thanks for your response. I think this is a good community where a lot of people can bring value to each other. I understand that there are spammers out there who want to post their junk and scams on the site. I also appreciate the work that all the moderators put into keeping the site clean and making sure there is no junk on it.

I have been surprised by the fact that different topics require different numbers of postings before someone can get into them. I assumed that this was because you wanted people to contribute to the community. But now I understand that you are actually trying to cut down on people who only want to use the forum to post their stuff.

As far as the holy grail, I don't think there is one. I was trying to get into the topic so that I could see what other people think about it once they have tried it.

Thanks.
    Kat

Standard Member Array
    Thanks

I agree with iikati that this forum must be the best yet that I have found on Forex. The amount of resources I can find here ( ebooks, strategies etc ) alone will keep me busy for weeks if not months. The number of required posts to view certain section is not a biggie as I am sure new members will work our way up to meet the requirement.