Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

FX Market is Slowing! Forex Trading Volume Shrinks

here is an extract from a report that ive fond online, has it affected any of your trading?

Unfortunately the forex market has not escape the impact of global deleveraging and the failure of Lehman Brothers in 2008. Central banks from around the world have released their semi-annual foreign exchange surveys and based upon all of the reports, forex trading volume decreased significantly between April 2008 and April 2009. Investors large and small have reduced risk with carry trades unwound aggressively. The lack of participation may explain why the major currency pairs have been stuck in a range since the beginning of May. In New York for example, forex spot trading volume fell to the lowest level in more than 3 years.

London remains the most active forex trading center followed by NY and Tokyo. The EUR/USD is still the most actively traded currency pair by far.

Here are some stats (all of data is in billions of U.S. dollars):

- Britain is the world’s biggest FX trading hub with over a third of global turnover.
    - Average daily turnover in forex products fell 20% since October 2008 to $1,356B, down 25% from April 2008
    - Majority of decline was attributed to less activity in spot FX which fell 28%
    - The most heavily traded currency pair was euro/dollar, which accounted for 32% of total turnover.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
    Thanks

Re: FX Market is Slowing! Forex Trading Volume Shrinks

with people not buying as much the need for exchange has slowed.. Plus we are at the peak of summer vacations in europe... expect it to start increasing again real soon.. The fall is always the best anyway..

Moderator Array
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ajata
    here is an extract from a report that ive fond online, has it affected any of your trading?

Unfortunately the forex market has not escape the impact of global deleveraging and the failure of Lehman Brothers in 2008. Central banks from around the world have released their semi-annual foreign exchange surveys and based upon all of the reports, forex trading volume decreased significantly between April 2008 and April 2009. Investors large and small have reduced risk with carry trades unwound aggressively. The lack of participation may explain why the major currency pairs have been stuck in a range since the beginning of May. In New York for example, forex spot trading volume fell to the lowest level in more than 3 years.

London remains the most active forex trading center followed by NY and Tokyo. The EUR/USD is still the most actively traded currency pair by far.

Here are some stats (all of data is in billions of U.S. dollars):

- Britain is the world’s biggest FX trading hub with over a third of global turnover.
    - Average daily turnover in forex products fell 20% since October 2008 to $1,356B, down 25% from April 2008
    - Majority of decline was attributed to less activity in spot FX which fell 28%
    - The most heavily traded currency pair was euro/dollar, which accounted for 32% of total turnover.
    Personally, I haven't been trading since a while before the crisis began. However, I plan to restart soon. There are probably many others in the same situation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    with people not buying as much the need for exchange has slowed.. Plus we are at the peak of summer vacations in europe... expect it to start increasing again real soon.. The fall is always the best anyway..
    Interesting, i did not know that fall is the best time for fx trading....

Standard Member Array
    Thanks

Still the biggest financial game in town

Standard Member Array
    Thanks

I guess the NFA rule change doesn't stop the game after all.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gkris6
    I guess the NFA rule change doesn't stop the game after all.
    I have an ea that monitors/counts actual tick counts etc.. The brokers I have for demo include FXDD, FxPro, NordMarkets, FXSol Australia and Collective.. My live accounts are on 3 of those.. I have noticed in the last 2 weeks that FXDD tick count is way down... As of Today the FxPro tick count now exceeds FXDD.. That has not happened since Ive been doing this stuff (2 years).. FXDD has always kinda been my bell weather if you will.. Well that has changed.. I am now kinda getting eratic tick and volume counts with them.. The ONLY thing I can contribute this sudden 2 week downturn to in just this one broker is the NFA junk....

Quote Originally Posted by hatter1000
    Still the biggest financial game in town
    Well actually OIL is the biggest money mover on the planet.. No matter how you trade it OIL moves more cash than anything.. I trade oil almost every day on several brokers, including some forex brokers, FxPro being one..

Heres what OIL has done Today.. Several 100 pip or more trends..

Bronze Member Array
    Thanks

Can you trade oil the same as forex? I saw how in fxpro you can trade a lot more than currency.

Bronze Member Array
    Thanks

I dont think that FXDD is part of the NFA...unless they just joined up.

Standard Member Array
    Thanks

oil would be the escape for forex traders ,volume is still hight
    but there will be no oil after some years lol so you will not have this opportunity after

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast