Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of TRADING is really about the indicators?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of TRADING is really about the indicators?...

I have read in various publications that trading (at least making a success of it) is more about money management and the mental part of trading, rather than which indicator you use or which system you follow.

I would like to know your thoughts on this? Are these guys then saying that one can pretty much make a success of this with ANY indicator...as long as you THINK / BELIEVE you will be successful at it?

Heck - to me this is a little silly...ignorant almost. As first have the indicator working well in back testing and THEN make it work....at least THEN let it make you money. What do you think?

Re: How much of TRADING is really about the indicators?...

i think...all of the indicator's always work with correctly,but it just a program tools and depend to our trading style,....the true indicator is in our brain

Comment

Price is the best friend you can have.

Comment

For me, indicators can be the first signal, but we still need to confirm it with another indicator or using Price Action.

NEVER believe 100% in indicator, only use it as an opening signal.

Comment

indicators + chart patterns are my solution

Comment

None of them are perfect and also, you can trade without any indicators.
            The most important thing is you. How you do with self-discipline and money management.
            Just believe in yourself and own eyes.
            If I want say furthermore, stick with one or two system. Do not make yourself confuse and no more wishing hoping.
            >-

Comment

Indicators help to built a confidence in yourself and in your trading strategies. Does not exist the "holy gray" indicator (al least I've never found out), good in every situation, but it exists some good tools that help you to survive.

Comment

Indicators showoff nothing but market behavior at certain points.
                However market beavior is also driven by economic factors, which will influence you're day trading more than you might expect.

Comment

i agree, you must find a system which suits you, some would prefer many fancy indicator which shows volum, cci, gann ecc, others have fine trades using only a bunch of trendline and S&R

Comment

I read something interesting by Van Tharp. Him and Tom Basso did a study where they basically flipped a coin to determine buy or sell. They did this I think over a few hundred trials and with the proper position sizing were able to make it profitable. So if money management can make a 50/50 system profitable, then imagine a system with a positive expectancy. That's why they say that position size is far more important than any indicator. Just use an entry that makes sense, be consistant, and use proper position size. Of course, we always love to look for the Holy Grail (when in fact it's money management).

Peter

Comment

Could not have said it better myself. I guess the "inner mind factor" that people talk
                      about is controlling our natural human urges (greed, fear) and stick to a machine-like
                      impartial operation. Add money management and you have a winner.

Here's a link to add to the discussion:

http://www.trading-naked.com/

Comment

Think of indicators as a visual aid to present price action in easier to decipher visual manner - however, that comes with a problem of lag - so best is to combine price action/patterns with a select few indicators chosen for your trading style

Comment

I would say 20% indicators, 50% following the plan (mental) and 30% money mgt.

Comment

It's curious, I noticed in all the videos I saw from real traders all the charts I saw was only candlesticks, no indicators at all. I am talking about those guys who trade on trading rooms or offices with other people on their company, each with 3 - 6 screens and all that stuff, so it's pretty sure they trade for a living and they know what they are doing.

With good money managment you could make tons of money with an average strategy, but that doesn't mean mm is easy.

Comment

Hi, I think that you have to astart somewhere and getting used to a few indicators will help with your trading style.
                              Just try a few to see which suits you

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              Working...
                              X