Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why e-mini !!!???

Hi All,

I have been a member here for about eight years now, for the most part it has been a good experience, except a bad apple here and there of course. I have been involved with Markets for more years than I care to remember , and a better half of that time I was/am actually trading.

For many years now I am puzzled by trader's unexplained strong desire to trade E-minis above all other Markets, and that seems to be the case for all traders.... novice and experienced . It seems like some traders are not satisfied by simply making money, they want to conquer E-minis before they feel that they have mastered the art of trading. Most of us here know that E-mini is one of the, if not the, most difficult Market to trade, it has been proven statistically many times over the years, yet that seems to not matter very much to most who want to trade that Behemoth.

I would love to see traders write what they think about trading E-minis, whether they trade it or not. If they do - would be great to hear why and whether they find it more difficult than other Markets, if not.....why not ? What in their experience made them switch to something else. I will be writing about my own experience with E-minis over the years, as the thread gets going.

I think as time goes by, and hopefully lots of folks decide to share their opinion - this would be a great learning experience for most.

Thanks in advance for your participation, Best to all !!!

If you know how to trade then it makes no difference which market you are trading.
    I have been trading the ES for many years because its solid, slow most of the time which gives you enough time to respond live; but the most important fact is that it follows FIBS almost 100% so you can watch the legs and trade accordingly.

Since its a huge market- its always carries enough volume to get you in and out with a small spread.

That is my five cent advise.

Jane

Comment

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the post. Actually I had a little different experience over the years by watching other traders. I know quite a few traders who had problems with some Markets including E-mini, but have done very well trading other Markets. You know what they say - don't trade the Market you like.....trade one that likes you . Of course liquidity is always a big consideration when one chooses Market to trade, but since most retailers trade one to three lots - any Futures market will be plenty liquid.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by wcicom View Post
        Hi Jane,

Thanks for the post. Actually I had a little different experience over the years by watching other traders. I know quite a few traders who had problems with some Markets including E-mini, but have done very well trading other Markets. You know what they say - don't trade the Market you like.....trade one that likes you . Of course liquidity is always a big consideration when one chooses Market to trade, but since most retailers trade one to three lots - any Futures market will be plenty liquid.

Simon
        Hi Simon,

which markets are you trading?

Comment

Hi Elishar,

I try to trade both swing and short term. I am not a major trend trader, I try to find one to three week moves, like Markets often exhibit after periods of consolidation....easier said than done . Most of my time is spent looking for swing trades which meet my developed over the years criteria. I usually will not get involved in short term or day trading unless I found a few swing trades which I am in, that's why I don't get a chance to day-trade most days.

I do trade ES on occasion, I do prefer the other three ( YM, NQ, and RTY ). Even though all of these are stock index futures of course, and on balance will go in the same direction, on real short term basis - often one of these will show us something before the others will, and it can add up to a "real" difference on the bottom line.

The rule of thumb is that Markets which least used in arbitrage, kind of purer ones, are easier to trade, especially for beginning traders than heavily arbitraged ones. My personal opinion is that this should not be the most important criteria when one selects Market(s) to trade, but with all else being equal - it does make a difference.
          In swing or long term trading, Market selection is not very important, just like Jane said - over time all Markets will behave similarly, and most of them will respect Fibonacci ratios with sometimes mind blowing accuracy. But in short term or day trading - Market selection is incredibly important on individual basis. There is a lot to be said about how Market rhythm, sort of heart beat, swing size and time - match or mismatch our individual internal rhythms'

Best,
          Simon

Comment

Originally posted by wcicom View Post
            Hi Elishar,

I try to trade both swing and short term. I am not a major trend trader, I try to find one to three week moves, like Markets often exhibit after periods of consolidation....easier said than done . Most of my time is spent looking for swing trades which meet my developed over the years criteria. I usually will not get involved in short term or day trading unless I found a few swing trades which I am in, that's why I don't get a chance to day-trade most days.

I do trade ES on occasion, I do prefer the other three ( YM, NQ, and RTY ). Even though all of these are stock index futures of course, and on balance will go in the same direction, on real short term basis - often one of these will show us something before the others will, and it can add up to a "real" difference on the bottom line.

The rule of thumb is that Markets which least used in arbitrage, kind of purer ones, are easier to trade, especially for beginning traders than heavily arbitraged ones. My personal opinion is that this should not be the most important criteria when one selects Market(s) to trade, but with all else being equal - it does make a difference.
            In swing or long term trading, Market selection is not very important, just like Jane said - over time all Markets will behave similarly, and most of them will respect Fibonacci ratios with sometimes mind blowing accuracy. But in short term or day trading - Market selection is incredibly important on individual basis. There is a lot to be said about how Market rhythm, sort of heart beat, swing size and time - match or mismatch our individual internal rhythms'

Best,
            Simon
            Hi Simon,

it seems you found a good way to make some profit from market.

Wish you all the best for the future.

Take care

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
            Working...
            X