Reverse Scalping

Hi All...

I have just written a blog base on this idea from the forum thread Why Do Traders Lose?

http://www.indo-investasi.com/viewtopic ... 58&start=0

Particularly from a comment by Ikhnaton

If you're the 90% of the bunch which always loses his trades ...... reverse your buy and sell buttons ..... click buy when u want to sell and click sell when u want to buy .... you will double your account by the time you get broke ..... haha =))

It was pretty interesting and it might probably be true.. I want to bounce this idea a little bit more to see if this could actually work meaning reverse these losing trades to a more profitable trade...

The idea is that if I can manage to change a not profitable or a money losing EA to sell when it is suppose to buy and buy when it is suppose to sell... with stop loss and take profit inter changed, it would probably work no?? I mean logically and ideally that is what Ikhnaton means.

I mean think about it... Doesn't this make sense. If we can get a robot to work this way... then I think we might have a profitable account.... because losses would be profits and profits would be losses... Since a losing EA has more losses then profits then it just makes sense that we change the BUY / SELL button the other way round no?

Would really be great to share your thoughts...

Re: Reverse Scalping

This thinking presupposes that all the profit and loss originates soley with the EA strategy in question.. What about the other obstacles to extracting profit such as variable spreads, dealing desk broker business models and other external influences as to why the market moves the way it does?

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately...

I automated the L*T v1.5 robot and tested it in a demo ecn account - it blew up.

I then added a nonlagma v7.1, as a filter - it blew up.

I then added a reverse buy/sell strategy - it still blew up.

So, at least with my attempts, on this ea, reversing buy with sell failed miserably. :((

EAs with a reverse feature say quite a lot about the confidence of their programmer... I wouldn't even touch an EA with it. In the past, I tried modifying in this way several open source EAs that were constantly losing, but the results were really bad, due to the lack of a proper exit strategy.

Trading against the trend is always very dangerous. Anyway, there are counter trend strategies that are successful, simply because the trader with great experience and good intuition can find the turning point for a retracement and pick up some pips. Sometimes the counter trend scalper can catch up the trend reversal as well...

We can lose many ways (timing, money management, bad analysis, etc.) and can win only a few ways. What is more, the brokers always have an edge that is the spread and in certain cases the commission, an inconsistent system does not have an edge at all. So we always have bigger chance to lose than to win.

I think we would have a better chance of being sucessfull if we reversed a losing trading system instead of an ea. With the ea you don't really know the inner workings unless you developed it. Take a moving average cross system that always looses, you can see exactly what is happening and do the opposite. With the ea you dontknow all the reasons for entering or exiting the trade so you don't really know why it lost.