Amibroker for Linux/Mac

This site is a little on the techie side, but shows ways to use Amibroker in the Linux and the Macintosh operating systems. This is for traders with some programming background.

Amibroker for Linux/Mac

http://www.amibroker.org/3rdparty/Amibroker_on_Linux/

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Bill,

I am already running Amibroker on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelet) and now 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) through Crossover.

Ubuntu rather Linux is FREE... and many more other advantages.... :)

But never tried with Mac...

Have a nice day

JBest

I am already running Amibroker on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelet) and now 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) through Crossover.

That's interesting. I have Ubuntu 12 in Virtualbox and I'd be interested in hearing how you do it. I have ThinkOrSwim running on Ubuntu; so maybe there's a DDE to link them just like for Windows.

I am triple booting Win8, os x lion and ubuntu. Linux by far is my favorite on this machine. I never heard of crossover before, i am using wine to run windows programs. it is pretty good, although, I can't wait till they support dotnet 4 . there are a few programs i can't get to run yet.

update. crossover seems to be a Mac thing.

I am triple booting Win8, os x lion and ubuntu.

I used to use multiple boot options, but the multiboot utility took over the harddrive's MBR (Master Boot Record) and it later caused serious harddrive problems when I tried some routine maintenance using a Windows utility. I forgot about the modified MBR. That's why I found it safer to use virtual operating systems. I eventually recovered my harddrives with a lot of effort.

Anyway, I'll have to try your suggestion of using the Wine utility on the Linux system.

Linux VS Windows

Run Windows Programs in Linux! Part 1

Run Windows Programs in Linux! Part 2

Make Ubuntu Linux look like Windows 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk0xi01W9vk

Edited by Bill Bundle

I have virtualbox running XP on my main machine. it is awsome but I feel it slows it down a bit. Now double or triple booting is safe. provided you set the system bios up properly. and even in your master boot record gets borked. it is no problem. All you have to do is boot the computer with chameleon or iboot and choose whatever OS you want and fix it from there. There is a fantastic free tool called easybcd that you could use to repair any MBR problems

I have virtualbox running XP on my main machine. it is awsome but I feel it slows it down a bit. Now double or triple booting is safe. provided you set the system bios up properly. and even in your master boot record gets borked. it is no problem. All you have to do is boot the computer with chameleon or iboot and choose whatever OS you want and fix it from there. There is a fantastic free tool called easybcd that you could use to repair any MBR problems

Thanks for the information. I had the MBR problems several years ago and its good that the newer software handles these issues better. My current computer is custom built. I researched and purchased each component and assembled it myself for speed. Sometimes I have two virtual OS running simultaneously and I don't notice any speed difference. These days the only thing that slows down my computer is my DSL internet service.

I'm going to get that program, EasyBCD, to be prepared for emergencies. I had a utility that did a hardcore format to fill all harddrive tracks with zeros and then I re-installed Windows. Windows re-formated the MBR and formatted the harddrive.

One of the other main reasons that I use Windows in Virtualbox, is that I surf the internet there and any viruses, spyware and any other malware is confined to the Virtualbox and never effects my main operating system. If anything happens to the Windows in Virtualbox, I have a preconfigured Virtual Windows template that I clone to start over again. I never again have to re-install Windows and all its service packs. They are all in the template that I can clone anytime. My main OS is backed up with Acronis that also can be re-installed easily.

Several years ago I tested Ghost Image Creator and Acronis and I had trouble working with Ghost Imager. At that time Acronis was easier for me. But these programs get updated periodically and I'm sure that the Ghost program has changed. Its been around for a long time and I'm sure its a good program and I'm glad to hear that it works for you.

I had purchased a netbook and I found out that it doesn't come with its own recovery disk. The user's manual said that the netbook had a utility in it to make a recovery disk; so I use it. I also used Acronis, because I'm very familiar with it. Another thing that I noticed about the notebook is that if the Operating System (OS) has a problem that there's a built in utility that can reset the OS back to factory specifications from a recovery partition on the harddrive.

Suprisingly, I found out that Acronis does something very similar. Acronis can create your OS backup on a reserved partition on your hardrive. Its a special partition that is created by Acronis and is hidden from everyday usage of the harddrive. If your current OS gets corrupted, you just reboot your computer and as the reboot process starts you press F11 where you are directed to the Acronis Recovery utility stored on the special partition and you can reinstall your OS "template" that is also stored on the special partition without you having to use your CDs with all your Acronis backups and utility. This is essentially what is done on many new laptops and netbooks, but they have their own utility that does this instead of Acronis.

If your favorite imaging program is Ghost, you might check if it does this too. I really like this feature of convient re-installation of the OS. However, as I said previously, because I connect with the internet mainly on a virtual OS; my computer is further protected from malicious software above and beyond using a virus protection program. On the virtual OS I can have a second level of protection by using virus protection or even a fourth level of protection by using Sandboxie. Sandboxie completely isolates whatever program you run in its environment. After leaving the Sandboxie environment, you can transfer your data out of that environment and have all cookies, passwords, all temp files, etc. automatically deleted when you exit the environment. This is one of the most isolated computing environments that I know of. No virus program can get out of this isolation. Your Window registry is completely protected from anything that happens in the Sandboxie environment.

Edited by Bill Bundle

dear bill,

s, one major different have in ghost and acronics..

means if os corrupted i need ghost cd for locate the reimage of os(image file stored in any partition drive as we like) , but as ur statement acronics is in built of reimage option at booting time when we pres f11..

this one is major different..

but process are very simple in ghost ..

thanks for reply..

can u give any video clip for acronics setup help..?

happy trading..

can u give any video clip for acronics setup help..?

Acronis is very user friendly and going through the setup process is not that difficult. Its Ghost that I had trouble with in the past. That's why I ended up using Acronis. I'm sure that when you try to install your copy of Acronis that you will see what I mean.

Also there are video tutorials on YouTube, Vimeo, ButterScotch.com, MetaCafe.com, etc.

Edited by Bill Bundle

Bill, Many thanks 4 the info. I hv Paragon Ver 11, is it any good? and can I make a system image on an external HD?

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Paragon. I would think that a system image is just like any other file and can be stored anywhere.

Another utility that I found to be handy is Erunt, which also comes as a portable application. http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ Erunt makes a backup of the Windows registry that can be stored in any folder. If you use Windows system restore, this utility will also backup the registry in somewhat the same way - maybe better. If you want to test a program and then remove it, you can use Erunt to create a backup to be restored after the program is removed. Windows will then be in a state as if you never installed the program. Its always good to keep a clean registry, especially for testing programs like AmiQuote that leave their license error imbeded in the registry.

Edited by Bill Bundle