Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Should Be An Instant Ban For Time-Wasting Fraudsters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Should Be An Instant Ban For Time-Wasting Fraudsters!

It seems to be more difficult to ban on II these days.
    One thing which is worse than profanity/discrimination, etc., is the ability of someone to lead others up the garden path to a promised end and not deliver.
    At what point do you decide to ban such a person? I would be interested to read your comments; they may also be useful to the mods in helping to gauge the attitude of members.
    Do you ban on past activity (e.g. threads closed for not keeping to the subject and just ranting)?
    Do you ban on non-delivery after x number of posts?
    Do you ban after members have asked reasonable questions about the system/software, etc., and been fobbed off, or even abused?

I find it extraordinary that a self-appointed guru can rant rubbish and have what appears to be a major following of desperate ppl who ignore reason at all costs. Yet, this is what seems to be happening here, today, at II.

You could easily argue that it is their own choice and responsibility. But when they get burned, the finger will point to II and the question will be asked: Why was a ban not imposed?

II does not ban people just because a few people do not like a post or thread. You sound like a Democrat trying to decide what is good and not good for the entire site.

Comment

Hi scwon,
      That is not my intention.
      I was asking for opinions and giving my own at the same time. That is all.

Comment

Can't we just all get along? Hey manganate, I hope you are not talking about me, I am working on "You Know Who" to join a mental institution. If I can't deliver, it is not entirely my fault. But I do admit to the charge of ranting. I like your thread, I like that fact that you care. Good for you.

Comment

Hi Takingur$,
          No, not you. I remember the 311 thread:
          http://indo-investasi.com/showthread.php/8987-(Req)-Method311
          where there was proper calm discussion about Donna and her site, which turned out to be a scam run by a marketeer, with an entire forum of unquestioning devotees.
          My worry is that some other new forex forum will be calmly discussing the ranting and raving of II in the future.
          I still like being at II and don't want to leave. But I don't want to contribute just to be humiliated.
          Regards.

Comment

Too bad about the fighting on some of the threads. I am reading a few and they are just terrible. I agree with you, the mods should take some action. I'm just happy that I'm not one of them. Even they are being attacked. Nasty! I do like the name "You Know Who". Must be a dark wizard.

Comment

When I was a moderator, we would give warnings and if that didn't work, we would ban the person. If you see a posting that you see which violates the rules, just click on the triangle button which allows you to report the post. Give a detail description of why you're reporting same and the moderator will then determine which action to take.

I hope this helps!

Comment

You have my attention when you have any gossip about "Lord Voldemort".

Originally posted by Zoltan View Post
                Nasty! I do like the name "You Know Who". Must be a dark wizard.

Comment

The moderators make the rules and decide how far to bend them. All I am interested in is to have a civil discussion on what should constitute a ban, particularly since I no longer know what is deemed to be an acceptable derogatory remark.
                  I do not want to contribute to any II thread where I end up being treated with contempt and derision, harassment, or with the use of foul language, or religious/sexual hate bigotry, etc., only to discover that it was acceptable to the mods, despite the rules.
                  The last time I saw increased uncivil activity here I stayed away for a few month hoping that it would be cleaned up; but no, as soon as I come back I see a real cesspit, particularly with the insidious use of polls.
                  Even thank you, thank you, thank you posts are a mild irritant compared to that.
                  So this is why I started this thread, to get opinions.
                  I am not hurt by scammers or foul language, etc., but I am frustrated that multi-page threads build up with no discernible content or worthwhile discussion.
                  Ignoring such threads is easy, but they will propagate like viruses until something is done: a moderator responsibility. Unless, of course the moderators discern that the membership want it that way.

Again, I am only expressing an opinion (in the appropriate section of the site!) and want to read other opinions.
                  I do not want to be a policeman for the site, or tell members what to do.
                  Last edited by manganate; 05-05-11, 19:32. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi David,
                    Yes I do report posts, but I rarely know the outcome, except if there has been a ban.
                    I was thinking it might be useful if the mods did the same as they do with banned software: publish a list.
                    So there would be a list of members with infractions and a list of banned ex-members, with reasons. That way, members would see the decisiveness of the mods.

