Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aggressive Growth Trading Journal ($1,000 to $100,000)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Curry View Post
    Sorry I tried responding to this earlier but got an error, and then I forgot about it later.

I have actually tried setting the lot size to .05 and change the LotsDecimals to 2, but unfortunately this EA doesn't seem to work that way. It would be a nice feature to have to score a little extra cash. Another thing feature I wish this EA had was going beyond the MaximumLots setting. For example, if my RiskInPercent requires a position larger than MaximumLots, then open up additional positions with the remainder. If this were possible, it would exponentially increase the backtest I linked earlier. I sent Marc an e-mail about this but haven't gotten a response. To circumvent this I'll probably end up using multiple charts with this EA running.

I tried my settings starting on April 11th and it blew the account. Like I said, these settings are extremely aggressive and very risky, and not for the faint of heart.

I haven't been with TadawulFX for very long but so far I am very happy with them. The customer support is always very quick and friendly, and the spreads are small and fixed.

Thank you, Bill for your answer.

I'm maybe not quite awake, but I do not understand the problem with the "MaximumLots" parameter!

I see in your Strategy Tester Report
    TurboMorningTrade_EA_1.3

...RiskInPercent=22; MaximumLots=40;

So why not put a higher number,60,80 or 100 ( e.g. max lot your broker accepts.) ?

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
      Thank you, Bill for your answer.

I'm maybe not quite awake, but I do not understand the problem with the "MaximumLots" parameter!

I see in your Strategy Tester Report
      TurboMorningTrade_EA_1.3

...RiskInPercent=22; MaximumLots=40;

So why not put a higher number,60,80 or 100 ( e.g. max lot your broker accepts.) ?
      I think the way I explained it may have been confusing. So FMT/TMT uses money management to risk a certain percentage per trade, increasing or decreasing the size of the position (number of lots traded). However, once the account balance grows to around $100,000 with my settings, you'll start to hit the maximum lots per position cap on your positions, and FMT/TMT only opens one position per day. That means you are no longer risking the percentage you specified in the settings, but only up until the maximum lots per position cap (which happens to be 40 with my broker). This is bad because it no longer takes advantage of compounding risk/trade.

For instance, let's say that it's calculated that one day 22% risk/trade equals around 66.5 lots. The way it is now, only one position would be opened and (with my broker) it would be 40 lots because that is the maximum. The way it should be done is that if the calculated lots is over the maximum lots/position cap, then open up multiple positions. So for that example, to get around the max lots/position cap, two positions would be opened at the same exact time, one with 40 lots and another with 26.5 lots, a total of 66.5 lots.

I modified TMT last night to put these changes into effect. The results are absolutely retarded; such a large ending balance I can't even comprehend it. Keep in mind this is from a starting balance of $1000, within a year (2010.02.01 to 2010.11.30), with 99% modeling quality:

Code:
      http://bill.curry.name/backtests/fmt/StrategyTester4.htm
      I also modified it so that it would use the smallest lot steps possible to calculate the number of lots to risk (like you asked about in your last post) to give it a small boost of .5 lots here and there. The results of this were negligible with such a large account, but it would probably make a difference on a smaller account with a more sane risk/trade percentage.

EDIT: After modifying this EA so it would use the smallest lot step possible to calculate the size of the position, it no longer blows an account starting on April 11th, 2010 (a time of significant DD) even when using 22% risk/trade! So it seems this has made a significant difference when using smaller accounts, as I suspected. This is definitely something Marc should implement.
      Last edited by Bill Curry; 27-01-11, 17:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Curry View Post
        I think the way I explained it may have been confusing. So FMT/TMT uses money management to risk a certain percentage per trade, increasing or decreasing the size of the position (number of lots traded). However, once the account balance grows to around $100,000 with my settings, you'll start to hit the maximum lots per position cap on your positions, and FMT/TMT only opens one position per day. That means you are no longer risking the percentage you specified in the settings, but only up until the maximum lots per position cap (which happens to be 40 with my broker). This is bad because it no longer takes advantage of compounding risk/trade.

For instance, let's say that it's calculated that one day 22% risk/trade equals around 66.5 lots. The way it is now, only one position would be opened and (with my broker) it would be 40 lots because that is the maximum. The way it should be done is that if the calculated lots is over the maximum lots/position cap, then open up multiple positions. So for that example, to get around the max lots/position cap, two positions would be opened at the same exact time, one with 40 lots and another with 26.5 lots, a total of 66.5 lots.

I modified TMT last night to put these changes into effect. The results are absolutely retarded; such a large ending balance I can't even comprehend it. Keep in mind this is from a starting balance of $1000, within a year (2010.02.01 to 2010.11.30), with 99% modeling quality:

Code:
        http://bill.curry.name/backtests/fmt/StrategyTester4.htm
        I also modified it so that it would use the smallest lot steps possible to calculate the number of lots to risk (like you asked about in your last post) to give it a small boost of .5 lots here and there. The results of this were negligible with such a large account, but it would probably make a difference on a smaller account with a more sane risk/trade percentage.

EDIT: After modifying this EA so it would use the smallest lot step possible to calculate the size of the position, it no longer blows an account starting on April 11th, 2010 (a time of significant DD) even when using 22% risk/trade! So it seems this has made a significant difference when using smaller accounts, as I suspected. This is definitely something Marc should implement.
        Ok, thanks it is clear enough now, and I understand better.
        The results are awesome, $42M..... but I think it is impossible for the broker, or even for MT4 to handle such stream of orders at the same minute, but, hey, what a great dream, even if you cut down by 10,equity will grow pretty fast.(still multi-millionnaire!)

As for the smallest lot step, that's what I was hoping. (would handle DD) , great.

I'm thinking as I write: perhaps a Time delay after each order would let the stream smoother.

Anyway, great job Bill, it's getting very exciting!

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
          Ok, thanks it is clear enough now, and I understand better.
          The results are awesome, $42M..... but I think it is impossible for the broker, or even for MT4 to handle such stream of orders at the same minute, but, hey, what a great dream, even if you cut down by 10,equity will grow pretty fast.(still multi-millionnaire!)

As for the smallest lot step, that's what I was hoping. (would handle DD) , great.

I'm thinking as I write: perhaps a Time delay after each order would let the stream smoother.

Anyway, great job Bill, it's getting very exciting!
          Yeah, those results are just a proof of concept. I would never risk 22% of a multi-million dollar account!

Comment

Is that maximum lot that your broker allows per trade? If you wanted to risk more, couldn't you just open two identical trades?

Comment

Bill,

Is there a special reason, why you are using in your backtest a trading times 5:15 to 5:45 ?
              The original trading time should be around 1 1/2 hr. before London opening.
              On TadawulFX this should be around 7:30 if I am not mistaken … so probably 7:15 to 7:45 ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chrisbenjy View Post
                Is that maximum lot that your broker allows per trade? If you wanted to risk more, couldn't you just open two identical trades?
                Yup it's the maximum size per position that my broker allows. I've modified the EA to do exactly that: open up multiple identical trades with the only difference being size.

Originally posted by Forexpro View Post
                Bill,

Is there a special reason, why you are using in your backtest a trading times 5:15 to 5:45 ?
                The original trading time should be around 1 1/2 hr. before London opening.
                On TadawulFX this should be around 7:30 if I am not mistaken … so probably 7:15 to 7:45 ?

Thanks
                The trading times you mention is when the EA looks for a signal. I believe with FMT it only looks for a signal at 5:30, whereas TMT can look for a signal within a time range. I've found in my backtests that having the time range from 5:15-5:45 is the most profitable.

Comment

very interestingly
                  Last edited by Gaugas; 28-01-11, 12:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaugas View Post
                    very interestingly
                    What is so interesting huh ? You post this just to increase your post count huh ?

Comment

Originally posted by alansim View Post
                      What is so interesting huh ? You post this just to increase your post count huh ?
                      lol.........and did you post that to increase yours?...........and me mine.......etc.......etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kraven View Post
                        lol.........and did you post that to increase yours?...........and me mine.......etc.......etc.
                        lol Sometimes we need jokes to relax our mind and soul. For him maybe he is talking to a GHOST LOL

Comment

Originally posted by alansim View Post
                          He had asked a question but I guess he figured out the answer on his own and modified his post.

Comment

not for the growth of my posts, I've been registered since 2009 and I have less posts than you, I write where I consider useful.

just asked set fail Bill Curry, then i found set fail and i modified the post

sorry for my English
                            Last edited by Gaugas; 28-01-11, 15:52.

Comment

Bill i'm glad your keeping this thread going...and i'm looking forwards to seeing your results when you start again......hell, if you get 2 good months in a row i may even join you.

Comment

Originally posted by kraven View Post
                                Bill i'm glad your keeping this thread going...and i'm looking forwards to seeing your results when you start again......hell, if you get 2 good months in a row i may even join you.
                                Sure thing. I'll be starting back up after this weekend. It's a shame that I decided to stop trading on Wednesday... Thursday and Friday would've been winning trades! Oh well. Hopefully February is when the profit starts to roll in.

Comment

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                Working...
                                X