No announcement yet.

Best TimeFrame - Whats Your TimeFrame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best TimeFrame - Whats Your TimeFrame?

After trading for several years...I have found that the best trading timeframe is 15 minutes for traders like me who have little cash and who want little drawdown (1-10 pips). I am still catching up with my losses due to trading 5 minute chart.

Whats your best tiemframe? Any comments? Please share!!!

Time is relative buddy.....

Comment

well it really depends on the market conditions and on the pair but normally i trade on the 1h charts

Comment

You mean the timeframe to take trades on ?
        It all boils down to what your risk strategy is. The lower timeframes will allow you to have a smaller stoploss and you will be able to increase your lot size, and the higher timeframe will require much wider stoplosses and you will need to decrease your lot sizes. Higher timeframes will also have less noise. How much time can you devote to watching the charts ?
        So it boils down to your own money management, risk tolerance & screen time available to determine what is your best timeframe. It will of course, be different for each trader.

Comment

I find it very very emotional trading higher time frame especially when the stop loss is huge and the trades goes the other way. I cannot see a drwadown of more than 20 pips with 1 standard lot equates to more than $200 and that is why I have been trying to trade 15 minutes with a drawdown of 1-10 pips but it requires a lot of monitoring the charts....I am able to get an average of 20 plus pips per trade....but want to know others feedback what they think....

Comment

Originally posted by dannydon786 View Post
            ... 20 pips with 1 standard lot equates to more than $200 ...
            Begs the question why use 1 lot why not use .01 lots and enjoy a 2000 if I calculated right...or 200 pip drawdown.

I think that I already know! I used .01 in demo but upped it to .1 because I wanted to trade in dollars.

But, to answer the original question: 15 min because that is what my system requires and working on a daily system because I have time between 'chart midnight' and London open.

Comment

I use 5M chart for trading. Looking into 15M as sometime I feel 5M is too fast and too many noise.

Comment

I use 1 min TF looking at higher TF market structure

Comment

For me, I use 15 minutes to enter after analyzing higher time frames for market direction, from daily, 4hr, 1 hr occasionally i will look at weekly charts.

Comment

15 mnts entry with 1h trend...

Comment

Originally posted by shunshi88 View Post
                      I use 5M chart for trading. Looking into 15M as sometime I feel 5M is too fast and too many noise.
                      yahh, the same thing. 5M make me nervous cause of speed and noises. but despite of this i use mostly 5m.

Comment

I lost a lot of money trading 5 minute chart. How do you trade 1 minute chart?

Comment

Originally posted by dannydon786 View Post
                          I lost a lot of money trading 5 minute chart. How do you trade 1 minute chart?
                          if execution is good it's ok to trade 1m cart. and do not nervous regardless of time frame.

Comment

Before you even place a single live trade, did you demo your system over a reasonable number of trades to determine what your ideal stoplosses are for the trading method and the trading timeframe ? Build a history of trades, winners as well as losers, this will give you stats about your system. Winning percentages, Drawdowns, Largest winners & largest losers.Consecutive winning & losing trades. Don't skip this step, why not paper trade ?
                            Treat paper trading as training, atheletes spend years training for one event. To be good at anything you need to train.

Write a Trading Plan for the system. This is a Business, treat it like one. Would you invest in any company that gave you no information, profits & loss accounts, or any idea of profitabilty ?

Now you have established what your risk capital is per trade, how much of your capital you are prepared to lose on a single trade or a number of trades on that day ? If it is painful then lower this figure. Is it $100, $50 or even $10 ?
                            Your stoploss placement will now control your lotsize, the larger the stoploss, the smaller the lot size. Do not have fixed lot sizes with fixed stoplosses, conditions change, what works one day will not necessarily work the next day.

Now once you know your ideal location of stoploss & risk capital, adjust your lot size accordingly, so you never lose more money than you planned, and you will not get nervous if price comes close to your stoploss. Don't place your stoploss just anywhere, this is a safety device to prevent calamities, once placed don't move it away to prevent it being hit. If you do this, this will lead to very bad habits.
                            Go back to demo accounts, if you face a number of losses, re-evaluate your trading method. You will know from your demo trades how much drawdown to expect.

With this re-evaluation - Re-write your trading Plan.
                            Treat trading losses as a cost of doing business, learn from the losses, all businesses make varying amounts of profits & losses at different times of the year, why should it be any different with this business ?

Trading is a marathon, not a sprint race. Make sure you don't blow your account by trading with bad money management.
                            Last edited by shabz; 24-02-11, 11:25.

Comment

I'm follow the trend at 4 hour timeframe and entry market at 1 hour timeframe
                              So simple but not sure make profit :p LOL

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              Working...
                              X