Edit:
                    One problem is that there is no triangle for a thread - only a post!!
                    I could send reports on most of the members ranting in "You Know Who's" current active thread, but I would probably end up being the one to be banned because of acting like a traffic warden clamping prams.
                    Last edited by manganate; 05-05-11, 20:03.

Comment

Manganate,

I don't know what your problem is. I hate EAs and all the threads asking (Begging for eas). Because I do not believe in any effective EAs, I just avoid those posts. I don't go on them telling everyong it's a scam.
                      If you do not find a thread interesting, why not just avoid it and you will not have the problems you seem to be creating for yourself? Just an idea. I avoid the posts I don't like.

Comment

if a member is banned he has to have committed a banable offense, everyone (including moderators) have to act within the rules set by the administrator, I do understand some members may start pointless threads which other members may dislike (even i may not like some threads) but we can not ban a member for that (unless he is selling something)

Its best to report the post and move on to some other thread as David has suggested, the mods will make an assessment of the reported post and act in accordance with the rules. Recently we received many complaints about profanity used by a senior member in a particular post who was expressing his views (rather strongly), he's been here a long time and usually doesn't respond that way so we edited out the profanity and mentioned it in the edit note. Issue was resolved and there was no trouble after that.

Yes forum promotion / advertising / spamming would definitely be banable and a serial offender who repeatedly violates a rules despite having been asked not to may possibly be banned but in other instances we need to evaluate on a case by case basis as I said we have to act within the rules,
                        Last edited by hermanhess; 06-05-11, 21:12.

Comment

I agree with sticking to simple rules, otherwise things get very tricky.

So called "pointless" or "over the top" etc. threads to some may contain a lot of value for others.

I followed many years ago a guy who posted as "tradevector" on other forums, most thought he was crazy, though I could see lots of interesting and ground breaking techniques in what most just dismissed as crazy talk. The smallest of ideas can trigger any of us to greater things at any time.

scwon has the right idea - just treat visiting the forum as selecting a TV channel for example. If you want to see the cricket and end up tuning in to a romantic movie by mistake, do you carry on watching and then complain afterwards ? lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scwon View Post
                            Manganate,

I don't know what your problem is. I hate EAs and all the threads asking (Begging for eas). Because I do not believe in any effective EAs, I just avoid those posts. I don't go on them telling everyong it's a scam.
                            If you do not find a thread interesting, why not just avoid it and you will not have the problems you seem to be creating for yourself? Just an idea. I avoid the posts I don't like.
                            My problem is that i've misjudged the ethos of this forum. I thought it was here to debunk false EAs, scams and false prophets. That there was a community of ppl ready to constructively criticise and not bury their heads in the sand by just changing channels. The threads I view and comment in are ones I am interested in - not ones I am not interested in. So I will continue to do this. It doesn't cause me a problem because I know my comments are mainly constructive.
                            I could not find any thread in this section of the forum which discussed false prophets and how to deal with them, so that is why I created one. It's giving me a good insight into attitudes.
                            Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by soundfx View Post
                              I agree with sticking to simple rules, otherwise things get very tricky.

So called "pointless" or "over the top" etc. threads to some may contain a lot of value for others.

I followed many years ago a guy who posted as "tradevector" on other forums, most thought he was crazy, though I could see lots of interesting and ground breaking techniques in what most just dismissed as crazy talk. The smallest of ideas can trigger any of us to greater things at any time.

scwon has the right idea - just treat visiting the forum as selecting a TV channel for example. If you want to see the cricket and end up tuning in to a romantic movie by mistake, do you carry on watching and then complain afterwards ? lol.
                              At least TradeVector was polite, had decorum and tried to structure his arguments.
                              Again, sticking with the TV theme, I tune into channels that I want to watch.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              Working...
                              X